Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

SIN-SFO UA1/2 resumed 5 Jan 2022, second SIN-SFO UA28/29 has resumed Oct 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SIN-SFO UA1/2 resumed 5 Jan 2022, second SIN-SFO UA28/29 has resumed Oct 2022

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2022, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by JNelson113
The Singapore airport staff are very efficient and it was only one hour from the time of touchdown to when I entered my downtown hotel. It's been just wonderful to be back in Singapore.
Awesome! So happy for you and envious at the same time! Amazing that after these two years, it's worthy of celebration, at least from perspective, that one can fly into Singapore and, well, just enjoy travel for the sake of travelling.
JNelson113 likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by JNelson113
Just coming back here to encourage any who are hesitant to fly this flight because of the bureaucratic rigamarole to just do it! It probably took me about one hour total to go through the necessary documentation, and if you follow the checklist you'll be fine. I highly recommend pre-booking the arrival covid test, as that will save you time. The Singapore airport staff are very efficient and it was only one hour from the time of touchdown to when I entered my downtown hotel. It's been just wonderful to be back in Singapore.

One piece of advice . . . . bring food since the catering was a little sparse (in economy, probably better in Polaris).

Happy travels!

Nice to hear!!!

I am thinking about spring break to SIN.

W fare is only $1,400 round trip from the US.
JNelson113 and lsquare like this.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 7:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by kb1992
Nice to hear!!!

I am thinking about spring break to SIN.

W fare is only $1,400 round trip from the US.
Go! You'll be so happy that you did. It's just lovely here. You have to do a self-covid test every day that takes about two minutes and install an app and check in and out of places. Other than that, it's pretty normal. Good hotel prices and people have seemed very glad to see me, overall. :-)
Old Feb 12, 2022, 9:32 am

Programs: UA 1K
Hi all. I wanted to share an experience which may help others. I know I want to visit singapore again some time in the near future, and I have several trips where Singapore might be a potential layover destination (potentially on different PNRs) or an option for a mileage run or short vacation.

Unfortunately, I live a state where the government doesn't support the smart health pass, and I was vaccinated at a provider who isn't on the list. So I'm stuck with my stupid CDC card as they only evidence of vaccination, and (presumably) barred from visiting singapore any time soon. At least I was... I happened to be visiting France recently, where the process for obtaining an EU digital vaccination certificate is relatively simple. I'm not French, and have no connection to France, but a visit to a pharmacy inside CDG airport, and about 10 mins and €36 later I had an EU digital certificate which can be uploaded to the Touscovid app.

Last weekend I applied for a VTL pass on the website using my French vaccination certificate and was approved within a few hours. I haven't booked my Singapore trip just yet, but plan to within the next couple of days. Hopefully all goes smoothly and I'll report back with the results.

I believe Germany, and a handful of other countries in Europe can also issue these certificates to tourists. Obviously its not feasible for most people to fly to europe specifically for this purpose, but if you have a layover or a trip planned it might be worth checking your options.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 2:16 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, 1K
Exclamation United VTL Flights U.S.A. to Singapore

Am on UA1 tomorrow SFO-SIN, 2/19/22 and returning on UA2 SIN-SFO on 2/22/22 (21 hr layover). I have read much about the transit process at Changi, but more generally applied to SQ. For UA flights, since U.S. is a category 2 and UA flies approved VTL flights, upon landing, am I allowed to stay airside and visit the SQ lounge, shopping, and visit food court? What is on the internet is mixed reports: Transit area, off site gate transit area, etc...TY for any recent updates.
Old Feb 19, 2022, 4:43 am

Originally Posted by John17 3
Am on UA1 tomorrow SFO-SIN, 2/19/22 and returning on UA2 SIN-SFO on 2/22/22 (21 hr layover). I have read much about the transit process at Changi, but more generally applied to SQ. For UA flights, since U.S. is a category 2 and UA flies approved VTL flights, upon landing, am I allowed to stay airside and visit the SQ lounge, shopping, and visit food court? What is on the internet is mixed reports: Transit area, off site gate transit area, etc...TY for any recent updates.
You are technically not transiting, so at SFO check-in, you need to show documents to meet Singapore entry (Singapore website has a checklist for this: VTP application if not SG citizen/PR, SHC qr code or letter proving vaccination COVID insurance etc).

I believe you land just before Singapore changes their on arrival PCR -to ART policy(AND also pausing the airside special transit holding area for certain countries, meaning anyone transiting should be able to roam around airport instead of stuck in a small area) , so make sure you look at the correct section

​​​​​​also, a better question for the Singapore forum

Last edited by paperwastage; Feb 19, 2022 at 4:50 am
Old Feb 19, 2022, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by John17 3
Very interested to know how it goes. Let us know please!
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2022, 10:10 am

Programs: UA1k3.00mm;AAex-EXP;Hy Glob;Acc Plt;HH Dia;Onyx Plt;Mar LT Tit;IHG DiAm;RR P;RRA G;BW D;Hcom G
John 17 3, why aren't you returning on UA2 (the same plane) on 2/21, so then you'd only have a 2 1/2 hour lay over, instead of over 24 hours?
Old Feb 19, 2022, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kevino
John 17 3, why aren't you returning on UA2 (the same plane) on 2/21, so then you'd only have a 2 1/2 hour lay over, instead of over 24 hours?
Haven't looked now, but a few years ago they added a 12h minimum stay to the cheap SIN fares.
SPN Lifer and lsquare like this.
Old Feb 19, 2022, 10:28 am

Programs: UA1k3.00mm;AAex-EXP;Hy Glob;Acc Plt;HH Dia;Onyx Plt;Mar LT Tit;IHG DiAm;RR P;RRA G;BW D;Hcom G
Yup, that makes sense for the cheapest rt fares. Two one tickets might have worked, though a bit more expensive. At least he probably cleared his upgrade for tonight.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2022, 10:49 am

Hi Kevino, Am hoping to spend time shopping and go to the food court and explore the SQ Silverkris biz lounge. Otherwise the turnaround is too short.

Yes upgrade cleared last night for Polaris SFO-SIN.

Will do. Cross fingers...Thanks

Thank you Paperwastage! Took care of that yesterday...
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 19, 2022 at 11:03 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member; Please uae multi-quote
Old Feb 20, 2022, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by fumje
Haven't looked now, but a few years ago they added a 12h minimum stay to the cheap SIN fares.
It was only for those who originated from SFO. IF you flew from LAX, even if you transited through SFO, the requirement didn’t apply. The last time I checked, admittedly a few weeks ago, there was a price premium for an immediate turnaround. It sounds as if things are back to normal.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 1:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
It was only for those who originated from SFO. IF you flew from LAX, even if you transited through SFO, the requirement didn’t apply. The last time I checked, admittedly a few weeks ago, there was a price premium for an immediate turnaround. It sounds as if things are back to normal.
Anyways, I saw a pretty substantial price premium for a quick turnaround, and I'm not even originating at SFO. For example, if I depart on Tuesday, I don't see any discount pricing coming back from SIN until Thursday.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 20, 2022 at 8:58 am Reason: Please stick to the thread issue in the forum
Old Feb 21, 2022, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by paperwastage
You are technically not transiting, so at SFO check-in, you need to show documents to meet Singapore entry (Singapore website has a checklist for this: VTP application if not SG citizen/PR, SHC qr code or letter proving vaccination COVID insurance etc).

I believe you land just before Singapore changes their on arrival PCR -to ART policy(AND also pausing the airside special transit holding area for certain countries, meaning anyone transiting should be able to roam around airport instead of stuck in a small area) , so make sure you look at the correct section

​​​​​​also, a better question for the Singapore forum
Originally Posted by fumje
Very interested to know how it goes. Let us know please!
Originally Posted by kevino
Update! A bit long but hoping this is helpful: I am writing this on Feb 21 at 1155pm, sitting at Changi airport in the SQ SilverKris lounge. Outbound at SFO, GA understood I was doing a mileage run, but unusual in that it is a 24 hour layover in transit. Multiple calls and 15 minutes later,(I did not need a VTP), I was cleared and ticket says 'travel ready.' At landing in SIN, since UA1 is a VTL flight, I am able to roam freely airside. The food court in T3 is closed except for Burger King. Some food outlet is open, as well as some duty free is open. I headed straight to SQ SilverKris lounge(btw open to Star Golds as well since the SQ Gold lounge is undergoing renovation). The new SQ SilverKris is modern and very open(unlike to old dark lounge). Food is not self served, but include classics like laksa, dim sum, etc. The major point to keep in mind is that the U.S. requires a pre-departure covid antigen or pcr before boarding UA2. Yours truly forgot that fact! The SQ agent was very helpful and instructed me to buy a SIN approved self-test at the pharmacy by the Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf in transit A area, then I book a virtual, supervised test via video with 'doctoranywhere.com' and within an hour I have a certificate saying 'negative' and UA accepted the vax and pre-departure covid documentation and my boarding pass for UA2 says 'travel ready'. Heading back to SFO in 10 hours...
Old Feb 21, 2022, 1:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
Is the arrival covid test in Singapore an easy shallow nasal one, or one of those deep brain tickler things?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.