Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

IAD Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 21, 2021, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SPN Lifer
Access to Polaris lounges (source):

update 29 Sept 2017, effective 1 Oct 2017
Trans-border flights (Canada, Mexico, ..) for UA and partner flights do not qualify

Departure: The airport you are leaving on an international J/F flight* from, i.e. IAD-LHR
Connecting: The airport to or from which you have a short-haul flight to connect to a longer flight, i.e. SFO-IAD-LHR or LHR-IAD-SFO
Arrival: The airport you arrive at after your long-haul flight, i.e. LHR-IAD

Hours - 5:30 AM- 10PM

Related Threads:
EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
IAH Polaris lounge (E11/12 - top fl) -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
LAX Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread
Best *G IAD Lounge for UA flyers

Print Wikipost

IAD Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2023, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club

the duck was really salty.
Carrot cake was kinda dense (and cold)
Lemon thing was ok

Also, 4pm, there was no place to sit in the lounge. People were sitting at the service agent desk. Dining room service was very fast
SPN Lifer and IndyHoosier like this.

Last edited by eng3; May 23, 2023 at 2:10 pm
Old May 29, 2023, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Any recent evening visits to IAD? Assume dining room is still closing at 8pm?

Flying the late afternoon LHR - IAD flight (UA 925) in a few days before connecting to the late night IAD - RDU. I’m assuming I will maybe get lucky and still have the buffet and a drink at the bar but no dining room?
Old May 30, 2023, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by Duke787

Flying the late afternoon LHR - IAD flight (UA 925) in a few days before connecting to the late night IAD - RDU. I’m assuming I will maybe get lucky and still have the buffet and a drink at the bar but no dining room?
United’s site still shows the IAD Polaris lounge open until 10PM so I’d assume you should be able to at least get food at the buffet as well as drinks. I have a friend on the 10PM LHR flight tomorrow and certainly hope for his sake there’s no issues with the Polaris lounge closing early. But if I hear anything from him on it I will update.
Old May 30, 2023, 8:19 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat

Yikes, 8 pm??? I'm on an 1105 pm to CDG in a couple of weeks.
Old May 30, 2023, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by st530
I was on the 10p -FRA flight and I believe the dining room was open past 8p, although I wasn't paying close attention. I ate about 730p, and when I finished they didn't seem to be winding it down yet.
Old May 30, 2023, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by KabAir
United’s site still shows the IAD Polaris lounge open until 10PM so I’d assume you should be able to at least get food at the buffet as well as drinks. I have a friend on the 10PM LHR flight tomorrow and certainly hope for his sake there’s no issues with the Polaris lounge closing early. But if I hear anything from him on it I will update.
Polaris lounge itself stays open it's just the dining room itself. When I was last there in the evening (last year), the dining room closed at 8pm so when I arrived around 830pm it was just the bar and buffet that were open. Both of which were great but just no dining room available

Originally Posted by fumje
I was on the 10p -FRA flight and I believe the dining room was open past 8p, although I wasn't paying close attention. I ate about 730p, and when I finished they didn't seem to be winding it down yet.
That's good to know and would be a welcome update if the dining room is open later than the last time I visited
OhioBoiler likes this.
Old May 31, 2023, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
That's good to know and would be a welcome update if the dining room is open later than the last time I visited
That's why you should post to this thread - to remind yourself of what you did last time.

David
Old Jun 1, 2023, 1:50 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Champagne was Lanson.

Dining room

Appetizer - shrimp scallop

Appetizer - goat cheese

Main - lamb

Dessert - lemon tart, tasted a bit store bought

Buffet
Not sure how that's a shawarma

Showers

I've been to Polaris lounges in LAX, ORD, EWR, IAD in the last 3 weeks, and I think IAD has best food and service. But IAD gets super packed between 330-430pm during the evening rush. It was standing room in the entire lounge, except the dining room, which was 50-60% occupied.
SPN Lifer and DELee like this.
Old Jun 1, 2023, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by hirohito888

I've been to Polaris lounges in LAX, ORD, EWR, IAD in the last 3 weeks, and I think IAD has best food and service. But IAD gets super packed between 330-430pm during the evening rush. It was standing room in the entire lounge, except the dining room, which was 50-60% occupied.
that’s my problem with IAD. There is only one heavy bank of Polaris flights but it completely overwhelms the lounge.
tcdtcd likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2023, 4:34 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by PlungeTEX
that’s my problem with IAD. There is only one heavy bank of Polaris flights but it completely overwhelms the lounge.
By when does it start to thin out (if it does)?
Old Jun 1, 2023, 5:01 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
By when does it start to thin out (if it does)?
A bit after 5pm.
SPN Lifer and st530 like this.
Old Jun 2, 2023, 7:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by hirohito888
A bit after 5pm.
another good reason to take the later flights to FRA and LHR if you are flying TATL.
Old Jun 2, 2023, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by halls120
another good reason to take the later flights to FRA and LHR if you are flying TATL.
And CDG
Old Jun 12, 2023, 11:45 am

Programs: UA 1.5mm, *gold, AA - P, Marriot Titanium
Was in the IAD Polaris lounge a couple weeks ago with the family while waiting for our IAD to BER flight. It was OK, nothing super special. Was a wait for dining, opted for the buffet. Meh.

On our way back from Europe, our last few days were in London, and I opted to not fly UAL back home to TPA as we wanted a nonstop, opted for Virgin Upper Class service. All I can say is wow. Having tasted Virgin UC, I would never fly UAL between LHR and the US again. No comparison, comparing Virgin UC experience against UAL Polaris is like comparing first class to basic economy. (And I am a lifetime UAL guy)

I used to fly thru LHR all the time and hated it. I dreaded the thought of even stepping back into LHR on this trip due to past issues I had there. The Virgin experience was unparalleled. The UC agent was the friendliest person we have ever met, even drew happy smiley faces and Have a Nice Flight on our boarding passes. Next to the UC counter is an elevator that takes you right to their dedicated UC security, from the time we left the UC counter to clearing security was only about a minute or two. The UC lounge is no comparison to Polaris. Food was phenomenal, they had a buffet but all tables throughout the lounge had coded QR codes to order whatever you wanted, both food and drinks, and they would bring it out in a few minutes. The onboard experience was unreal, had double or triple the staff in UC waiting on your every need. Their UC seats blow away the Polaris seating in every way. I have been spoiled and would have trouble going back.
Old Jun 13, 2023, 10:34 am

Flying to HND in a few weeks on a 12:35 (but always delayed) departure. Any idea if they'll serve a burger at like 10:30am?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.