How are 1Ks being treated by UA?

Old Aug 11, 2022, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by mfirst
OIL-trash:
I think that was a trick question because I don't think UA has flights to Kansas that offer F.
I recently flew to NE and there were none.
-m
Omaha definitely has flights with F and that airport is in NE, not IA. The rest of them (LBF, EAR, etc.) do not.
True Kansas airports do not (HYS, SLN, DDC, LBL). Of course I'm assuming you mean "trick" because Kansas City definitely has F but is an airport across the river in Missouri.

-RM
Old Aug 11, 2022, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by nomad420
Ahhh the never ending boarding issue. I will admit UA has gotten their act together a bit better recently but it is still can be ridiculous chaos at the gate. Literally dozens of paxs of whatever status level standing in front of any line like confused cattle, poor sound quality on the PA system, and still issues with GA's who don't know or were not trained on the actual boarding routine all contribute to the the boarding confusion. Even with "status" I just board last. I have previously stated I usually minimize my carry on as I usually have to check luggage and I take aisle seats. But that is just my boarding MO I know others will strongly disagree.
I definitely see the attraction to boarding last; the only issue I have is that it increases the chances of finding a poacher in your seat with all the hassle involved with the eviction.
8080 likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 12:25 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
I dunno, boarding of commercial aircraft seems inherently chaotic. With a very few limited exceptions, the description you gave could be any airline, anywhere in the world. I think the fundamental problem is human nature, as opposed to any particular boarding process.
Totally agree, didn't mean to signal out only UA on this issue. Also, just experienced the small'ish gate issue with boarding of a 777 in DEN. What is it like 250 paxs crammed between the gate and the adjacent moving walkway, it was needless to say a mess.
lsquare and Kacee like this.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 12:59 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mfirst
... I think that was a trick question because I don't think UA has flights to Kansas that offer F.
Today (MCI -- shared airport of Kansas City, MO/KS)
DEN-MCI is A319 .
IAH-MCI is E75
ORD-MCI is A319
EWR-MCI is 738
IAD-MCI is E75

have flown MCI-SFO in the past on E75
Old Aug 11, 2022, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by Kacee
I dunno, boarding of commercial aircraft seems inherently chaotic. With a very few limited exceptions, the description you gave could be any airline, anywhere in the world. I think the fundamental problem is human nature, as opposed to any particular boarding process.

IME, UA boarding works relatively well these days, at least at my usual airports. They usually board at the designated time (something AA, AS, and DL never seem to do), and 1Ks have mostly figured out where to stand for pre-boarding. IME, the worst boarding experiences tend to occur where the gate area is too small - so, for example, boarding at LAX gate 77 (who ever thought this space was suitable for widebody boarding?) or HNL gate F1 will always suck, no matter the process.
I agree. I find it so funny when the rep goes on the PA and announce which boarding group is to line up and yet there are still ineligible people swarming the area near the counter.

Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
I definitely see the attraction to boarding last; the only issue I have is that it increases the chances of finding a poacher in your seat with all the hassle involved with the eviction.
​​​​​​​I generally don't have a problem with boarding last as it's less chaotic, but then there is the problem with finding space in the overhead bin above my seat in economy. If I have an expensive camera and lens with me, I want that to be near me.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 6:43 pm

Programs: United 1K/*G, HHonors Platinum
On yesterday's LAX-NRT UA 32 boarding, the GA came on the PA and said she was going to be very specific about the boarding process, as the screen listed the order. The first to board were a small group of gentlemen (at least two above/below 80), a couple of families with younger-than 2 year old children (one such family took the entire first raw and the children were very quiet the entire flight), a few active military personnel, no GS, and a 2-3 1Ks. She even turned away a few people who either did not know or just pretended not to know the process. Very nicely handled indeed.
The purser and the entire crew were great during boarding and flight; I got thanked for continuing to be a 1K by name (very difficult to pronounce).
And one of the early boarders happened to be Mr. Engelbert Humperdinck going to Manila (I think) for a concert and later a charity event. Upon landing he took his own carry-on from the overhead bin and refused the wheelchair. Looked to be in very good shape at 86.
GlobalServiced likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 11:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by selo
On yesterday's LAX-NRT UA 32 boarding, the GA came on the PA and said she was going to be very specific about the boarding process, as the screen listed the order. The first to board were a small group of gentlemen (at least two above/below 80), a couple of families with younger-than 2 year old children (one such family took the entire first raw and the children were very quiet the entire flight), a few active military personnel, no GS, and a 2-3 1Ks. She even turned away a few people who either did not know or just pretended not to know the process. Very nicely handled indeed.
The purser and the entire crew were great during boarding and flight; I got thanked for continuing to be a 1K by name (very difficult to pronounce).
And one of the early boarders happened to be Mr. Engelbert Humperdinck going to Manila (I think) for a concert and later a charity event. Upon landing he took his own carry-on from the overhead bin and refused the wheelchair. Looked to be in very good shape at 86.
His first concert is Resorts World at Genting Highlands, Malaysia and then, 3 concerts in Thailand at Hua Hin, Samui and Phuket. Thence, back to the US.
SPN Lifer and selo like this.
Old Aug 23, 2022, 6:23 pm

Programs: MC - Gold HH-Diamond UA - 1K
Originally Posted by RockinRon
On Friday's A320 flight, was given a handwritten note from the captain even though I was seated in 21A on an award ticket.
The onboard staff have no idea who has either paid by miles or money - or how much of each. This level of knowledge is not taught to the CS staff, only a few understand the ticket’s true value.

Originally Posted by Repooc17
UA still has more preboarding groups. Even without 1K, there is a huge group of people needing additional time and those traveling with smaller kids.
UA's boarding process is more chaos than not.
Boarding seasoned 1K after the parade of strollers is wrong. More than one time, I've been behind 2 sets of families blocking both GA who are now entering tag number for strollers - it stops boarding completely. These same procreators have been known to leave strollers in the pathway of oncoming passengers. Some don't fold their strollers, some are still putting them into bags which take 4 hands - 2 to open the bag and 2 to insert the strollers. If they could change one thing - Boarding of small children under 2 should happen at the end of the PB process. Shocker... UA is going to eliminate paper BP soon - families with small children are going to be at the gate reader even longer. If UA switched 1K ahead of families the GA would have additional time to clear the strollers off to the side of even make sure the ground staff has had an opportunity to send someone upstairs to retrieve them. Often times when the strollers go down for boarding is when the majority of cargo/bags are being loaded. The longer you put off the stroller parade, the better for the ground/baggage staff. Before the GA start with group 1, the FA could safely offer the FC cabin a PDB. Then the GA could safely start on group 1.

About the "seasoned !K" - They are the BIS flyers - they fly more often than some GS - GS isn't based on PQF type status. You could earn GS by buying few very expensive J tickets. I've encountered some GS, that don't even know about the mileage plus program. Writing this, as a "seasoned 1K" - I made a huge error on a 2023 booking, and thru the 1K reservations line and customer care - I got an exception. I will never make that mistake again - Lesson learned - ALWAYS READ T&C!

As for ordering my "free" snack & beverage - it has never been an issue. The FA carry a small hand-held device that show the location of the 1K - NEVER SWITCH SEATS! Even though the process of snack/beverages is tedious, I've had a lot recognize my status at this time. I've also had the FM come into economy and thank me. In FC, I have preordered my meal (twice) and it has been boarded and the FA has offered it to me, or asked if I wanted something else - and I can see the FA jockeying around FC asking 1st meal choice preferences from the 1Ks first.

In the UC, I'm guessing around 98% acknowledge and thank me for my loyalty; just this year, I've flown 51 PQFs.

Overall, my status and loyalty has greatly been appreciated and acknowledged. In the end, I'm happy with UA and their 1K program.

Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
If I can, boarding last is my favorite thing to do. I do not do it often, but on short trips with just my backpack, I can. I have been felt rushed by the GA as I am hanging out near the gate to board "Immediately" - I chuckle as I look down the loading bridge that is packed full of sweaty (90-100 degree heat in IAH) passengers. I would prefer to stay in the AC as long as possible! My backpack can fit under the seat, but usually there is still room for it in one of the FC overheads. As I am sitting down, the FA asks if I would like a PDB - so I don't even miss that treat.

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
This HNL-based 1K is being dissed by UA's restoring a bunch of 777HDs to replace most of the Polaris equipped a/c that were flying to/from Hawaii during their grounding. Don't they know who I am???? The drop in F seats is very noticeable.

The 777HD are the reason I route myself thru ORD to HNL or OGG. I did book a 787 OGGLAX in DEC - let's hope it stays that way. If only UA was similar to AA or DL on their LONG HAUL Hawaii market flights they offer access to Flagship (DFW) or Delta One/SkyClub (ATL/SLC) access. AND their prices are less expensive. UA doesn't offer UC for this.

If I were to buy my Dec OGG trip today, UA has added a Q400 FC and Q90 Y-class surcharge due to the popularity of the market for certain dates in Dec.

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
1K passengers got goodie bags from HNL-based FAs today on SFO-HNL 1509. Above and beyond. Also got leftover pie in the skies

..... and this is where they go! I'm happy to know that the FAs do not eat all the gifted treats brought onboard by customers and fellow staff.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 23, 2022 at 8:18 pm
Old Aug 23, 2022, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by h2oflyboy
If I can, boarding last is my favorite thing to do. I do not do it often, but on short trips with just my backpack, I can. I have been felt rushed by the GA as I am hanging out near the gate to board "Immediately" - I chuckle as I look down the loading bridge that is packed full of sweaty (90-100 degree heat in IAH) passengers. I would prefer to stay in the AC as long as possible! My backpack can fit under the seat, but usually there is still room for it in one of the FC overheads. As I am sitting down, the FA asks if I would like a PDB - so I don't even miss that treat.
Same.

I reminded the GA 15 min door closure, and no one is going anyway with a full line of pax on the jet bridge. She was not happy with me
Old Aug 23, 2022, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by DELee
Hmm. Does PE mean:

PE = Premium Economy/Premium Plus

or

PE = Economy Plus

David
The usage of the + has been used for a long time ago at UA Economy Plus: E+ // but the Premium Plus didn't get the fun + sign and is abbreviated PP. Hope this trick helps with the Initialism/acronyms. I'm also efficient at Disney initialism/acronyms.

Originally Posted by Howard
I completely agree. I find the PN9 PZ0 IN9 availability pattern to be very unfriendly to 1Ks looking to use their PPs. This issue is discussed further in another thread. I see this pattern so often that I will not be going out of my way to requalify for 1K.

Like you'd ever find 9 GS on one flight waiting for an UG!

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 23, 2022 at 8:22 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Aug 23, 2022, 7:19 pm

Well, since you asked how are 1K being treated, my flight to EWR tonight in Y was cancelled last night. I was rebooked very soon after cancellation without any work on my part tomorrow morning with a confirmed upgrade.
threecap likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2022, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by SFO 1K
Tonight was thanked for my 35 years as a MileagePlus member while receiving my complimentary 1K beverage in Y. Today was the actual anniversary date, so that was nice.

That is quite nice that the length of your loyalty was recognized too. I do believe we joined the same year '87.

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Before my SFO-NRT flgiht last Saturday at the gate, the gate agent made multple announcements that Group 1 bording lane is only for 1Ks. Those with Group 1 board passes should not wait in line, and they will be called after 1Ks are boarded.

NOPE! that is so wrong - you can't have your group 1 shuffle in immediately after the 1K board. where do "they" go? Should have cleared the group 2 line for the 1Ks, then whilst Group 1 is boarding the group 2 queue can fill up.

Originally Posted by Repooc17
96 hours or bust!
I'm sitting here close to the 96 hour time. I actually saw there was J9 to sell on united dot com, so I downgraded to economy. I'm not using my PlusPoints cuz THERE's 9 seats OPEN! my upgrade charge is $199 for this leg - which when added to the my current fare is was over the $249 FC I had purchased. I wish there was a way to see how many people will do the BuyUp to FC and what did they pay at check-in. And I'm not hurting on the PlusPoints as I tend to find really inexpensive FC fares.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 23, 2022 at 8:26 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member; please use multi-quote
Old Aug 23, 2022, 7:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
NOPE! that is so wrong - you can't have your group 1 shuffle in immediately after the 1K board. where do "they" go? Should have cleared the group 2 line for the 1Ks, then whilst Group 1 is boarding the group 2 queue can fill up.
That would be super confusing, as 1K boarding passes also say Group 1. It would also slow boarding.
Old Aug 24, 2022, 6:27 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC, Global Entry, CLEAR
Like you'd ever find 9 GS on one flight waiting for an UG!
Try flying out of Houston to Denver on the B772… The WFBF crowd sure does make an upgrade hard to come by.
Dyce and limey1K like this.
Old Aug 24, 2022, 2:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K & Marriott Titanium
The usage of the + has been used for a long time ago at UA Economy Plus: E+ // but the Premium Plus didn't get the fun + sign and is abbreviated PP. Hope this trick helps with the Initialism/acronyms. I'm also efficient at Disney initialism/acronyms.
we really should "make P+ happen". i was really struggling the other day to decide whether i could refer to both Premium Plus and Plus Points as PP in the same reply.
ContinentalFan, lsquare and 8MiHi like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.