Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

AA's 2022 Elite program vs UA's: Loyalty Points -- might UA follow?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2021, 4:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum

We’re thrilled to introduce updates to the AAdvantage® program that will make it simpler for you to earn status.

Starting in 2022, instead of Elite Qualifying Miles, Elite Qualifying Dollars and Elite Qualifying Segments, you’ll only have one status metric: Loyalty Points.

How it works

• Earn 1 Loyalty Point for every eligible AAdvantage® mile earned*
  • Enjoy more ways to earn Loyalty Points: Travel on qualifying airlines, use an AAdvantage® credit card for purchases, dine and spend with our partners
  • Elite bonuses earned from flying will also count toward Loyalty Points
Extending and earning status
  • Status valid through January 31, 2022 has been extended to March 31, 2022
  • January and February 2022 activity will count toward earning both 2022 and 2023 status
  • In the future, you’ll qualify for status from March through February, with status valid through March 31 of the following year
  • AAdvantage Gold®: 30,000 Loyalty Points
  • AAdvantage Platinum®: 75,000 Loyalty Points
  • AAdvantage Platinum Pro®: 125,000 Loyalty Points
  • AAdvantage Executive Platinum®: 200,000 Loyalty Points

Details here.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
I hope UA does not follow. This would be a huge devaluation. Sounds wayyy too simple to get top tier status on AA moving forward.
chavala likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
UA doesn't need to follow. UA can simply revert its PQP requirements back to the normal level - e.g. 24K PQP for 1K
SFO_LOW_CLOUDS likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 5:05 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cfischer
I hope UA does not follow. This would be a huge devaluation. Sounds wayyy too simple to get top tier status on AA moving forward.
The $$ amount is much higher, though. Particularly coming out of the pandemic: $27k to reach their equivalent of 1k if earning it on flights with tier bonuses alone? That's higher than the lowest UA flights + spend was even when they really hiked it initially for 2020.

The credit card spend I guess is why they hiked the raw $$ so much, though I question the sanity of someone spending $200k to obtain top AA status. And yes, I hope UA avoids offering up status merely for credit card spend.

Without substantial return of business travel and OPM spend, this seems folly on AA's part.
unitedbusiness and Merolis like this.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by exerda
The $$ amount is much higher, though. Particularly coming out of the pandemic: $27k to reach their equivalent of 1k if earning it on flights with tier bonuses alone?
No. Around $18K.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 5:25 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by Repooc17
No. Around $18K.
Only if you’re already EXP.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 5:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by dinoscool3
Only if you’re already EXP.
Yeah - very interesting that it's a lot easier to re-earn status than to get it in the first place, given the multiplier.

But if you can do it all on CC spend seems like a lot of people could churn at least to platinum (UA gold equiv.) if not much higher.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 6:04 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
This is simplier in the same way the PQP change was simpler -- simpler to encourage higher spends. Personally I find it more complex than UA system, but maybe it is what you are used to. AA has also moved completely to the spend metric

Also great news for Citi -- the credit card folks take their influence up another notch
Interesting message we take your money anyway, certainty diminishes the flying aspect. Sort of counter to frequent flyer concept

The easy to requal versus to improve your status is interesting. But many will complaint about this (and others will take it)

Personally prefer the UA approach but this puts the final nail in the idea of airlines returning to the mileage-based status.
mh3265a, airb330 and Kacee like this.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by drewguy
Yeah - very interesting that it's a lot easier to re-earn status than to get it in the first place, given the multiplier.

But if you can do it all on CC spend seems like a lot of people could churn at least to platinum (UA gold equiv.) if not much higher.
"Churning" generally means signing up for new credit cards for the initial sign-up bonuses and those miles don't count as AA Loyalty Points. You have to be a pretty dedicated MS'er or a high spender to get to $75K in CC spend. And if you are earning most of your points from CC spend instead of flying, you aren't really consuming much in the way of benefits from your status. A lot of the heavy MS types seem to use their points for J awards. The additional benefits from having status are pretty minimal if you are flying on J tix, so I doubt that AA really cares that much.
Synapseturquoise likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 7:13 pm

Programs: UA Silver
At least with UA, PQP is the same across the board. Seems a bit wonky that a no-status purchase of a J ticket will barely clear to gold, but an EXP could almost reach Plat.
AA is making it painful to just naturally qualify to higher tiers, without also going for CCs if you dont have status.. Also without branded spend these seem like exceedingly hopeful thresholds, 6k in flights just to hit their lowest status level.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Merolis
At least with UA, PQP is the same across the board. Seems a bit wonky that a no-status purchase of a J ticket will barely clear to gold, but an EXP could almost reach Plat.
AA is making it painful to just naturally qualify to higher tiers, without also going for CCs if you dont have status.. Also without branded spend these seem like exceedingly hopeful thresholds, 6k in flights just to hit their lowest status level.
KL/AF Flying Blue program is similar in that those already have status earn more towards status. So the concept is not that unusual. I suspect the idea is to keep people from straying once they have status. DL also has rollover MQM which eases to the path to requalifying (depending on how much your rollover) for those who already have status. Further, if you don't at least meet the qualifications for Silver status, they will take away any rollover balance.

Programs: UA Silver
EXPs who don't fly 30 segments a year (those who mainly fly long haul J/F) are screwed. UA at least offers a PQP-only option.
Kacee, OldNewYorker and gmt4 like this.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Personally prefer the UA approach but this puts the final nail in the idea of airlines returning to the mileage-based status.
I'm not sure I see that. The first way to earn points is: "Earn 1 Loyalty Point for every eligible AAdvantage® mile earned*" Looking at the linked page that's base miles plus various ticketing and status bonuses.

As always, UA's version for 2022 will be highly anticipated!
Old Oct 26, 2021, 7:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
It’s an interesting concept for sure. Given that I go out of my way to earn extra miles (paying rent on CC, ordering via MP Shopping, MP Dining when I can), it’s an intriguing concept, but it feels like it is an easy way to massively reduce the number of casual travelers with status and weight it even more towards people who travel on OPM, e.g. you could make EXP by being one and spending roughly $20k (before taxes - so you are spending more).

It feels a bit too clever by half, but arguably it makes for an easier path to get status if you are a travel nerd who is fully immersed in the reward point/CC ecosystem.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 7:43 pm

Programs: UA1K MM, JL JMB SAPPHIRE, Marriott Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by blug
EXPs who don't fly 30 segments a year (those who mainly fly long haul J/F) are screwed. UA at least offers a PQP-only option.
This.
OldNewYorker likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.