Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Alternate ways to reach UA in case of phone overload

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2021, 11:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium

Haven't flown UA for years and tonight I gave up trying to reach AA after being on hold for 4 hours. UA answered after a few minutes (I have equal status on both - mid tier). I know I can reach AA on twitter but don't know alternate ways to reach UA.
So if I am unlucky and a flight gets cancelled and customer service agents are overwhelmed and phone holds are long and I can't rebook online (likely b/c of award travel) are there any other means of contact? Agent mentioned they have chat but I don't see it on the website - have I missed it? Can I reach them on twitter? TIA
Old Nov 8, 2021, 12:08 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
UA has Twitter and FB agents ( and I believe some have mentioned Instagram)

UA has been doing better than others on phone support.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 8, 2021 at 12:16 am
Old Nov 8, 2021, 1:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
UA has Twitter and FB agents ( and I believe some have mentioned Instagram)

UA has been doing better than others on phone support.
Thanks I only have twitter (don't use FB or Insta) - now I have a backup
Old Nov 8, 2021, 4:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by estnet
Haven't flown UA for years and tonight I gave up trying to reach AA after being on hold for 4 hours. UA answered after a few minutes (I have equal status on both - mid tier). I know I can reach AA on twitter but don't know alternate ways to reach UA.
So if I am unlucky and a flight gets cancelled and customer service agents are overwhelmed and phone holds are long and I can't rebook online (likely b/c of award travel) are there any other means of contact? Agent mentioned they have chat but I don't see it on the website - have I missed it? Can I reach them on twitter? TIA
AA customer service can be reached via its app.
Old Nov 8, 2021, 5:52 am

I've always found Twitter (@United) to be incredibly helpful. When sending a DM, spell out as briefly and concisely as possible what your questions is and also what you would like done. Even with shorter wait times, I find Twitter to be a better way to handle many issues.
princeville likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2021, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Via the chat function in the UA app.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2021, 6:12 am

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
Originally Posted by geckoflyer
I've always found Twitter (@United) to be incredibly helpful. When sending a DM, spell out as briefly and concisely as possible what your questions is and also what you would like done. Even with shorter wait times, I find Twitter to be a better way to handle many issues.
to take it a step further, i always include my confirmation number, MP number and DOB in the initial message as well - along with specific instructions for what i would like done.

if any changes need to be made, they’ll ask you these questions in their reply. it can take minutes to hours for them to get back to your message, so you might as well eliminate step two. sorta like being at a restaurant and giving your credit card to your server when they come with the check.
Old Nov 8, 2021, 7:46 am

Programs: UA1K MM, JL JMB SAPPHIRE, Marriott Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TomMM
Tried that the other day, and the chat agent even don't know what SDC is
Old Nov 8, 2021, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gokeeper
Tried that the other day, and the chat agent even don't know what SDC is
I used it during a IAD-FRA flight and the agent was alright but the connectivity stunk.
Old Nov 8, 2021, 8:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by gokeeper
the chat agent even don't know what SDC is
It's best not to use Flyertalk-specific acronyms with customer service agents.
JimInOhio and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Nov 8, 2021, 8:51 am

Programs: UA1K MM, JL JMB SAPPHIRE, Marriott Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
It's best not to use Flyertalk-specific acronyms with customer service agents.
I didn't, I asked the agent if he/she can do a Same Day Change for a flight out of HNL and he/she replied all evening flight will arrive the next day
shdflyer likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2021, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by geckoflyer
Thanks useful info
Originally Posted by TomMM
I was looking on the website, but I can't find chat in the app - can u help?
Originally Posted by riphamilton
to take it a step further, i always include my confirmation number, MP number and DOB in the initial message as well - along with specific instructions for what i would like done.
Are they able to handle irreg ops affecting award travel on partner? Eg I have and award and a revenue ticket (one each way) LH connecting to UA (and the other way vice versa), to complicate matters the longest flight is economy ug with pluspoints. So it would not just be a simple UA to UA change - might involve having to rebook a revenue hopefully keeping my ug and/or rebooking an award for a cancelling flight (that connects not just changing dates).
The other scenario is short LH connect to LH transatlantic to EWR connect on UA EWR-SFO - award. So if the originating gets cancelled by LH I don't want to rely on them to rebook a UA award. Well anyway maybe I'm worrying too much - but I'm out of practice but well aware that reaching the right person (with status at UA and them issuing the tickets) is likely to get me further than trying to deal with LH if they cancel/delay a small segment that is the originating flight.

if any changes need to be made, they’ll ask you these questions in their reply. it can take minutes to hours for them to get back to your message, so you might as well eliminate step two. sorta like being at a restaurant and giving your credit card to your server when they come with the check.[/QUOTE]
Old Nov 8, 2021, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by estnet
Thanks useful info

I was looking on the website, but I can't find chat in the app - can u help?

In the App select More and then Contact Us.
Old Nov 8, 2021, 12:57 pm

Programs: united
One old trick I had was to call the Spanish number
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2021, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Lots of good suggestions in here - foreign call centers, Twitter, etc. I was talking to Twitter this morning - they are not always great on there, but they do tend to respond fairly quickly.

I was just noting in another thread the text option - anytime you call (or at least, when I do), they give an option to get texted a link to start a chat. I don't know if this team is the same as the teams that answer Twitter, etc., but I've found that a helpful option for certain things (though you do have to go through a menu option first). If you have an iPhone, it puts you on a message thread that has the UA logo, etc. I've found that you can always go back to that in messages, and start a new convo from there.

That said, I'm silver, and found the hold times are fairly short these days - I don't think I've waited more than maybe 3-5 minutes since maybe Labor Day or so. UA sure beats Air Canada, where to be fair I don't have status, but at just before midnight PT, I had a 45 minute wait.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.