Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

No more aircraft with Polaris seats from IAD-LAX?

No more aircraft with Polaris seats from IAD-LAX?

Old Nov 10, 21, 7:23 pm

Good to know -- I was looking at LAX-IAD for some dates between Xmas and New Years, and was surprised to see that it was mostly 737s, not the widebodies! I may well end up migrating over to DL for this return flight.
Old Nov 10, 21, 7:24 pm

Programs: A few here and there
2-4-2

Originally Posted by bloomintheair View Post
Appreciate the detailed info. I double checked, and it looks like starting in March UA2276 is showing a 772 with 2-4-2. How bad is it? Worse than 753 or 738/9 even with the lie-flat?
As long as you stay away from the middle and go for the window pairs theyre not too bad. Way better than the 753 or the 737. Its a full lie flat but an older seat. The 4 middle seats are awful but way better than coach or even domestic first in my opinion.
Old Nov 10, 21, 7:25 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Concerning the 772PW, Kirby has specifically stated UA intends to bring them back. March is unlikely but some cargo service may occur first (releasing some other aircraft back for passenger service). Boeing has applied for resumption of service,
UA Temporarily Grounds Boeing 777-200 (PW Power); Impacts on aircraft assignments
Old Nov 10, 21, 10:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
Originally Posted by Drunkmuppet View Post
As long as you stay away from the middle and go for the window pairs theyre not too bad. Way better than the 753 or the 737. Its a full lie flat but an older seat. The 4 middle seats are awful but way better than coach or even domestic first in my opinion.
The 4 middle seats are not bad at all. There's no way they're any worse than the domestic first recliner seats and I'd argue miles better. No where near Polaris pods but still quite good. Very comfortable even if some privacy is sacrificed.
Old Nov 10, 21, 10:13 pm

Programs: UA silver, Bonvoy gold
The 2-4-2s are fine. No small foot wells. You actually get a true 6+ feet of sleeping space
Old Nov 10, 21, 10:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by Unitedloyalflyer View Post
The 2-4-2s are fine. No small foot wells. You actually get a true 6+ feet of sleeping space
I like them too. But you'll definitely get to know your neighbors in the center 4.
Old Nov 10, 21, 10:35 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, WN A-List, Hilto Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Originally Posted by Unitedloyalflyer View Post
The length of the sleeping space is good on the 2-4-2 aircraft, but width is very tight (I have broad shoulders and bump against my neighbors shoulders when we are both sitting up) and there is no at-seat storage space.
Old Nov 10, 21, 11:29 pm

Programs: UA silver, Bonvoy gold
Originally Posted by zombietooth View Post
I like them too. But you'll definitely get to know your neighbors in the center 4.
Never interacted with my neighbor on my right at all when I flew them a couple of years ago to HI. Space was fine. Talked to my wife on my left only. Didn't feel that close at all
Old Nov 11, 21, 2:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Drunkmuppet View Post
This. For a transcon, the 2-4-2 lie flat is clearly better than the 753 or 737. Only narrow body that is better is the 752 with lie flat.
Old Nov 11, 21, 4:51 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bloomintheair View Post
Appreciate the detailed info. I double checked, and it looks like starting in March UA2276 is showing a 772 with 2-4-2. How bad is it? Worse than 753 or 738/9 even with the lie-flat?
I prefer the 2-4-2 to a certain degree - pick the seats going backward and I get better sleep - it is lie flat and you are going domestic - it can't be that bad.
Old Nov 11, 21, 5:16 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Globalist
For a transcon its not a big deal...if you get a pair of 2 (unless you're with a family in which case maybe this is a plus?) It is very sad that they are planning to use them for Hawaii...and likely on the IAD-HNL route. If that is in fact the case, I'll do the hop from DCA-CLT and take AA all the way to HNL.
Old Nov 11, 21, 12:20 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
Originally Posted by Kmxu View Post
LAX-EWR-DCA/IAD will guarantee lie-flat seats on LAX-EWR, too.
not guaranteed, unfortunately, as UA has on occasion swapped in a 757-300, which doesnt provide lie flats. But thats not common.

Search this Thread