Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Wifi Day Passes -- UA website showing exceptional value

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 11, 2022, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wi-Fi Day Pass

Plan ahead for your trip and purchase Wi-Fi access for your entire day of travel with Wi-Fi Day Pass. MileagePlus® members on single-passenger itineraries can purchase a day pass during Booking as well as on their Trip details page for Domestic and select International flights. Your Wi-Fi Day Pass will be linked to your MileagePlus account and will be ready to use in flight.

You can begin using your day pass one hour before your scheduled departure, and you’ll have access throughout your entire trip during the 24-hour period.
With Wi-Fi Day Pass, you can access messaging, email, web browsing, and VPN. Streaming is available on select aircraft type.
United Chase Cardmembers will receive a 25% statement credit on all subscription purchases including WiFi Day Pass

What if flight is delayed or schedule change?
If your delay is one hour or more, that time will be added to your Wi-Fi Day Pass; for delays of less than one hour, there will be no adjustment to your pass. If there’s a schedule change, your day pass will be transferred to the new date, time and route of your flight.Use of Day Pass T&Cs
  • A Wi-Fi Day Pass provides a limited license to access United’s onboard network on Wi-Fi equipped United aircraft.
  • A Wi-Fi Day Pass only applies to internet access on flights operated by United or United Express® that depart within the applicable subscription period and region. When using the internet on another airline, you will be subject to the other airline’s internet policies and fees.
  • Streaming is currently only available on our Viasat equipped aircraft.
  • After the limited term has expired, the Wi-Fi Day Pass representing this license can no longer be used and has no value.
  • Offer subject to change without notice.
Refund
  • Except as otherwise provided below, Wi-Fi day passes are non-refundable.
  • Purchasers of Wi-Fi Day Passes may receive a refund if:
    • The flight for which the day pass applies is canceled.
    • The flight for which the day pass applies is changed so that the aircraft does not provide access to Wi-Fi.
    • The Wi-Fi is not accessible for over 50% of time during the flights for which the day pass applies.
  • If any of the above referenced events occur, refunds for Wi-Fi Day Pass purchases are processed automatically once travel is completed.
  • Customers who are eligible to receive a refund for a Wi-Fi Day Pass purchase and who have not received the refund within two billing cycles of their scheduled flight departure can submit a request through united.com using the refund request form or by mail.
Wi-Fi performance and usage
  • Use of United Wi-Fi is subject to the inflight Wi-Fi terms and conditions.
  • Operating bandwidth is not guaranteed for any level of service purchased and is dependent on several factors including but not limited to the number of internet users on the aircraft and the number of aircraft in the nearby area. Satellite coverage may experience outages for reasons such as government regulations, weather and switching between satellite regions. Aircraft equipped with DIRECTV® and 737 aircraft will only have satellite coverage within the continental United States. On two-cabin regional aircraft, internet availability is limited to the continental U.S. and Canada. Learn more about our coverage around the world.
  • Day pass license may only be used by one passenger on a flight and on one device at a time.
  • The day pass licensee’s MileagePlus® number must be used when signing into the United Wi-Fi portal on board to use the day pass license.
  • United reserves the right to amend, cancel or modify these terms and conditions and pricing at any time without notice.
  • Day pass licenses may not be sold by anyone other than United. Any licenses sold by a party other than United are void, and United reserves the right to take any or all of the following actions in connection with a third-party sale or barter of a day pass license: 1) invalidate the license; 2) assess the traveler for the actual value of the services obtained through use of the license; 3) delete miles in the traveler’s MileagePlus account or take any other action permitted by the Rules for MileagePlus Program; and 4) take legal action against the traveler or third-party seller of the day pass license.
Print Wikipost

Wifi Day Passes -- UA website showing exceptional value

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2022, 1:26 pm

Programs: UA AU MM,HH Diamond,Hyatt Globalist , Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
But the $8 pricing is not directly described as a day pass, is referenced as "domestic ... routes" and on a recent flight pair where the $8 pricing was being offered per leg on the GIDS, a pre-purchased "Day Pass" (covering both legs) was sold at $14. Of course I could just be the unlucky one where they dropped the price in the few days between buying the day pass and taking the flight, but I'm suspicious. All of my active PNRs are 1 segment/day only and offering the $8 pricing online so I can't directly compare (nor really fathom paying $8 for the 45 minutes at best of usable wifi for CLE-ORD)

i see the exact same thing as you. I finally got offered a day pass at $14 for this Thursday - first time I’ve seen a day pass offered (and I have looked)
Old Feb 14, 2022, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
But the $8 pricing is not directly described as a day pass, is referenced as "domestic ... routes" and on a recent flight pair where the $8 pricing was being offered per leg on the GIDS, a pre-purchased "Day Pass" (covering both legs) was sold at $14. Of course I could just be the unlucky one where they dropped the price in the few days between buying the day pass and taking the flight, but I'm suspicious. All of my active PNRs are 1 segment/day only and offering the $8 pricing online so I can't directly compare (nor really fathom paying $8 for the 45 minutes at best of usable wifi for CLE-ORD)
This is what I see for a trip in a few days. Not a bundle offer (as per description), but I will bundle it with direct turn flight on a separate tix

I did check a separate trip with multiple segments, and don't see this option. The math doesn't work well for UA on multi-segment trips where you can actually use the day pass to its full value.

Old Feb 14, 2022, 3:49 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Interesting DP - paid $8 this morning for ORD-DEN and my receipt says “inflight wifi basic full flight” which made me think it’s per segment.

logged back on DEN-LAS and it asks me to pay, yet I’m posting this from 34,000 feet without paying
Old Feb 14, 2022, 4:27 pm
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
Has anyone seen the Chase Card 25% discount rebate on the $8 Wifi rate? Two weeks ago I tried to use the $8 deal on a DEN-LAX flight, but the Wifi and entertainment services were "uncooperative" that day.

$6 would certainly be an attractive rate, although the $5 on a recent DL LAX-ATL segment I suppose is marginally better. The DL Wifi was impressive BTW. Consistently in the 20MB up and down range, with latency of about 150ms.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 5:26 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Craig6z
Has anyone seen the Chase Card 25% discount rebate on the $8 Wifi rate? .....
Not yet flown but showed up the same day as the purchase
Craig6z likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2022, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by freeagent
Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but it seems United has very quietly streamlined their domestic wifi prices. Wifi day passes are now $8 for MP members and $10 for non MP members saw this advertised last week inflight and is now shown on the United wifi page. You shouldn't need to pre-purchase wifi in advance to get the rates.
I am offered $25 wifi for my trip LGA-ORD-OGG.
​​​​​​​Is Hawaii not considered domestic with United?
Old Feb 15, 2022, 10:16 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by asdfghjk
​​​​​​​Is Hawaii not considered domestic with United?
Hawaii only gets coverage when serviced with the international equipped aircraft with the Panasonic system
Most domestic aircraft (73x, most 75x, ... and UX) are unable to provide over the Pacific / Hawaii.
Old Feb 15, 2022, 10:27 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold
Great News. I hope the service is stable and these up sales stay around for a while.
Old Feb 15, 2022, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Hawaii only gets coverage when serviced with the international equipped aircraft with the Panasonic system
Most domestic aircraft (73x, most 75x, ... and UX) are unable to provide over the Pacific / Hawaii.
We will be on the 787-8, equipped with the Panasonic system. I guess the $8 price is only for the other systems.
Old Feb 15, 2022, 12:07 pm

We will be on the 787-8, equipped with the Panasonic system. I guess the $8 price is only for the other systems.
Length of trip might be a factor as the 788 wifi on a premium transcon flight is just $8.
Old Feb 15, 2022, 1:24 pm

Programs: AA,UA,AS
Is Hawaii not considered domestic with United?
Flew SFO-OGG recently and was offered wifi for $8 although it was on a 737 so no internet connectivity.
Old Feb 15, 2022, 2:42 pm

Programs: united
i paid $19 for a roundtrip pass on my ONT-SFO-EWR-FCO-EWR-SFO-ONT itinerary. Has worked great on all legs so far.
Old Feb 15, 2022, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by dilanesp
i paid $19 for a roundtrip pass on my ONT-SFO-EWR-FCO-EWR-SFO-ONT itinerary. Has worked great on all legs so far.
$19 for this round trip pass is a bargain. Mine is one way for $25.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Length of trip might be a factor as the 788 wifi on a premium transcon flight is just $8.
Length of trip may not be a primary factor here (see above). It may depends on the demands for that particular flight.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 4:13 pm

Programs: UA, AA, HH
Got 3 this week. All 3 have been a huge miss. It worked very intermittently. Is this because the number of users may have increased?
Old Feb 18, 2022, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by acader
Got 3 this week. All 3 have been a huge miss. It worked very intermittently. Is this because the number of users may have increased?
Should get refunded then

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.