Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Adds Flights to London -- Spring / Summer 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Adds Flights to London -- Spring / Summer 2022

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2021, 1:24 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by lennyj
I am LAX based and I am surprised they are restoring LAX to LHR since, let's face it, LAX is a United hub in name only. You can count on one hand the number of International non-stop flights (other than Mexico) and not use all your fingers.
Let me try for Pre-COVID:
PVG, NRT, SYD, MEL (SIN for a little while).
LAX-SGN would be a huge success if this route were launched pre-COViD.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2021, 3:20 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by fumje
From the twitter announcement, it is

1️ Boston
1️ Los Angeles
2️ Denver
2 Houston
3 Chicago
3 San Francisco
3 Washington Dulles
7 New York/Newark

—that is, the other eight flights split between ORD, IAD, IAH.

Code:
https://twitter.com/united/status/1453693232165134349
(not sure what FT is doing to twitter links.)
I agree with some that this seems a bit ambitious, If it does work out, I think Project Polaris Lounge LHR needs to be revisited.
Old Oct 29, 2021, 5:49 am

Programs: *
Originally Posted by Ted
And still no lounge at Heathrow? UA and AC are closed, SQ requires a PCR test, LH is in the other concourse.
Although stated requirement is for PCR, in practice SQ lounge has been allowing antigen tests as well
Old Oct 29, 2021, 6:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by mattg85
Not sure if this had been “confirmed” by UA beyond the document posted on FT some months back about lounge reopenings, but in response to a comment on its Twitter post today, UA did state that “the United club in London will reopen by the end of the year” which is good news IMO.

Needless to say there was no response from United when another user asked whether it was still planned to turn that into a PL…
before COVID the LHR UC was far better than any of the domestic UCs. I’d be happy if they would just reach that benchmark.
cesco.g, bearkatt, uanj and 5 others like this.
Old Oct 29, 2021, 7:42 am

Programs: UA MM
I am LAX based and I am surprised they are restoring LAX to LHR since, let's face it, LAX is a United hub in name only. You can count on one hand the number of International non-stop flights (other than Mexico) and not use all your fingers.
I agree that LAX is a UA hub in name only. From my many trips there, it was obvious that a compaatively small perentage of overall passengers were making UA/UA connections there. That said, LAX is the largest O/D airport in the USA and LHR has to be the largest O/D airport in "Europe". It's a natural route to operate.
cesco.g likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2021, 2:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
I agree that LAX is a UA hub in name only. From my many trips there, it was obvious that a compaatively small perentage of overall passengers were making UA/UA connections there. That said, LAX is the largest O/D airport in the USA and LHR has to be the largest O/D airport in "Europe". It's a natural route to operate.
UA may also have enough corporate commitments for this route to make it too profitable to relinquish.
Old Oct 29, 2021, 6:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by ani90
Although stated requirement is for PCR, in practice SQ lounge has been allowing antigen tests as well
and No Test
Old Oct 30, 2021, 11:21 am
Ted

Programs: UA 1P MM, HH G, Marriott G
Will correct myself and say that AC lounge opened this week. 0700-1415.
Old Oct 30, 2021, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Even up through the 2010 time frame, United was the largest carrier at LAX. Now not so much.

Part of LAX's problem for UA flyers is United routing much of its TPAC and TATL flights principally through SFO because of yields but also because UA hasn't wanted to compete at LAX - or perhaps has shown that it isn't competitive. Or both.

David
Old Oct 30, 2021, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Any idea if UA bought the extra slots needed to run the extra frequencies, or they are leasing them from partners (e.g. LH)?
Old Oct 30, 2021, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Any idea if UA bought the extra slots needed to run the extra frequencies, or they are leasing them from partners (e.g. LH)?
It seems it’s two slot pairs, one from Air New Zealand and one from Avianca. Both have permanently pulled out of LHR. But no deal terms have been announced AFAIK.
Old Oct 30, 2021, 5:00 pm

Programs: SPG, Marriott, UA, AA, CX, SQ
Originally Posted by DELee
…..because UA hasn't wanted to compete at LAX - or perhaps has shown that it isn't competitive. Or both.

David
Remind me exactly which 2 Fort Worth and Atlanta airlines has recently thrown in the towel on LAX-PVG, leaving a certain Chicago carrier the only one US-based carrier left to compete against MU ? There’s no JV on any carrier, so DL’s paltry% ownership of MU means close to nothing.

and also, remind me, how has Southwest fared at EWR ? apparently bad enough that they had to exit it altogether without UA even engaging in a fare war.

“It’s not the preferred airport of NYC” isn’t a valid excuse since that’s been true since Day 1. they knew what they’re signing up for, they fought, and they lost.

So who can’t compete with whom ?

ps : EWR-OGG nonstop was totally a godsend. no time wasting layover at midcon hub / west coast hub / HNL itself
Old Oct 30, 2021, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Since this is the LHR-to-everywhere else thread, take potshots at LAX elsewhere:

What's to become of LAX for United post-COVID19?

UA Ending LAX-SIN, going 2x daily SFO-SIN, 27 OCT 2018

UA changes for Australia - seasonal reductions IAH/LAX, adding SFO-MEL

Best Guess of UA Resumption of service from MEL to LAX or SFO?

BOS-LAX Premium Transcon - Will UA return as others are?

David
cesco.g likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2022, 7:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Noticing a few tweaks to the LHR spring/summer schedule. LHR-LAX moves from a 2pm to a 4pm departure. SFO-LHR goes from 2x daily 772 and 1x daily 789 to 3x daily 789. IAH-LHR goes from 2x daily 772 to 1x daily 772 and 1x daily 789. All of this subject to change, of course.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 12:52 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by dkc192
SFO-LHR goes from 2x daily 772 and 1x daily 789 to 3x daily 789.
Surprised at the 3x daily SFO-LHR. Wasn’t this only 2x for many years even pre-covid?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.