737 MAX 8

Old Nov 10, 21, 5:26 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Morris County, NJ
Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Posts: 2,020
737 MAX 8

Good morning!

Mods - I couldn’t find an appropriate existing thread for the MAX 8, so please, if I missed it, feel free to move.

Had the pleasure of flying a MAX 8 yesterday. Thought it was very comfortable; the new IFE screens are wonderful especially. That said, one thing I found very disappointing was airflow. Not sure if it was my seat (2A) or not, but even with the newer style “quarter turn” vent fully open on the overhead panel, it felt like there was barely any airflow at all.

I’m back on a 73G this morning and have the older style twist vent, and *plenty* of airflow.

Is this a common thing on the MAX series, or was there maybe an issue with my seat vents?

Sounds like a silly thing to focus on, I know, but as the cabin warmed up I was getting hotter by the minute….

(I hereby nominate myself for entry into the “least substantive thing you can complain about” thread ….)
dmurphynj is online now  
Old Nov 10, 21, 6:36 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: LAX IAH AMS
Programs: UA GS 1MM
Posts: 1,039
I tend to agree but those arent new with the MAX 8. same on all MAX and the NG 737's with the sky interior.... I believe that is what boeing calls it. As well as the 787.
avi8tir is offline  
Old Nov 10, 21, 7:06 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Morris County, NJ
Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Posts: 2,020
Originally Posted by avi8tir View Post
I tend to agree but those arent new with the MAX 8. same on all MAX and the NG 737's with the sky interior.... I believe that is what boeing calls it. As well as the 787.
The vent certainly isn't new, but the airflow was *awful* compared to the NG Sky Interiors and of course the FireDreamliners. Both had a bunch of pressure; this was slightly more than a trickle.
dmurphynj is online now  
Old Nov 10, 21, 7:34 am
  #4  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: At home in the PNW
Posts: 48,614
Originally Posted by dmurphynj View Post
The vent certainly isn't new, but the airflow was *awful* compared to the NG Sky Interiors and of course the FireDreamliners. Both had a bunch of pressure; this was slightly more than a trickle.
I experienced the same thing on a TK 738 Max just a few weeks ago. I thought it was odd as well.
halls120 is online now  
Old Nov 10, 21, 7:47 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: EWR
Programs: UA 1.6MM 1K, UC Lifetime , HHonors Diamond, Presidential Plus card holder
Posts: 494
Flew a Max8 on Saturday in 4F and the airflow seemed fine (meaning I did not notice any issue with it). I thought it was one of the best domestic F's I have traveled in.
8MiHi is offline  
Old Nov 10, 21, 8:12 am
  #6  
168
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Programs: UA-1K, AA-Gold, H GP-LIfeTime Diamond
Posts: 595
Back in Oct flew a Max 9, bird #7523 had the same issue in seat 1F. I want the air full blast on me to simulate flying with the wind. Flying another Max 9 later this week and hopefully we are just dealing with a few isolated birds.

I also enjoy the view during taxi. Is it me (5’7”) or do you noticed the top of the windows seems to be lower than other 737NG series? My view was the taxiway underneath and the patch of grass. Can’t really and see the next taxiway/planes unless I sit way low to the seat.
168 is offline  
Old Nov 10, 21, 8:34 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: AVP & PEK
Programs: UA 1K 1.6MM, Hertz PC
Posts: 4,687
Originally Posted by 168 View Post
I want the air full blast on me to simulate flying with the wind.
Just open the window an inch or two.
8MiHi, downinit, nexus7556 and 3 others like this.
narvik is offline  
Old Nov 10, 21, 8:46 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: EWAARGHHH
Programs: UA: Plat; MAR: T
Posts: 44
One thing I really like about the MAX8 is you can connect your own BT devices to the IFE.
Dyce likes this.
EWAarghhh is offline  
Old Nov 10, 21, 12:24 pm
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Morris County, NJ
Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Posts: 2,020
Originally Posted by halls120 View Post
I experienced the same thing on a TK 738 Max just a few weeks ago. I thought it was odd as well.
Originally Posted by 168 View Post
Back in Oct flew a Max 9, bird #7523 had the same issue in seat 1F. I want the air full blast on me to simulate flying with the wind. Flying another Max 9 later this week and hopefully we are just dealing with a few isolated birds.
Good, I thought maybe it was just me! halls120 , do you remember what approximate row you were in? Thanks for the feedback -- it was definitely noticeable ...

Originally Posted by 8MiHi View Post
Flew a Max8 on Saturday in 4F and the airflow seemed fine (meaning I did not notice any issue with it). I thought it was one of the best domestic F's I have traveled in.
... or maybe not? But I agree, it was nice as a domestic F. Then again, I thought the 73G today was also quite nice with the newer seats and all. I don't watch much in the way of programming on the screen, so aside from that ... the MAX didn't feel much different. Bring on the A321 lie flats!!

Originally Posted by 168 View Post
I also enjoy the view during taxi. Is it me (5’7”) or do you noticed the top of the windows seems to be lower than other 737NG series? My view was the taxiway underneath and the patch of grass. Can’t really and see the next taxiway/planes unless I sit way low to the seat.
I didn't notice, but don't "think" it's much different as far as cabin dimension or placement? Guess I could be wrong?

Originally Posted by EWAarghhh View Post
One thing I really like about the MAX8 is you can connect your own BT devices to the IFE.
For sure. I forgot about that - wanted to check out whether Channel 9 was broadcasting, realized I forgot my BT dongle at home, and gave up. I completely forgot the IFE is BT capable!! Thanks for the reminder.
8MiHi likes this.
dmurphynj is online now  
Old Nov 10, 21, 1:37 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: PDX
Programs: AA LT PLT (2.6+ MM), UA *G, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
Posts: 1,624
It's not just the front of the bus. Even in coach the airflow from those new styled air vents on many newer 737 variants is truly pathetic. I find myself checking a couple of times during the flight to see if it is in the open position....
timfountain is offline  
Old Nov 10, 21, 2:37 pm
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Houston
Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Posts: 11,787
Probably an energy efficiency thing to scale airflow back to the bare minimum.
mduell is online now  
Old Nov 10, 21, 3:10 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: AVP & PEK
Programs: UA 1K 1.6MM, Hertz PC
Posts: 4,687
Are we sure the air volume/flow isn't adjustable or controllable by the crew?
narvik is offline  
Old Nov 10, 21, 3:14 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: CTU (Chengdu, China)/ SFO (San Francisco, USA)
Programs: UA 1K/1MM; Marriott Lifetime Gold
Posts: 957
Aircraft geek here - had to try to experience MAX 8 but the damn airline (Southwest) swapped for a regular 738 in the last minute twice in the row. I experienced UA's MAX 9 back in April and really liked it. I felt MAX 9 is quieter than the regular 737NGs, especially during take-off and cruising.

Because of the limited number of MAX 8 UA has as of now, UA does not put MAX 8 on certain routes, or do they?
UA vs NW is offline  
Old Nov 10, 21, 8:59 pm
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Houston
Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Posts: 11,787
Originally Posted by UA vs NW View Post
Because of the limited number of MAX 8 UA has as of now, UA does not put MAX 8 on certain routes, or do they?
Mostly low yield Florida (FLL/PBI/MCO/RSW) and southwest (LAS/PHX/SAN) markets out of EWR, but also a bunch of random daily or weekly routes throughout the network.
mduell is online now  
Old Nov 10, 21, 9:06 pm
  #15  
168
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Programs: UA-1K, AA-Gold, H GP-LIfeTime Diamond
Posts: 595
Originally Posted by narvik View Post
Are we sure the air volume/flow isn't adjustable or controllable by the crew?
I asked the FA if the airflow is adjustable during the flight. She came back and told me it is all the way up on high. Unless she was not familiar with all the controls yet.
narvik and 8MiHi like this.
168 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread