Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 7, 2021, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dav3d
From narvik (post 40):

To enroll: https://avisstatus.mileageplus.com/

(You will need: Mileage Plus Number, Avis Wizard Number)

United Avis Discount Portal: cars.united.com/avisbudget

Avis President's Club Status
Qualification: United MileagePlus® members with Premier® Platinum and higher status, as well as primary Cardmembers of the United ClubSM Infinite Card, UnitedSM Presidential PlusSM Card, United ClubSM Business Card, and UnitedSM Presidential PlusSM Business Card qualify to enroll for Avis President’s Club status in countries where the Avis elite status is available. Enrollment for President’s Club status is required, and the status will be in effect up to 7 business days after enrollment and acceptance. MileagePlus members who hold trial Premier status with MileagePlus, including without limitation because of a MileagePlus Premier status match challenge program, are not eligible for status with Avis through this offer.

Benefits:
  • Start your journey with a double upgrade - whenever it's available.
  • Guaranteed car every time.
  • Dedicated President's Club number for reservations and customer support.
  • Accelerate your rewards by opting into Avis Preferred Points. Receive 50% more points for every dollar you spend.
Avis Preferred Plus Status
Qualification: United MileagePlus members with Premier Silver or Premier Gold status qualify to enroll for Avis Preferred Plus status in countries where the Avis elite status is available. Enrollment for Avis Preferred Plus status is required, and such status will be in effect up to 7 business days after enrollment and acceptance. MileagePlus members who hold trial Premier status in MileagePlus, including without limitation because of a MileagePlus Premier status match challenge program are not eligible for status with Avis through this offer.

Benefits:
  • Receive complimentary upgrades (whenever available)
  • Earn 25%-50% more points for every qualifying dollar you spend
  • Use a special Avis Preferred Plus number for reservations and customer service support
Print Wikipost

United and Avis ink new partnership

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2022, 8:24 am

Programs: UA AU MM,HH Diamond,Hyatt Globalist , Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by FreqFlyerCLE
same here. Now to see if it works
I got the email as well. I logged onto Avis (previously linked to get President’s Club) and tried to make a reservation. I got “Sold Out” even though President’s club claims a guaranteed reservation if you are at least 24 hours out which I am.

I really did expect that though, there aren’t any rental cars available in GUM next weekend. None, doesn’t matter the company.
Old Jan 28, 2022, 3:49 am

Programs: United Premiere 1K, SW Companion, Marriott Titanium Elite lifetime, Hertz Presidents Circle
Avis Memebership question

I am the main cardholder (PP Business) - but my husband is the main driver.
He is also an authorized user on the PP card.

Can I register with his name or does the main cardholder have to be the one to register?
He has an avis account already - I don't as he is normally the driver...

He is already Hertz President Circle so usually uses that but will be nice to have another option when needed.
Old Feb 1, 2022, 5:59 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, National Executive Elite
No Presidents Club joy on a recent rental in Lihue, HI.

That said, Avis was closed when I arrived at 1030PM and they shuttled us to Budget for pre-assigned cars. The app wouldn't show anything or selection, as I half expected. I suppose I could have pressed, but it was late, I was tired, there were others waiting in the poors line, and it wasn't a big deal because I try not to be an entitled Ken about stuff like that. Bigger things in life to worry about. The Kia K5 was nice enough and loads of fun in sport or custom mode when I flogged it through the Waimea Canyon State Park twisties. It will probably need a new set of tires soon.
Old Feb 8, 2022, 6:08 am

I have a German MP account and a German Avis account. Per the United site the match was immediate, but I have yet to see it on my account. Avis' DE and US sites are significantly different, so maybe I need to give it a few days..?
Old Feb 8, 2022, 6:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by uanj
I am not going to miss Hertz, the pandemic pricing broke any remaining loyalty. I have nothing against Hertz, but as a traveler you make sure you have a decent airfare only to find out the daily car rental rate will be more than the airfare.... you become car rental company agnostic really quick. Paying 600 dollars a day to rent a car yet having to wait in line at the airport over an hour and half to even get the car, um, no thanks Hertz. Glad I discovered other channels.

I think that all in all the pandemic was handled best by Amtrak, then airlines, then hotels, and worst by the car rental companies. Would make an interesting topic to discuss elsewhere.
This. Last September the line at the Hertz counter at SEA was ridiculous. I stopped renting from them in 2017 because of their poor service and inflated rental rates. I just looked at booking a car at SEA in July, and to no surprise, Hertz was the most expensive.

Last edited by halls120; Feb 8, 2022 at 6:22 am
Old Feb 8, 2022, 10:34 am

Programs: UA GS, MR TE, HH Diamond, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, National EE, Avis PC
I have decided to give Avis a try for my first 2022 trip, starting this Sunday the 13th at SFO. Many years as Hertz PC and very used to that process with walking the PC section and picking my car. Never rented with Avis previously but it seems the process is different, namely picking a car from their app vs walking a section of the lot. Now I have Avis PC as well and have made reservations with both Avis and Hertz.

My plan is to see what car(s) are offered to me on the Avis app and if I don't like what I see, then cancel the Avis reservation and go with Hertz. Conversely if I am assigned a car I like, then I will go with Avis and cancel the Hertz reservation.

Neither of my rates are prepaid so I can cancel at any time. However I read some earlier post on FT that said something about me being charged if I cancel less than 30 minutes before the reservation start time. Which is exactly what my plan is. Appreciate any thoughts/comments.

Also in general, for those of you UA elites who have switch/tried out Avis after the change, how do you feel about it vs Hertz?
Old Feb 8, 2022, 1:32 pm

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by pigzilla
I have decided to give Avis a try for my first 2022 trip, starting this Sunday the 13th at SFO. Many years as Hertz PC and very used to that process with walking the PC section and picking my car. Never rented with Avis previously but it seems the process is different, namely picking a car from their app vs walking a section of the lot. Now I have Avis PC as well and have made reservations with both Avis and Hertz.

My plan is to see what car(s) are offered to me on the Avis app and if I don't like what I see, then cancel the Avis reservation and go with Hertz. Conversely if I am assigned a car I like, then I will go with Avis and cancel the Hertz reservation.

Neither of my rates are prepaid so I can cancel at any time. However I read some earlier post on FT that said something about me being charged if I cancel less than 30 minutes before the reservation start time. Which is exactly what my plan is. Appreciate any thoughts/comments.

Also in general, for those of you UA elites who have switch/tried out Avis after the change, how do you feel about it vs Hertz?
I'm wondering about this as well - pretty much mirroring your queries...

If others can chime in, it would be appreciated.

Also, does Avis have a minimum rental class that one should book like Hertz - in order to get to pick any car on the lot as a PC member?
pigzilla likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2022, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
I'm wondering about this as well - pretty much mirroring your queries...

If others can chime in, it would be appreciated.

Also, does Avis have a minimum rental class that one should book like Hertz - in order to get to pick any car on the lot as a PC member?
This was also the same question I had. And from careful perusal of the Avis upgrade process for PC as well as their general car assigning process, it seems our experience from Hertz does not apply (where we book minimum C class and can pick anything in PC).

AFAIK (again, from what I have read, not my experience, yet) there is no "Avis PC" section on the Avis lot that we can go and choose a car from, like we do with Hertz today. Instead, about an hour before your reservation start time, you will get an update on your Avis app with your car assignment and parking location designator. If you do not like your car assignment, you have the ability to choose from a few other options in the app. If none of those work for you, then its off to the Avis customer service desk (hopefully with a separate PC area) to get a better car if you can.

Hope to hear from others who may know better
Old Feb 14, 2022, 5:41 pm

Programs: AA Gold
This was also the same question I had. And from careful perusal of the Avis upgrade process for PC as well as their general car assigning process, it seems our experience from Hertz does not apply (where we book minimum C class and can pick anything in PC).

AFAIK (again, from what I have read, not my experience, yet) there is no "Avis PC" section on the Avis lot that we can go and choose a car from, like we do with Hertz today. Instead, about an hour before your reservation start time, you will get an update on your Avis app with your car assignment and parking location designator. If you do not like your car assignment, you have the ability to choose from a few other options in the app. If none of those work for you, then its off to the Avis customer service desk (hopefully with a separate PC area) to get a better car if you can.

Hope to hear from others who may know better
I've always booked Compact at my company's rate and I've gotten full-size/premium SUVs, Passat (Premium), Charger ("Cool Cars"/Muscle), and forgot-what-model but a Mercedes before at both airport and neighborhood (returning to airport) location. In the "worst" case scenario, I'll get a Full-size or at least Intermediate. For the more "interesting" cars, you most likely need to be returning to an airport location in order to get those (unless booked at the specific class at an airport location).

Always go up to the counter and ask for another car if the app doesn't offer you something you want (app does offer Premium at airport locations very often though when I booked Compact). They might say "sorry we don't have many cars for you to choose from" but then just ask if the specific car model is available.
pigzilla likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by leftysauce
I've always booked Compact at my company's rate and I've gotten full-size/premium SUVs, Passat (Premium), Charger ("Cool Cars"/Muscle), and forgot-what-model but a Mercedes before at both airport and neighborhood (returning to airport) location. In the "worst" case scenario, I'll get a Full-size or at least Intermediate. For the more "interesting" cars, you most likely need to be returning to an airport location in order to get those (unless booked at the specific class at an airport location).

Always go up to the counter and ask for another car if the app doesn't offer you something you want (app does offer Premium at airport locations very often though when I booked Compact). They might say "sorry we don't have many cars for you to choose from" but then just ask if the specific car model is available.
Thanks for the feedback. Here is my update from going through this experience yesterday.

When I landed in SFO around 12:30pm, I checked my Avis app while the plan was taxiing to the gate. Like you, I had booked a Compact at my company's rate. The app showed me a Honda Accord. When I tried to change it, the app said something along the lines of "your reservation/selection cannot be changed". This being my first experience with Avis, I felt it did not bode well for my upgrade chances if I went down to the Avis counter and tried to get a better car in person. Also I was worried that even if I did so, it would be past my reservation start time and I would be unable to cancel and be stuck with the Accord. I am returning the car to SFO btw, not a different location.

So I ended up canceling on the Avis app and going down to the Hertz PC section like I normally do. There I was greeted with a nice selection of premium cars including 1 BMW X1, 2 BMW 5 series, 2 Infiniti QX60s, 2 Infiniti Q50s, some Chargers, and I am sure there were others that I did not notice. Ended up with the X1 and am quite happy with it.

I may consider trying Avis again but my worry remains re getting stuck with the assigned car and not being able to cancel, if I am unable to wrangle the upgrade I want at the Avis counter (post my reservation start time). Have you (or others) been able to successfully cancel your Avis reservation at this stage?
Old Feb 14, 2022, 6:15 pm

Thanks for the feedback. Here is my update from going through this experience yesterday.

When I landed in SFO around 12:30pm, I checked my Avis app while the plan was taxiing to the gate. Like you, I had booked a Compact at my company's rate. The app showed me a Honda Accord. When I tried to change it, the app said something along the lines of "your reservation/selection cannot be changed". This being my first experience with Avis, I felt it did not bode well for my upgrade chances if I went down to the Avis counter and tried to get a better car in person. Also I was worried that even if I did so, it would be past my reservation start time and I would be unable to cancel and be stuck with the Accord. I am returning the car to SFO btw, not a different location.

So I ended up canceling on the Avis app and going down to the Hertz PC section like I normally do. There I was greeted with a nice selection of premium cars including 1 BMW X1, 2 BMW 5 series, 2 Infiniti QX60s, 2 Infiniti Q50s, some Chargers, and I am sure there were others that I did not notice. Ended up with the X1 and am quite happy with it.

I may consider trying Avis again but my worry remains re getting stuck with the assigned car and not being able to cancel, if I am unable to wrangle the upgrade I want at the Avis counter (post my reservation start time). Have you (or others) been able to successfully cancel your Avis reservation at this stage?
ah I don't think the start time really matters besides holding your reservation until 30mins past it.
Even if you're "stuck" with or assigned a car, you can always go to any corporate location to do an exchange at any time for any reason per PC agent. Yesterday I exchanged my kia (picked up from a neighborhood location) for a mercedes at the airport but it was due to a "safety" issue.

There I was greeted with a nice selection of premium cars including 1 BMW X1, 2 BMW 5 series, 2 Infiniti QX60s, 2 Infiniti Q50s, some Chargers, and I am sure there were others that I did not notice. Ended up with the X1 and am quite happy with it.
that is lit. I've never rented from Hertz (also PC from status match) before but if it were not for the $26/day, waived under age fee plus CDW and ALI included with Avis, I would definitely try renting from Hertz lol
pigzilla likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2022, 2:37 am

Originally Posted by leftysauce
ah I don't think the start time really matters besides holding your reservation until 30mins past it.
Even if you're "stuck" with or assigned a car, you can always go to any corporate location to do an exchange at any time for any reason per PC agent. Yesterday I exchanged my kia (picked up from a neighborhood location) for a mercedes at the airport but it was due to a "safety" issue.

that is lit. I've never rented from Hertz (also PC from status match) before but if it were not for the $26/day, waived under age fee plus CDW and ALI included with Avis, I would definitely try renting from Hertz lol
how are you getting the 26/day??
Old Feb 15, 2022, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by Kleinnaf
how are you getting the 26/day??
Company rate/AWD but +taxes/fees so an intermediate could go from $28 to $41/day

Last edited by leftysauce; Feb 15, 2022 at 7:29 am
Old Feb 16, 2022, 2:12 pm

Programs: United 1K & 1MM, IHG Plat Elite, Hyatt Gold, Marriott GE, Hertz 5*, National Exec
Hertz President's continually gets me out of the airport quickly. Every time I pass the Avis counter, there's a line of generic customers waiting endlessly.
When Avis implements a grab-and-go system, I'll happily be onboard.
pigzilla likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 11:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by fastfxr
Hertz President's continually gets me out of the airport quickly. Every time I pass the Avis counter, there's a line of generic customers waiting endlessly.
When Avis implements a grab-and-go system, I'll happily be onboard.
I've tried the AVIS PC system for a few rentals this year and find it far inferior to Hertz. Mainly because of convenience and car selection (the APP is useless). I'm going back to Hertz now so that I'll requal for PC by the end of the year on my own.
pigzilla likes this.

Last edited by zombietooth; Feb 17, 2022 at 6:44 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.