Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

EWR to PDL (Azores) - No Business, Only Premium Plus / Premium Economy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EWR to PDL (Azores) - No Business, Only Premium Plus / Premium Economy

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2022, 10:36 am

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
I'm somewhat confident it's a leisure vs. business target-audience kind of thing.
That doesn't make much sense, UA markets "United Business" fares to CUN, PVR, PUJ, etc. And those are leisure markets.

It is strange why PDL is marketed as PP instead of Business. I have a flight to PDL in a few days in PP, so I'll report how it goes.
Old May 13, 2022, 10:46 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by hirohito888
That doesn't make much sense, UA markets "United Business" fares to CUN, PVR, PUJ, etc. And those are leisure markets.

It is strange why PDL is marketed as PP instead of Business. I have a flight to PDL in a few days in PP, so I'll report how it goes.
Is think the difference is due to transatlantic (of some sort) vs Mexico/Carribean. No one expects lie-flat seats to CUN no matter what it's called but to PDL they might if it's labeled as Business.
Old May 13, 2022, 10:58 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
I'm somewhat confident it's a leisure vs. business target-audience kind of thing. Keeping the buy-first-once-a-decade 'riff raff' out of the clubs. <---- THAT COMMENT IS TONGUE-IN-CHEEK
Originally Posted by Cris
Selling "business" on a transatlantic flight would need Polaris product. Premium plus = no lounge access, no Polaris soft product, and lesser dining. I believe that's just United setting expectations on what one would receive. If/when the Max gets lie-flats, that may be rebranded back to business in the future.
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Is think the difference is due to transatlantic (of some sort) vs Mexico/Carribean. No one expects lie-flat seats to CUN no matter what it's called but to PDL they might if it's labeled as Business.
JimInOhio and Cris put it more succinctly than I did. Tempering expectations for Polaris admission, other on-the-ground expectations as well as in the air.
trooper likes this.
Old May 13, 2022, 3:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM; Bonvoy Titanium; most other FF programs...
CPU Eligible

Given this weird distinction, does it mean this is a CPU eligible flight? Or if you want to use +pts, how many would it be?
Old May 13, 2022, 4:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by findark
Yeah, the bigger issue from a backend side is if they normally want PE to delegate to B, it would be difficult to correctly implement a different rule just for the flights where PE is the highest cabin.
Difficult? Three lines of code max.
Old May 13, 2022, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by FoxFlyer
Given this weird distinction, does it mean this is a CPU eligible flight? Or if you want to use +pts, how many would it be?
No, it's considered long haul. Should be 20, but could be wrong.
Old May 13, 2022, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
It's 20 PlusPoints to upgrade from any economy fare to Premium Plus. Note: Basic Economy need not apply; you can't use PlusPoints or miles to upgrade a BE ticket (in case some forget this rule).

-RM
Old May 13, 2022, 8:42 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
I wonder if the marketing terms PP vs. Business is because that this route is TATL and part of the A* TATL JV. And to keep things consistent (like sharing revenue), I think they had to pick Y-O-J. If they chose J, then prices would have been too high or maybe skew their J TATL seat capacity. Or you get really low fares and feasibly have passengers do some backtrack routing like EWR-FRA-PDL and take up inventory. With O,A,R fares, you're really limited to this single route, since LH/LX only fly Y-J to PDL seasonally.

Although same could be said about EWR-KEF, but maybe KEF is a more premium market for J, I dunno.

Fare structures and prices aside, I guess UA can always "call" it Business, just like Domestic First.
Old May 13, 2022, 10:43 pm
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
Each of the transatlantic joint businesses have minimum standards for each cabin. To market a transatlantic product as "business" usually requires a lie-flat seat. So it makes sense to have the recliner product be premium economy.

Delta tried ticketing domestic connections to international premium economy in domestic first when they introduced premium economy. It didn't seem to take, and they now book domestic connections into Comfort+. Since UA books domestic connections into into B, I think Premiers might be eligible for instant upgrades?
Old May 13, 2022, 11:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by hirohito888
Fare structures and prices aside, I guess UA can always "call" it Business, just like Domestic First.
Yeah - even if we pay for business, UA still gives us the "business".

David
hirohito888 and MatthewLAX like this.
Old May 14, 2022, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Difficult? Three lines of code max.
The way an airline assigns a booking class for a connecting flight before or after international premium economy (or any cabin) is done through the Airline Tariff Publishing Company (ATPCO)'s system (technically, a table called RBD Chart 1). This way it flows through to all possible booking channels/GDSs. It is not done via a snippet of website code. While it wouldn't be impossible to implement a distinct rule for flights where PE is the highest cabin, it would be a lot more than three lines of code, and I imagine it would require UA's RM team to closely work with the scheduling team- something that doesn't usually happen at large airlines, I would hazard a guess. Much easier for UA, or any airline, to have one rule for all international.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by Punekar; May 14, 2022 at 7:40 am Reason: spelling
Old May 14, 2022, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
They are calling 737 First seats to Azores “PremiumPlus” instead of “Business”, as UA does to other int’l destination. Seems strange - can’t figure the rationale.

Traveler from ORD to Toronto in Business gets lounge access, but traveler to Azores in PP does not????

Is UA going to start calling all short-haul int’l PP and do away with lounge access? Doesn’t seem likely from a competition standpoint.
It's almost certainly because it's a TATL sector, so selling it as Business would open a large can of worms (it's not "real business, despite everyone else flying lie-flat; if using the J-scale for inventory you open up questions like do you only allow routing on this specific flight, which gets messy if you start operating more flights like this, etc).

Delta did it first (flying domestic aircraft TATL and selling it as PE).

Originally Posted by Punekar
The way an airline assigns a booking class for a connecting flight before or after international premium economy (or any cabin) is done through the Airline Tariff Publishing Company (ATPCO)'s system (technically, a table called RBD Chart 1). This way it flows through to all possible booking channels/GDSs. It is not done via a snippet of website code. While it wouldn't be impossible to implement a distinct rule for flights where PE is the highest cabin, it would be a lot more than three lines of code, and I imagine it would require UA's RM team to closely work with the scheduling team- something that doesn't usually happen at large airlines, I would hazard a guess. Much easier for UA, or any airline, to have one rule for all international.
Right - the issue is how do you distinguish? You would probably have to write a delegate rule like " P PERMITTED WHEN AVAILABLE ... UA R- FARES WITHIN AREA 1" and make sure you carefully template it only to PDL fares, and then consider what to do about SFO-EWR-PDL or other domestic routes where PE is available. Not saying it's impossible, but definitely tricky. Subset-templating like that is very prone to error, as one template can often overwrite the other (most unrelatedly, this caused a bug where you could route SFO-EWR-DCA for the price of an SFO-WAS differential fare - believe this is still possible). And it would massive confuse other people flying PE in the same market.
Old May 14, 2022, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by findark
It's almost certainly because it's a TATL sector, so selling it as Business would open a large can of worms (it's not "real business, despite everyone else flying lie-flat; if using the J-scale for inventory you open up questions like do you only allow routing on this specific flight, which gets messy if you start operating more flights like this, etc).

Delta did it first (flying domestic aircraft TATL and selling it as PE)...
This makes sense, but the lounge situation (e.g. EWR-YYZ gets access, but EWR-Azores nominally does not) is inconsistent with UA's current x-border policy. Will UA make a special exception for PE customers to/from Azores?
Old May 14, 2022, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I rather doubt it, and I suspect the willingness to fly a domestic-equipped frame and do PE marketing is based on it being a lower-yield leisure destination.
Old May 14, 2022, 5:29 pm
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
Are they short-changing expectations in that "true" Premium Plus seats have leg rests, while these EWR-PDL flights' Premium Plus don't have leg rests?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.