Fares nearly doubled overnight?

Old Oct 13, 2021, 8:45 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
The fares going up or are the lower fare-buckets selling out?
Old Oct 13, 2021, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by LarryJ
This. Barring other evidence I'd assume OP's flight went P0, and it's anyone's guess if it will get P space again.
Old Oct 13, 2021, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
It may have to do with this...

UA to give $1,000 bonus to all active employees in Nov.!

Old Oct 13, 2021, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Lower fare buckets are selling out. My x-mas flights are now selling 'C" as the lowest and that is after I booked 'IN' back in March. Return TATL flight on the high-J 763 shows 12 empty seats in J . Even 6 weeks ago it looked like x-mas flights were fairly empty, but now they look more crowded that I remember in years (with 2+ months to go).
Old Oct 13, 2021, 11:39 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by Kacee
And $3500 for TPAC business has traditionally been a pretty good fare.
Yeah, that's cheap.
I've seen some outrageous (compared to pre-pandemic prices) biz fares to the EU this year.
Old Oct 13, 2021, 3:46 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Originally Posted by Air Houston
Are you within 60 days? Fares do go up when 60 day advance purchase fares are no longer available.
I think we can throw those rules out the window these days with the uncertainty in travel...

There are no steadfast rules... it's all much more dynamic and down to a far more compressed timeframe.

Originally Posted by zombietooth
Yeah, that's cheap.
I've seen some outrageous (compared to pre-pandemic prices) biz fares to the EU this year.
Fares ex-US are typically far more expensive than ex-Europe...

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 13, 2021 at 6:28 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Oct 13, 2021, 3:58 pm

Programs: UA GS
Fares are market specific. I have been monitoring fares to Maui out of LAX for family members over XMAS for the past couple of months. For some of the dates I have looked at, prices have dropped from $1,000+ to sub $400. YMMV.
Old Oct 13, 2021, 4:46 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Originally Posted by LAXOGG
Fares are market specific. I have been monitoring fares to Maui out of LAX for family members over XMAS for the past couple of months. For some of the dates I have looked at, prices have dropped from $1,000+ to sub $400. YMMV.
Of course. But in addition to that in the past few years demand prediction has been far more proactive and specific. One government restriction can send prices south.... another can drive prices north... The dynamics are more complex than what we saw years ago.
Old Oct 13, 2021, 5:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: None anymore
Originally Posted by findark
This. Barring other evidence I'd assume OP's flight went P0, and it's anyone's guess if it will get P space again.
Is there anything cheaper than P? When I do a dummy booking for the now more expensive flights it books into P.
Old Oct 13, 2021, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are ways to research this on ExpertFlyer with backdated ticketing date searches. DL pushed through a fairly extensive $10 increase in domestic fares on October 4th (although it wasn't systemwide). Not seeing similar increases from UA or AA. Quite a few of them were reversed on October 5th (probably because competitors didn't follow suit), but a number of them stuck. Here's one of a number of routes that I checked on DL and was seeing the same thing on them for before and on October 4th.

Last edited by xliioper; Oct 13, 2021 at 6:00 pm
Old Oct 13, 2021, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by LAXOGG
Coach fares are a bit easier. I got HNL-SFO o.w. mid-morning 12/23 a couple of days ago for $129, and not BE - Southwest is definitely keeping economy fares in check (to mainland and inter-island). Front cabin fares are a different story...

For $129 (and status), I also got to select a Premium Plus seat gratis - there are some advantages to be a UA FF vs a WN whatever...

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Oct 13, 2021 at 11:11 pm
Old Oct 13, 2021, 6:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Coach fares are a bit easier. I got HNL-SFO o.w. mid-morning 12/23 a couple of days ago for $129, and not BE - Southwest is definitely keeping economy fares in check (to mainland and inter-island). Front cabin fares are a different story...
Seeing this across the board. Front cabin fares vary widely in price, coach is far more consistent.
Old Oct 13, 2021, 6:36 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by warrenw
Is there anything cheaper than P? ....
Yes and No, P is the lowest business fare class but there can be multiple P fares based on Advance Purchase requirements, length of stay, day of the week traveling, ....
UA can file new fares at anytime.
Old Oct 14, 2021, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by warrenw
Is there anything cheaper than P? When I do a dummy booking for the now more expensive flights it books into P.
There is not... in that case, it would imply that a cheaper P fare expired or otherwise became invalid, which is the less common answer. That makes it less likely that your price will drop again, because it would requires fares to decrease.

Odd, I don't actually see a historical fare on SEL-LAX that matches that cheaper price.
Old Oct 14, 2021, 5:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by findark
There is not... in that case, it would imply that a cheaper P fare expired or otherwise became invalid, which is the less common answer. That makes it less likely that your price will drop again, because it would requires fares to decrease.

Odd, I don't actually see a historical fare on SEL-LAX that matches that cheaper price.
Where do you find historical fares? Here's what Google Flights shows. The steps in the past week are due to Air Canada, United has jumped up and pretty much stayed even. Here's a screenshot.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.