Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums >
Reload this Page >

Miles&Points

Airlines and Mileage Programs

United Airlines | MileagePlus

IAD Polaris Lounge to open 21 October 2021?

IAD Polaris Lounge to open 21 October 2021?

Old Oct 19, 21, 8:58 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
IAD Polaris Lounge is SO CLOSE to opening!
Old Oct 19, 21, 8:59 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA, DL, LH, VX, HA
Originally Posted by Kmxu View Post
If you trip ends at SFO, you won't be able to access to SFO PL. It does not matter which airlines you fly with in this case.
Though according to the access page, you would be allowed to but for the fact once you're through customs you can't return to the airport secure area.

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...es/access.html (see fn. 3 first sentence)
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 19, 21, 9:02 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by nevansm View Post
IAD Polaris Lounge is SO CLOSE to opening!
Yes, I wonder if the helium in the balloons will escape by the time they decide to open...
RobOnLI, drewguy and wrp96 like this.
Old Oct 19, 21, 9:14 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, UA Silver, AA Gold
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy View Post
Yes, I wonder if the helium in the balloons will escape by the time they decide to open...
I wish they'd just get a date announced. I'm going to burn some excess miles to fly through there and see it.
Old Oct 19, 21, 9:16 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by SPLITTERZ View Post
I wish they'd just get a date announced. I'm going to burn some excess miles to fly through there and see it.
They really should do their EWR Polaris - people are complaining left & right about overcrowding at their *hub*!
Old Oct 19, 21, 9:28 am

Programs: UA 1K 0.7MM (trying to get to 1MM!)
You're going to book and fly an international business class flight just to see the Polaris club? Or you already have a flight booked and you’d just reroute through there to see it?
Old Oct 19, 21, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by mpiotrow View Post
how to book and fly an international business class flight just to see the Polaris club? Or youre already have a flight booked and youd just reroute through there to see it?
Literally, just pick a flight and book it on savers in J.
Old Oct 19, 21, 9:36 am

You're going to book and fly an international business class flight just to see the Polaris club? Or you already have a flight booked and you’d just reroute through there to see it?
Oops, my 'speech to text' above clearly didn't work as I'd planned, and I didn't proofread before I sent the message. Edited it to make more sense.

Literally, just pick a flight and book it on savers in J.
I'm still confused if you're just planning to burn some miles. I thought maybe you might be EWR based and you'd just book the flight, go into the airport, check out the club, and then just go home, but I see your profile says ORD, so that's not the case...
Old Oct 19, 21, 9:43 am

Oops, my 'speech to text' above clearly didn't work as I'd planned, and I didn't proofread before I sent the message. Edited it to make more sense.

I'm still confused if you're just planning to burn some miles. I thought maybe you might be EWR based and you'd just book the flight, go into the airport, check out the club, and then just go home, but I see your profile says ORD, so that's not the case...
I'm saying I want to see the new lounge in IAD, so I am going to wait until I know when the lounge is actually operating. Then I will pick a destination I want to go to in business class in Europe and burn miles to go there. Yes, I'm ORD based, I'd go ORD-IAD-Europe
Old Oct 19, 21, 9:50 am

I'm saying I want to see the new lounge in IAD, so I am going to wait until I know when the lounge is actually operating. Then I will pick a destination I want to go to in business class in Europe and burn miles to go there. Yes, I'm ORD based, I'd go ORD-IAD-Europe
Ugh, clearly my brain hasn't woken up yet...I typed EWR instead of IAD. But yes, now I understand that you really are going to fly just to check out the PL.
Old Oct 19, 21, 10:10 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Supposedly, UA is running some software designed to identify and alert PL agents to this kind of activity.
Old Oct 19, 21, 10:33 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Correct. But for NRT -> SFO -> IAD itinerary, you certainly can visit PL at both SFO (after re-passing through security) and IAD.

I did this itinerary pre-COVID and admit it's really strange with the time change. You essentially live the same day twice.

On my departure date (Friday) I ate breakfast, lunch and dinner in Tokyo.
Landed in SFO and had breakfast again on Friday
Then landed in IAD and had dinner again on Friday.
Old Oct 19, 21, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by 311Hokie View Post
Correct. But for NRT -> SFO -> IAD itinerary, you certainly can visit PL at both SFO (after re-passing through security) and IAD.

I did this itinerary pre-COVID and admit it's really strange with the time change. You essentially live the same day twice.

On my departure date (Friday) I ate breakfast, lunch and dinner in Tokyo.
Landed in SFO and had breakfast again on Friday
Then landed in IAD and had dinner again on Friday.
And there's nothing to be ashamed about that.
SPN Lifer, drewguy, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 19, 21, 1:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Silver (1MM), Marriott Amb (LT Titanium)
Originally Posted by EWR764 View Post
Supposedly, UA is running some software designed to identify and alert PL agents to this kind of activity.
What kind of "activity"? Many routes are connections and UA can't prove someone intentionally routed through a particular hub to visit the Polaris Lounge. Anyone can route through any hub for any reason. The person wanted to see a friend in IAD who was also going to be at the airport (the easiest "excuse"). But I'm highly suspicious that United has any software designed to identify this and more importantly that they have ANY leg to stand on if they tried to deny you access to the PL. What would the lounge attendant do? Deny you with a, "Sir, I see you booked this flight specifically through IAD to use the Polaris Lounge. You are denied entry."? That makes utterly no sense.

-RM
seanp7 likes this.
Old Oct 19, 21, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by RobOnLI View Post
What kind of "activity"? Many routes are connections and UA can't prove someone intentionally routed through a particular hub to visit the Polaris Lounge. Anyone can route through any hub for any reason. The person wanted to see a friend in IAD who was also going to be at the airport (the easiest "excuse"). But I'm highly suspicious that United has any software designed to identify this and more importantly that they have ANY leg to stand on if they tried to deny you access to the PL. What would the lounge attendant do? Deny you with a, "Sir, I see you booked this flight specifically through IAD to use the Polaris Lounge. You are denied entry."? That makes utterly no sense.

-RM
I think that post was referring to looking out for people booking a ticket, entering the lounge, then cancelling it, no intention of flying.

I.e. something different than what SPLITTERZ is considering, which is perfectly fine.
SPN Lifer, RobOnLI, EWR764 and 2 others like this.

Search this Thread