Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

IAD Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

IAD Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

    Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 14, 22, 10:23 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: cur
Wiki Link
Access to Polaris lounges (source):


update 29 Sept 2017, effective 1 Oct 2017
Trans-border flights (Canada, Mexico, ..) for UA and partner flights do not qualify

Departure: The airport you are leaving on an international J/F flight* from, i.e. IAD-LHR
Connecting: The airport to or from which you have a short-haul flight to connect to a longer flight, i.e. SFO-IAD-LHR or LHR-IAD-SFO
Arrival: The airport you arrive at after your long-haul flight, i.e. LHR-IAD

Hours - 5:30 AM- 10PM


Related Threads: (Presently the other PLs are closed, EWR, ORD, IAH are expected to reopen in Q4 2021, SFO & LAX in Q1 2022)
ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
IAH Polaris lounge (E11/12 - top fl) -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
LAX Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread
Best *G IAD Lounge for UA flyers



Print Wikipost

Old Oct 22, 21, 12:37 pm
  #46  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: New York, NY
Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Posts: 8,809
Originally Posted by narvik View Post
But is that one of those typical United "introductory" offerings, only to dwindle away over time? Hmmm.... 🤔
Hard to say, but there is no precedent for that sort of stripping away of benefits in the PL product. Onboard is a different story. Remarkably, food served ***uncovered***, not wrapped in plastic, and drinks in real glassware does not appear to be an extreme health hazard, provided it is served to a Polaris passenger on the ground. An hour later, once in the air, it's an entirely different story... #science.

The post-pandemic reopening would have been a natural opportunity for UA to "rationalize" or "streamline" the Polaris Lounge product, and, it would appear that is not the case. Thus far, I am impressed.
MatthewLAX and goodeats21 like this.
EWR764 is online now  
Old Oct 22, 21, 4:58 pm
  #47  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: ORF, RIC
Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Posts: 5,780
My dining experience

I had less than two hours in the lounge. I stopped by restroom first. Then I asked a server for private dining area. Eventually, an assistant manager guided us in. There were very few people in the dining room with two servers. The soup and tiny bit came very quickly. But chicken and salmon came out after 30 min waiting. The ramen soup came out in ten min after order. The total time in the dining room was about 80 min. I spent about 20 min for the shower, which was excellent. However, I had to ask for toothbrush and toothpaste.
I did not have time to sample the drinks except for two glasses of red wines. I did not check the buffet area, either. Three hours may be minimal to fully enjoy the lounge.
Cheers.

Balloons are still on display! But the entry is very small.

Very spacious lounge!

Here is the cocktail menu, but only I had red wines.

The pumpkin soup was very good, not too sweet. The small but was good. Took about 5 min to get both served.

There was four people in the dinning room at 4 pm. There were less than ten after I left after 5 pm. It was difficult to find the dinning area, which is private.

The chicken dish was so so, but salmon was very good.

The ramen was very bad. A clear soup should be better. It was too sweat.

The shower is very nice.
uanj, autobahnal and kirkwoodj like this.
Kmxu is offline  
Old Oct 22, 21, 5:16 pm
  #48  
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 17,827
Originally Posted by Kmxu View Post
I had less than two hours in the lounge. I stopped by restroom first. Then I asked a server for private dining area. Eventually, an assistant manager guided us in. There were very few people in the dining room with two servers. The soup and tiny bit came very quickly. But chicken and salmon came out after 30 min waiting. The ramen soup came out in ten min after order. The total time in the dining room was about 80 min. I spent about 20 min for the shower, which was excellent. However, I had to ask for toothbrush and toothpaste.
I did not have time to sample the drinks except for two glasses of red wines. I did not check the buffet area, either. Three hours may be minimal to fully enjoy the lounge.
Cheers.








The shower is very nice.
Glad you had your clothes on when taking the shower photo.
iluv2fly is online now  
Old Oct 22, 21, 5:32 pm
  #49  
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond
Posts: 1,251
Are face masks required?
milesmilesmiles is offline  
Old Oct 22, 21, 5:43 pm
  #50  
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: HNL
Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Posts: 5,905
Originally Posted by milesmilesmiles View Post
Are face masks required?
Face masks are required in all US airports until at least Jan 18.
HNLbasedFlyer is online now  
Old Oct 22, 21, 11:37 pm
  #51  
fomerly known as LandingGear (not Landing Gear)
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 680
Jealous. EWR PL has not reopened yet.
planes&trains is offline  
Old Oct 23, 21, 2:07 am
  #52  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: ORF, RIC
Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Posts: 5,780
Originally Posted by iluv2fly View Post
Glad you had your clothes on when taking the shower photo.
Actually, I did not know that I was in the picture when I posted it at IAD😂. When I arrived at BRU, I noticed it on another social media platform. Fortunately, I was not naked. Otherwise, FT will ban me for life.
iluv2fly likes this.
Kmxu is offline  
Old Oct 23, 21, 8:58 am
  #53  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: PHL
Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Posts: 4,741
Originally Posted by Kmxu View Post
Actually, I did not know that I was in the picture when I posted it at IAD😂. When I arrived at BRU, I noticed it on another social media platform. Fortunately, I was not naked. Otherwise, FT will ban me for life.
Wow, you were hungry. I guess I prefer it over what I get on board. Anyways, thanks for the photos.
eng3 is offline  
Old Oct 23, 21, 9:07 am
  #54  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New to BWI as of 2021; say hi if you're in the area!
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 332
Originally Posted by Kmxu View Post
I had less than two hours in the lounge. I stopped by restroom first. Then I asked a server for private dining area. Eventually, an assistant manager guided us in. There were very few people in the dining room with two servers. The soup and tiny bit came very quickly. But chicken and salmon came out after 30 min waiting. The ramen soup came out in ten min after order. The total time in the dining room was about 80 min. I spent about 20 min for the shower, which was excellent. However, I had to ask for toothbrush and toothpaste.
I did not have time to sample the drinks except for two glasses of red wines. I did not check the buffet area, either. Three hours may be minimal to fully enjoy the lounge.
Cheers.
Balloons are still on display! But the entry is very small.
Very spacious lounge!
Here is the cocktail menu, but only I had red wines.
The pumpkin soup was very good, not too sweet. The small but was good. Took about 5 min to get both served.
There was four people in the dinning room at 4 pm. There were less than ten after I left after 5 pm. It was difficult to find the dinning area, which is private.
The chicken dish was so so, but salmon was very good.
The ramen was very bad. A clear soup should be better. It was too sweat.
The shower is very nice.
Thanks for the great report and pics!

Just curious -- you didn't happen to take a pic of a floor map, did you? (If they even have something like that)
autobahnal is offline  
Old Oct 23, 21, 9:08 am
  #55  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Posts: 4,351
Originally Posted by Kmxu View Post

The ramen was very bad. A clear soup should be better. It was too sweat.
Hipster chefs seem to always want to change something to put their "signature" on it. With ramen, the traditional ways are invariably the best. My relatives are always trying to take me to some "new" fancy ramen restaurant when I visit them because they know it's my favorite food. But, no matter how upscale or expensive these restaurants are, nothing compares to my regular salaryman Tokyo ramen shops-Tenkaippin being my favorite.
SPN Lifer and Return2flight like this.
zombietooth is offline  
Old Oct 23, 21, 9:45 am
  #56  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 9,143
Originally Posted by Kmxu View Post
I had less than two hours in the lounge. I stopped by restroom first. Then I asked a server for private dining area. Eventually, an assistant manager guided us in. There were very few people in the dining room with two servers. The soup and tiny bit came very quickly. But chicken and salmon came out after 30 min waiting. The ramen soup came out in ten min after order. The total time in the dining room was about 80 min. I spent about 20 min for the shower, which was excellent. However, I had to ask for toothbrush and toothpaste.
I did not have time to sample the drinks except for two glasses of red wines. I did not check the buffet area, either. Three hours may be minimal to fully enjoy the lounge.
Cheers.
img
Balloons are still on display! But the entry is very small.
img
Very spacious lounge!
img
Here is the cocktail menu, but only I had red wines.
img
The pumpkin soup was very good, not too sweet. The small but was good. Took about 5 min to get both served.
img
There was four people in the dinning room at 4 pm. There were less than ten after I left after 5 pm. It was difficult to find the dinning area, which is private.
img
The chicken dish was so so, but salmon was very good.
img
The ramen was very bad. A clear soup should be better. It was too sweat.
img
The shower is very nice.
Originally Posted by zombietooth View Post
Hipster chefs seem to always want to change something to put their "signature" on it. With ramen, the traditional ways are invariably the best. My relatives are always trying to take me to some "new" fancy ramen restaurant when I visit them because they know it's my favorite food. But, no matter how upscale or expensive these restaurants are, nothing compares to my regular salaryman Tokyo ramen shops-Tenkaippin being my favorite.
Actually to me that ramen looks like it doesn't have even hipster signatures, but rather it just has a mishmash of Asian ingredients without any basics of ramen (good broth, noodles).

From the look and description it reminds me of the pho ORD PL served for a while, which was terrible: sweet and incoherent.
fumje is offline  
Old Oct 23, 21, 10:10 am
  #57  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Posts: 4,351
Originally Posted by fumje View Post
Actually to me that ramen looks like it doesn't have even hipster signatures, but rather it just has a mishmash of Asian ingredients without any basics of ramen (good broth, noodles).

From the look and description it reminds me of the pho ORD PL served for a while, which was terrible: sweet and incoherent.
It does look like they just threw everything but the kitchen sink in it.

I agree about the pho at ORD. I only had it once and only ate a few bites. Maybe this dish at IAD is based on that one because OP did say it was too sweet.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by zombietooth; Oct 23, 21 at 10:37 am
zombietooth is offline  
Old Oct 23, 21, 3:00 pm
  #58  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: PHL
Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Posts: 4,741
Originally Posted by zombietooth View Post
It does look like they just threw everything but the kitchen sink in it.

I agree about the pho at ORD. I only had it once and only ate a few bites. Maybe this dish at IAD is based on that one because OP did say it was too sweet.
It reminds me of the "sweet and sour chicken" that use to be in the ORD UC sometimes. Basically more like sweet and sour soup with boiled chicken, some rice, and random veg (water chestnut). It's like when trying to create a dish you've never tasted or even seen before.
SPN Lifer and tcdtcd like this.
eng3 is offline  
Old Oct 23, 21, 3:08 pm
  #59  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: PHL
Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Posts: 4,741
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer View Post
Face masks are required in all US airports until at least Jan 18.
Perhaps OP was asking "Are face mask requirements enforced?"
I recall discussions regarding staff not doing anything when observing guests picking up food (cookies, nuts, etc) from the buffet with their bare hands.
eng3 is offline  
Old Oct 23, 21, 3:09 pm
  #60  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: ORD
Programs: UA GS 2.9+ MM, Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
Posts: 1,044
Originally Posted by eng3 View Post
It reminds me of the "sweet and sour chicken" that use to be in the ORD UC sometimes. Basically more like sweet and sour soup with boiled chicken, some rice, and random veg (water chestnut). It's like when trying to create a dish you've never tasted or even seen before.
😂 That was the worst, most disgusting ORD UC dish EVER! The only food Ive ever immediately spit out on my plate (since early childhood).
Thanks for the pre-Covid nostalgia!
tcdtcd is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread