Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA’s Largest TATL Expansion, 10 New Flights, 5 New Destinations Debuting Summer 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2021, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United Plans Largest Transatlantic Expansion in its History, Including 10 New Flights and Five New Destinations Debuting Summer 2022

Airline sets course to destinations not served by any other North American carrier in Amman, Jordan; Azores, Portugal; Bergen, Norway; Palma de Mallorca, Spain and Tenerife, Spain
United is also set to add additional flights to Berlin, Dublin, Milan, Munich and Rome, and start seven routes that were interrupted by the pandemic to Bangalore, Frankfurt, Tokyo Haneda, Nice and Zurich
Photos(1)

CHICAGO, Oct. 14, 2021
United today announced the largest transatlantic expansion in its history, including 10 new flights and five new, vogue destinations – Amman, Jordan; Bergen, Norway; Azores, Portugal; Palma de Mallorca, Spain and Tenerife in the Spanish Canary Islands. All of the new routes – which are set to begin in Spring 2022 – are not served by any other North American carrier. Additionally, next year, United will add new flights to five popular European destinations: Berlin, Dublin, Milan, Munich and Rome. Lastly, United will launch seven routes that were interrupted due to the pandemic to Bangalore, Frankfurt, Tokyo's Haneda Airport, Nice and Zurich. Flights are subject to government approval.

"Given our big expectations for a rebound in travel to Europe for summer, this is the right time to leverage our leading global network in new, exciting ways," said Patrick Quayle, senior vice president of international network and alliances at United. "Our expansion offers the widest range of destinations to discover – introducing new, trendy locales that our customers will love, as well as adding more flights to iconic, popular cities."

Amman, Jordan

United will begin new capital to capital service between Washington, D.C. and Amman, Jordan starting May 5. Customers will be able to explore the numerous historical sites in and around Amman, as well as visit Jordan's other top destinations including Petra, the Dead Sea and the Wadi Rum desert. United will be the only North American carrier flying direct to Amman with service three times weekly with a Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner.

Ponta Delgada, Azores, Portugal

United will add a third Portuguese destination to its global network with brand new flights between New York/Newark and Ponta Delgada in the Azores beginning May 13. The carrier will offer the most flights between the U.S. and Portugal of any North American airline and will be the only airline to fly to the Azores from the New York metro area. This daily service joins United's existing flights to Porto, which will return in March, and Lisbon, which the airline is currently operating from New York/Newark and will resume from Washington, D.C. next summer. United will fly a brand-new Boeing 737 MAX 8 aircraft featuring United's new signature interior with enhanced seat back entertainment with Bluetooth connectivity and overhead bin space for every customer.

Bergen, Norway

Beginning May 20, United will become the only U.S. carrier to fly to Norway with flights launching between New York/Newark and Bergen. United will offer three times weekly service on a Boeing 757-200, allowing customers to experience Bergen's surrounding mountainous landscape and breathtaking fjords. United will be the only carrier to fly to Bergen from the U.S.

Palma de Mallorca, Balearic Islands, Spain

United is expanding its Spanish beach getaway destinations with three times weekly flights between New York/Newark and Palma de Mallorca in the Balearic Islands, launching June 2 with a Boeing 767-300ER. This will be the first and only flight between the U.S. and Mallorca and will add to United's existing service to Madrid and Barcelona.

Tenerife, Canary Islands, Spain

Travelers looking for an additional new beach destination can enjoy the stunning black and white sand beaches of Spain's Canary Islands with United's new flight from New York/Newark to Tenerife. United will be the only airline to fly direct between the Canary Islands and North America with three-times weekly service launching June 9 with a Boeing 757-200. Along with the new service to Palma de Mallorca, United will fly to more Spanish destinations from North America than any other airline.

Expanded European Service

United is also adding flights to some of Europe's most iconic cities in anticipation of a resurgence in visitors. Next spring United will add:
  • New daily flights between Denver and Munich – joining existing service from Denver to Frankfurt and London which is expected to resume in March. United is the only U.S. airline to offer transatlantic service from Denver.
  • New daily flights between Chicago and Milan, joining existing seasonal flights between Chicago and Rome. United will be the only airline to offer a direct flight between Chicago and Milan, adding to its existing service between New York/Newark and Milan.
  • New daily capital to capital service between Washington, D.C. and Berlin, joining our other service to Berlin from New York/Newark. United is the only U.S. airline with direct flights to Berlin.
  • An additional daily flight from New York/Newark to Dublin and Rome.
In addition to these new routes, United will begin seven routes that were interrupted by the pandemic:
  • Daily flights between San Francisco and Bangalore beginning May 26
  • Daily flights between New York/Newark and Nice beginning April 29
  • A second daily flight between New York/Newark and Frankfurt beginning April 23
  • Daily flights between Chicago and Zurich beginning April 23
  • Flights from Washington, D.C., Los Angeles and New York/Newark to Tokyo's Haneda airport by March 26
Print Wikipost

UA’s Largest TATL Expansion, 10 New Flights, 5 New Destinations Debuting Summer 2022

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2021, 5:45 pm

Programs: MileagePlus-Premier Silver, Marriott Bonvoy-Silver Elite
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Flying direct to Bergen! That’s pretty interesting. Amman is also a bit out of the blue.

Definitely a very cool list of routes.
Yep, Newark-Bergen in a 757. Hoping to do that trip, since I am from that country, and both my wife and I love Bergen. Did the EWR-OSL a couple of times in the 757 while it lasted. Interesting pick of city indeed, Amman too of course. As far as Bergen, it’s in a very beautiful part of Norway, the west coast, and within an hour flight to OSL. Obviously driving from Bergen to Oslo would be the most desirable, which we did a couple of years back.
By the way priced a RT EWR-BGO-EWR, $1500 for two people in Y. This was leaving on the inaugural flight May 20th.
Boraxo likes this.

Last edited by VRFast; Oct 14, 2021 at 5:51 pm
Old Oct 14, 2021, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by drvannostren
I can't imagine the Bergen one lasting super long, some of the other ones are interesting though. I love more flights to Munich, it's a much better airport to transit than FRA and a lovely city. I flew SFO-MUC just prior to covid and it was a totally reasonable flight, I still wish UA had better meal service, but you can't win em all.
Bergen would probably just last through next summer. Perhaps again the following year if it’s still a demand. The EWR-OSL lasted a couple of years, in the summer only. I’m pretty sure a lot of Norwegians are ready to go to the US again.
Old Oct 14, 2021, 6:00 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by Kacee
Once you've flown the outbound, the return can be changed with no fare increase if your fare class is available.
Well, I got lucky because not only is the new flight timed better but it's several hundred cheaper.

I'm on hold for a chat now. They are fully refundable tickets, paid with pt ETC and pt cash. While I can make the change online, I want to make sure UA doesn't try and refund us with an ETC.
Old Oct 14, 2021, 6:02 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Happy that UA added another international route to Denver!

Would have been great if they also announced moving DEN -> NRT to DEN -> HND like other hubs.
Old Oct 14, 2021, 6:40 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
has anyone found anything about the schedule for AMM?
Old Oct 14, 2021, 10:55 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1.75 MM
I can hope the UA DEN-MUC will put some price pressure on the LH DEN-MUC.
Old Oct 15, 2021, 12:27 am

Finally some direct flights from Berlin. Some of these destinations are odd, to say the least.
Old Oct 15, 2021, 12:43 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, DL Platinum
I suspect the Berlin expansion is at least partly due to the opening of the Brandenburg airport, which finally allows space for a decent number of widebodies. (My optimistic side predicts that, within the next decade, Brandenburg could be the economic shot in the arm Berlin needs to be a major economic center. It should, at least, be the gateway to Eastern Europe.)

Overall, United seems to be shifting toward a focus on the premium leisure market. With business travel looking depressed for at least the next year, and possibly to a notable extent for the long term, it makes sense for UA and others to reallocate their long-haul and premium aircraft to destinations where people will still pay a good amount to travel, particularly upfront, even if they're not booking J fares seven days out and putting it on the expense account. PMI, BGO, TFS, and maybe MUC and BER fit within that model.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2021, 3:22 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by cfischer
on a 752 ... no thank you. I doubt there will be enough traffic to make this work for them. We'll see which routes the end up flying. UA is awesome with these announcement ... when they change their mind and never start a route they announced there is hardly a press release. So let's see what they actually decide to fly next year.
To be fair to UA, before COVID they usually did fly their announced routes. Even Xian for one season.

Originally Posted by drvannostren
I can't imagine the Bergen one lasting super long, some of the other ones are interesting though. I love more flights to Munich, it's a much better airport to transit than FRA and a lovely city. I flew SFO-MUC just prior to covid and it was a totally reasonable flight, I still wish UA had better meal service, but you can't win em all.
I am surprised at Bergen, though UA will not be the first US airline to serve it. I remember NW serving Bergen, Oslo, Stavenger, Goteborg, Stockholm, Helsinki, Copenhagen and Reykjavik. Maybe should have been Northwest Orient and Scandinavian Airlines.
Northwest Orient Airlines October 1, 1978 Route Map (departedflights.com)
futuramadramallama likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2021, 5:17 am

Originally Posted by SAT Lawyer
Happy to see UA add service to Amman.

Bergen is a cool destination and is a great place to finish up the truly excellent "Norway in a nutshell" train, boat, and bus tour if you originate in Oslo.

Too bad IAH wasn't part of the service expansion.
Have not done that tour, but sounds interesting. I'm from there so we tend to freelance when visiting my family and I usually get to see places I never visited before.
Yes very disappointing that IAH did not get any new routes. I hate going through EWR for the same reason someone expressed here, but that is where the US-EU action is, so....

Originally Posted by CALMSP
has anyone found anything about the schedule for AMM?
Did you try to do a fake booking for opening day to Amman? That's what I did with BGO, but on the return I had to choose a different day since they only fly 3 times a week. 3 flights a week to Amman as well, starting May 5th.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 15, 2021 at 12:49 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Oct 15, 2021, 7:15 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by MysteryTour
I can hope the UA DEN-MUC will put some price pressure on the LH DEN-MUC.
LH and UA share pricing, so there will be no difference between the two.
Old Oct 15, 2021, 8:17 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Booked one Italy-Spain trip for two in August

Originally Posted by fwfdan
Finding lots of IAD-BER for next summer using miles for business at 60k each way.... not bad. Not ready to book and know that they will be long gone before I am ready to book but nice to see they loaded availability.
It seems that EWR-FCO and PMI-EWR have most IN spaces available. I got two tickets, arriving at Rome, Venice to PMI, and then back to US from PMI for 240K miles plus $200.
I do not think that IAD-AMM flight has been loaded, which may suggest that it is a last-minute addition to the new routes.
Old Oct 15, 2021, 8:41 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by Kmxu
It seems that EWR-FCO and PMI-EWR have most IN spaces available. I got two tickets, arriving at Rome, Venice to PMI, and then back to US from PMI for 240K miles plus $200.
I do not think that IAD-AMM flight has been loaded, which may suggest that it is a last-minute addition to the new routes.
I suppose someone here has flown TATL on RJ. What’s it like compared to UA?
Old Oct 15, 2021, 10:20 am

Programs: UA 1k 1.75 MM
Originally Posted by CALMSP
LH and UA share pricing, so there will be no difference between the two.
Nearly twice the capacity on the route should theoretically make the price of a ticket lower even if the price is the same for each carrier.

Hopefully it will not be so much capacity that LH drops the route.
Old Oct 15, 2021, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
I suppose someone here has flown TATL on RJ. What’s it like compared to UA?
RJ seats are better than old J seats, but Polaris is better. UA has better beverages while RJ wins with food.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.