Search

Fares nearly doubled overnight?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2021, 5:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: None anymore
Fares nearly doubled overnight?

Hello all,
Last week I started looking at flights for our trip back to the US for Christmas. I found a great $2400 fare on UA, so I reached out to family members etc. to lock in dates, then when I went back to try and book the very next day, it's now up to $3800 or higher. GF price tracker is showing that it was fairly low for 60 days or so.... Does anyone think there's a chance they will come down again? I know a lot of this is always "nobody can predict the future" but I'm curious if anyone has any insight. Economy prices have stayed fairly level.

I've been cooped up here for a year and a half now so I'm out of my travel element... Really regret not booking earlier!

Top Answer

Oct 12, 2021, 6:09 pm
HNLbasedFlyer

When you see a good fare either fare lock or book and cancel within 24 hours if needed.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 6:09 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
When you see a good fare either fare lock or book and cancel within 24 hours if needed.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 6:19 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, BA Executive Club, HH Diamond, A3 Gold, ALL Gold
It can happen from time to time… Which route and cabin class/dates were you looking for? How many would be on the trip?
Another factor is that depending on your group size, there may not be a lower farebucket available for everyone, which may lead to another fare bucket, more expensive.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 6:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BRflyer
It can happen from time to time… Which route and cabin class/dates were you looking for? How many would be on the trip?
Another factor is that depending on your group size, there may not be a lower farebucket available for everyone, which may lead to another fare bucket, more expensive.
ICN-LAX via SFO, in business. It's two of us but I usually search for one ticket then change to two at the last minute.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 6:49 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, BA Executive Club, HH Diamond, A3 Gold, ALL Gold
You may try to place an alert at expertflyer or kayak. If you want to keep the *A because of the earnings you may try AC via YVR. Any specific dates?
Old Oct 12, 2021, 7:19 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Are you within 60 days? Fares do go up when 60 day advance purchase fares are no longer available.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 7:26 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Double? $2,400 to $3,500 isn't doubling, just short of 50%
Mr. Vker likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I've noticed a couple of routes w/ fares zooming around Christmas. Example - between SFO and LHR, reduction from two scheduled non-stops to one has really engineered some pretty substantial price increases on some dates - especially in front cabin. I think more people might be willing to travel this holiday season, but the reduction in capacity between some city-pairs might result in higher-than-usual fares as we get closer. Of course, I have no clue as to what will happen but opinions are free
Old Oct 12, 2021, 9:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
And $3500 for TPAC business has traditionally been a pretty good fare.
bluedemon211 likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 9:39 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K, AAdvantage Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Prices through the roof

Christmas prices are getting crazy. I booked 3 business class seats a few weeks ago from IAD to FRA roundtrip for about $3,100 each. Today the same flights go for $8,000 each, and there are just a few scattered single seats available. Families like us appear to have snatched the 2 seats together blocks.

Interesting. Maybe if they add capacity the prices could still level off?
Old Oct 12, 2021, 10:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BRflyer
You may try to place an alert at expertflyer or kayak. If you want to keep the *A because of the earnings you may try AC via YVR. Any specific dates?
I have some wide ranging google flight alerts set up. While *A used to matter, it doesn't anymore. But competition such as Korean Air is even higher. Can't connect on EVA or ANA because Taiwan doesn't allow connections until after the new year and ANA stopped flying to Korea during Covid. Not sure who else I can fly other than who you mentioned, AC.

Originally Posted by Air Houston
Are you within 60 days? Fares do go up when 60 day advance purchase fares are no longer available.
I'm still outside of 60 days (looking close to xmastime) so not outside of the advanced purchase fares... yet.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
So I took a screen shot, and even the $3800 I mentioned is not as expensive as what I saw a few days ago. I had $2,442 and $4,625, same dates, and I captured the image a day apart. So nearly double.

Originally Posted by Kacee
Actually... Maybe for most TPAC yes but I've been spoiled originating in Korea. Fares originating here tend to be cheaper and Xmas has typically been pretty cheap. I've done multiple sub-$3k fares over the years around xmas.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
ex-non US? Usually those should be cheaper than ex-US.
Old Oct 13, 2021, 2:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Repooc17
ex-non US? Usually those should be cheaper than ex-US.
Originating outside of the US has always been significantly cheaper for me. $3500-$4k would be what I would consider an expensive ex-non US fare.
Repooc17 likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2021, 5:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
x-mas fares have been going up substantially and flights are filling up since the US announced re-opening. I am not sure I would bank on having prices come down and book any sensible *A options asap
Old Oct 13, 2021, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingfromDC
Christmas prices are getting crazy. I booked 3 business class seats a few weeks ago from IAD to FRA roundtrip for about $3,100 each. Today the same flights go for $8,000 each, and there are just a few scattered single seats available. Families like us appear to have snatched the 2 seats together blocks.

Interesting. Maybe if they add capacity the prices could still level off?
There's a small blip of demand to Europe around the holidays, but it's otherwise a dead time of year for demand. They aren't going to add capacity just because of the extra demand on a few peak days. You can still get roundtrip business class tickets on IAD-FRA for under $3K roundtrip around the holidays if you are somewhat selective on dates. This is why anecdotal observations can be so misleading.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.