Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

DEN to LAX/SFO Full Meal and Everywhere Else West Coast Ever Getting Meals Back?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DEN to LAX/SFO Full Meal and Everywhere Else West Coast Ever Getting Meals Back?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2021, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by EWR764
Catering logistics are probably a consideration too.
this.
EWR764 likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by seat38a
I should probably also add that DEN-SNA cost more than LAX 99% of the time. Easily $100+ more in FC than DEN-LAX. I'm pretty sure DEN-SAN isn't a poor mans route either.
My parents live about 20 minutes from SNA. I'm absolutely wiling to pay a premium to fly that route instead of having to deal with LAX (and renting a car since I would never ask my 70-something parents to drive that far to pick us up). And my mom will have a home-cooked meal waiting for us so I have no need for an in-flight snack/meal.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 11:34 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
and dispense with the full service on redeyes/off hour flights in longer markets.
Agreed - I'm flying to LAX Tuesday and on what planet do people need a full meal on a 10:45pm takeoff - is anyone skipping dinner in Honolulu so they can eat airplane food at 11:30pm? I don't think so. Take drink orders pre-departure - give out some nuts/pretzels - be quite and let us sleep. Having a full service on a 777-300 at that time is beyond frustrating when one wants to get to sleep.
SPN Lifer, EWR764 and dilanesp like this.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 12:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
In the example above, there are a decent number of people that are willing to pay for F for DEN-LAX since that is the more popular (and more competitive) route.
It's not abut competition on the hub-to-hub. Hub-to-hubs are typically the least competitive routes among the mainline carriers, as it's generally not a winning strategy to compete with a carrier that has hubs at both ends.

While LAX-DEN is not the best example of a captive hub-to-hub, since both DL and AA have hubs at LAX, even with that, UA offers 2-3x as many daily nonstops as either DL or AA (and AS/B6 offer none).
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
The cost of the meal is built into the fare.
That's a fallacy. Airfare is not priced based on costs.
Catering logistics are probably a consideration too.
No question this is a big part of it.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 2:24 pm

Programs: united
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Thinking about this, does it strike anyone else as weird? Why would hub-hub versus other markets determine if customers are hungry?

Sure, I get that it is easier for United to cater when at their hubs, but makes no sense from a customer perspective.
As long as there is a law of supply and demand, the lower cost to UA of catering at its hubs will play a part in this decision.

As it should. I think consumers are far better off when the airline makes money.
​​​​​
​​​​
Old Nov 15, 2021, 3:45 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Thinking about this, does it strike anyone else as weird? Why would hub-hub versus other markets determine if customers are hungry?

Sure, I get that it is easier for United to cater when at their hubs, but makes no sense from a customer perspective.
It is "weird" to you because you mistakenly believe that the customer perspective is what matters. (I personally agree with you. 20 years I was on a flight with Mike Gunn (AA VP of Marketing) when they first stopped full hot meals in coach and I wanted to tell him that they were wrong - but that didn't change anything.)
Old Nov 15, 2021, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Agreed - I'm flying to LAX Tuesday and on what planet do people need a full meal on a 10:45pm takeoff - is anyone skipping dinner in Honolulu so they can eat airplane food at 11:30pm? I don't think so. Take drink orders pre-departure - give out some nuts/pretzels - be quite and let us sleep. Having a full service on a 777-300 at that time is beyond frustrating when one wants to get to sleep.
Maybe try ear plugs and an eyeshade? It's not like the FAs are barking.
DELee likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 5:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
If people fly for the food, then they have an issue…food is great but it’s not the reason I fly….
F9LASDEN likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 5:58 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Originally Posted by boss315
If people fly for the food, then they have an issue…food is great but it’s not the reason I fly….
Some of us who travel for pleasure or are just flying to meet the "fly to the finish" promo, do choose an airline based on food when all else is the same. I've chosen * Alliance carrier over United because of the food and service. I guess I have issues.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Some of us who travel for pleasure or are just flying to meet the "fly to the finish" promo, do choose an airline based on food when all else is the same. I've chosen * Alliance carrier over United because of the food and service. I guess I have issues.
Not sure why people find it necessary to denigrate and dismiss the reasons for why people fly - especially on FlyerTalk.

David
SPN Lifer and MatthewLAX like this.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 3:41 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Well after looking at SFO777 trip report, I might book myself on Delta for DEN - LAX for Christmas. While Delta does not offer meals between DEN - LAX their Sky Club offerings look 1000000% better than the pathetic garbage currently offered at the DEN United Club. I'm at a point where once my TG flight is over, I will have met the Fly To The Finish and renewed my status so probably a good time to try something new before the clock starts new on 1/1/2022. Besides, DEN - LAX in FC is substantially cheaper than United for the same date.

If I have issues for picking an airline based on food, then I must be psychotic for choosing an airline based on the lounge food offerings.
SPN Lifer and DELee like this.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 5:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Well after looking at SFO777 trip report, I might book myself on Delta for DEN - LAX for Christmas. While Delta does not offer meals between DEN - LAX their Sky Club offerings look 1000000% better than the pathetic garbage currently offered at the DEN United Club. I'm at a point where once my TG flight is over, I will have met the Fly To The Finish and renewed my status so probably a good time to try something new before the clock starts new on 1/1/2022. Besides, DEN - LAX in FC is substantially cheaper than United for the same date.

If I have issues for picking an airline based on food, then I must be psychotic for choosing an airline based on the lounge food offerings.
Enjoy the less psychotic offerings elsewhere!

David
Old Nov 16, 2021, 8:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Well after looking at SFO777 trip report, I might book myself on Delta for DEN - LAX for Christmas. While Delta does not offer meals between DEN - LAX their Sky Club offerings look 1000000% better than the pathetic garbage currently offered at the DEN United Club.
Just be aware of the DL situation at LAX, which has been pretty miserable all year, including bus gates.
seat38a and findark like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.