Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How are 1Ks being treated by UA?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2021, 7:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
I feel like 1K is the threshold where you start to feel like they are treating you like a human being vs cattle
MOST GA/FA are pretty friendly and willing the go the extra mile for you. Got a personalized thank you from 2-3 captains. Seems more common with GS.

Best feature is the 1K line, longest INITIAL wait has been about 1min.

IRROPS handling doesn't seem as good as before. They use to proactively protect me on flights. Now I have to initiate and am told they are doing a favor/breaking rules. Even fixing missed connections often require manual intervention from me. I've found Twitter more useful than the 1K line sometimes as I can use it when the phone is not available. I'm not sure if my Twitter DMs get answered any faster as 1K.

PP is nice. So is free food (if the flight has any).
seanp7 and zombietooth like this.
Old Nov 4, 2021, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
If pre-boarding is important to you ... all my flights this year pre-boarded 1K.

Where it matters is irops. That is why I keep it. MX in ZRH a few weeks ago, got the message on my phone being in the LX lounge. By the time we were down at the UA gate we were already re-booked on an LX nonstop in full fare J. Everyone else I heard complaining about having to fly the next day.
Had similar experiences where we were protected on AA or alternative flights in J while on a delayed flight. O.k., those were years spending $70k on UA tickets, but I think this is just general 1K support.
findark and threecap like this.
Old Nov 4, 2021, 10:05 pm

Programs: NEXUS, MileagePlus Silver, Frontier Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dinoscool3
I was even greeted by name when I was asked what meal I want yesterday
I've never been greeted by name on UA. Interestingly, I was on Delta on an award flight and I don't have any status.
Old Nov 4, 2021, 10:13 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by trmbn65
I've never been greeted by name on UA.
I don't see how that is remotely possible. I just don't. I don't need to be greeted by name or really care - but when I was 1K and it had to be at least 25 years it was nearly 100% of the time on mainline flights.
seanp7 and dmurphynj like this.
Old Nov 5, 2021, 3:55 am

Programs: United 1K, 1.9MM
I have always been treated well as a 1K and appreciate it. This is my 25th year as a 1K or GS member and I am almost a 2MM. In 2021 I have flown 100,000 BIS and 18,500 PQP and was upgraded on almost all my flights. On most flights the Purser/International Service Manger has come over to introduce themselves and thank me for my loyalty. Sometimes the Captain has come over as well.
On my last flight 2 weeks ago from EWR to TLV they did not load my Kosher meal. When I landed, I had an email from United apologizing and providing a $250 ETC.
Old Nov 5, 2021, 4:40 am

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, MR Titanium
I have managed to use most of my PPs for upgrades to Europe, Hawaii and shorter flights, find the current 1K early boarding works well, and have been thanked more often for being a 1K this year. I also appreciate that United has been proactive over the past year in terms of starting new routes and maintaining operational reliability (e.g., relative to American) and thus feel my investment of flying 2MM with them was a good one.
threecap likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2021, 5:11 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM & 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by rbakker
One of the perks I like is pre-boarding but so far on both flights it's been "We now welcome 1K - and Group 1"
I haven't experienced this yet in the pandemic era, just took my 14th pandemic flight yesterday. In the past I only experienced this when the gate agent was clearly feeling pressure due to a delay or late start of boarding to try and expedite the boarding process or when the flight was very light. Either way, I just cut into the group 1 line. Generally people know what's going on but if I get words from someone I just say I'm 1K and keep going.

Otherwise, I don't think I've felt more or less recognition than before. I did get a business card from a captain of a HNL flight which is an overall rare occurrence.
Old Nov 5, 2021, 5:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold
Thanks for the suggestions and stories. I like the suggestion of asking the gate agents where pre-boarders should stand, I'll try that.

Thanks also for reminding me of the other perks which I haven't appreciated properly, like the 1K phone line (excellent service) and how I got a rebooking in record time (and upgraded to First) when in Houston for that hurricane - otherwise I would've been stuck there for 3 days.
Old Nov 5, 2021, 7:31 am

Programs: *
Originally Posted by rbakker
I like the suggestion of asking the gate agents where pre-boarders should stand, I'll try that.
But the whole aim of preboarding is that you don't need to stand anywhere waiting. You board before everyone else does, when called, or board later at your convenience. There should not be a standing or waiting line for preboarding.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2021, 8:15 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by ani90
But the whole aim of preboarding is that you don't need to stand anywhere waiting. You board before everyone else does, when called, or board later at your convenience. There should not be a standing or waiting line for preboarding.
Agree you shouldn't have to, but in practice you have at best a 10 second window if there are only a few 1K's on the flight. I feel sorry for parents of very young children who, if they're not positioned ready to board or visibly on their way up, haven't got a chance of getting there before then next pre-board group.
Old Nov 5, 2021, 8:59 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
I don't see how that is remotely possible. I just don't. I don't need to be greeted by name or really care - but when I was 1K and it had to be at least 25 years it was nearly 100% of the time on mainline flights.
It's funny you say that ... I've had excellent service on mainline, mostly greeted by name... but historically, my UAX flights are over-the-top with 1K recognition, almost to the point of being embarrassing. Especially on Mal flights - not only would they take 1K/GS orders first, but even served them before anyone else even got so much as a drink order.

Haven't flown UAX since this pandemic started so I can't say what it's like today, but my UAX experiences far outweigh mainline when it comes to "extra" 1K treatment.

All that said -- I'm pretty easy to please. Just bring me a black coffee when I board and we'll be quick friends. Almost anything else is forgiven ;-)
threecap likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2021, 9:47 am

Programs: UA 1K
I'm a big fan of the new contactless payment system, since I remember I had to awkwardly explain to flight attendants that 1K gets a free snack box or drink a few times to avoid them trying to charge me.

In terms of recognition, I've only recently started flying again; maybe ~12 domestic united segments, half I upgraded with plus points (too many to burn...) I have received zero recognition, but I don't really care as long as I get my snack box :P
Old Nov 5, 2021, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by dmurphynj

Haven't flown UAX since this pandemic started so I can't say what it's like today, but my UAX experiences far outweigh mainline when it comes to "extra" 1K treatment.
I've always been treated reasonably well on UAX - but I also give them pass if they miss something as many of the FA's one day might be doing a UA flight - then rotate to a DL flight - then rotate to a AS flight......

I do have an expectation on mainline to step it up - and in my experience, they mostly do.
dmurphynj likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2021, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by A Little Cow
I'm a big fan of the new contactless payment system, since I remember I had to awkwardly explain to flight attendants that 1K gets a free snack box or drink a few times to avoid them trying to charge me.

In terms of recognition, I've only recently started flying again; maybe ~12 domestic united segments, half I upgraded with plus points (too many to burn...) I have received zero recognition, but I don't really care as long as I get my snack box :P
With the contactless system, do you no longer need to explain? You just order and the system recognizes the status and waives the charge or something? I usually ask/confirm that the items I requested are free for 1k because I'm nervous not to do so.
Old Nov 5, 2021, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by Clemson
With the contactless system, do you no longer need to explain?
I've not explained - nor have I had an issue.
cfischer and ContinentalFan like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.