Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

SIN-SFO UA1/2 resumed 5 Jan 2022, second SIN-SFO UA28/29 has resumed Oct 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SIN-SFO UA1/2 resumed 5 Jan 2022, second SIN-SFO UA28/29 has resumed Oct 2022

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2022, 4:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by kb1992
Today’s UA 2 SIN SFO is largely empty. 21 out of 48 in Polaris business that’s the most full, probably almost from upgrades, anyone who’s eligible can get it. 0 out of 21 in Premium Plus, about 30 people in the whole economy. The whole plane has about 50 passengers. They definitely will lose money on this kind of occupancy.
I heard cargo and freight are doing well in and out of SIN. During the first year of Covid, UA had established a transpacific cargo network linking Tokyo, Taipei, Hong Kong, Guam, SIngapore, Seoul to carry freight. I suspect with the resumption of passenger flights, those cargos flights would consolidate with the passenger flights.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
I heard cargo and freight are doing well in and out of SIN. During the first year of Covid, UA had established a transpacific cargo network linking Tokyo, Taipei, Hong Kong, Guam, SIngapore, Seoul to carry freight. I suspect with the resumption of passenger flights, those cargos flights would consolidate with the passenger flights.
Cargo freight, both by air and sea, had gone through the roof. Many shipping firms are making so much money they don't know what to do with it. UA likely makes a tidy profit even without any passengers. Passenger revenue is just icing on the cake.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 11:48 am

Programs: UA GS, UA MM, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Uber Platinum :)
Originally Posted by telemark27
Some on the ground intel/observations. Booked in December before they stopped new flights - still in 5K range for Business BOS-SFO-SIN, best price I could get at that point. As noted, flights were relatively empty - the Jan 21 UA 1 SFO to SIN was maybe 1/4 full. Most of business were upgrades, full families made it up front. This week's UA 2 back is even less full - maybe 10% booked, with business still wide open.

Experience at airport: Through passport control in <5 mins, have your paperwork printed out vs phone for ease - VTL Pass, your negative tests, insurance and PCR appt. FYI - they accepted ART from US proctored via EMed (Binax Ag) since PCR tests are impossible to get in US right now within timeframe. Didn't blink/nor question as long as certification. Great signage and airport employees then directing you through customs to the PCR testing queue. Was through/tested in about 10 mins. Was at hotel within one hour of touching down in Singapore. Received email/text 5 hours later with negative results and was then free to roam.

Testing since then: Singapore government is remarkably consistent and reminders about uploading tests. Daily emails, and then you must have Trace Together app and you just scan everywhere you go so they can trace. Bought local ART Singapore approved tests in Watson/7-11, upload each morning. For those here, we're stuck with the Day 3 & 7 tests - take 10 mins, easy to schedule, had results in 45 mins. Anyone arriving after Sunday 23rd, see new rules, making it even easier to test/get around.

My employees here in Singapore have been largely sticking with SQ through JFK but with all of the additional capacity, prices are starting to get back to normal. Observations on this being a good route for United flyers seems to make sense if they want to be competitive.

TLDR: Singapore is open, testing is not as bad/scary as anticipated and expect these to be great United routes in 2022
thanks for the update… doing this route in 4 weeks. How does on the ground vaccination proof work for restaurants etc? Do the authorities add a QR code to the TraceTogether app or??
Old Jan 24, 2022, 3:56 am

Programs: UA GS 2MM+, JetBlue Mosaic, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, & Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Dyce
thanks for the update… doing this route in 4 weeks. How does on the ground vaccination proof work for restaurants etc? Do the authorities add a QR code to the TraceTogether app or??
The Trace Together app pulls it all together. You effectively use this as your pass everywhere and you check in (QR Code scan) at each location and then check out (same process, or check out on App). No one needs to check for on the ground vaccination and haven't yet, just scan in with the app (which has embedded that you are vaccinated). Took about 24 hours after landing to actually show my vaccination status, it automatically refreshed, but NO one asked since the app is ubiquitous. Give the government credit, pretty darn efficient.

Testing will be even easier with the new regulations as well. Safe trip!
uanj and Dyce like this.
Old Jan 29, 2022, 10:10 pm

UA 1, 100% open Y seats but no Y fare availability?

Hi all,

On UA 1, I've noticed (for example, on the UA 1 flight departing Apr 3 10:50 pm) that virtually 100% of Y seats are open, but it is currently impossible to buy Y tickets (only premium economy / business).

Any idea why this might be happening? Do you think it is temporary?
Old Jan 29, 2022, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Singapore is only allowing 50% of seats to be sold right now, so United is probably trying to maximize revenue
ExplorerWannabe likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2022, 10:15 pm

Programs: UA1K MM, JL JMB SAPPHIRE, Marriott Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Because currently UA1 runs on MON/WED/FRI/SAT, and in April UA schedule daily UA1 and UA29 but no one know they will able to operate all of them or not. Apr 3 is a Sunday, so UA 1 on this day is more like a place holder, that's why UA is holding off the sales.
Old Jan 29, 2022, 10:18 pm

Thanks for these replies!
Old Feb 1, 2022, 8:18 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
I'm preparing to fly to SIN next week on the UA VTL flight. Just want to make sure that I have all my bases covered. I have received approval of my Vaccinated Travel Pass Application. I have purchased the necessary insurance. I've arranged to check in to my hotel early so I can wait in my room for my covid test results from the arrival test. I've arranged a pre-flight covid test. I've downloaded the Singapore Trace Together app although I haven't fully set it up yet.

I know to make hard copies of all of this and take them along, as well as submit everything on united.com in advance.

Am I missing anything? Thank you!
Old Feb 1, 2022, 8:35 am

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
Originally Posted by JNelson113
I'm preparing to fly to SIN next week on the UA VTL flight. Just want to make sure that I have all my bases covered. I have received approval of my Vaccinated Travel Pass Application. I have purchased the necessary insurance. I've arranged to check in to my hotel early so I can wait in my room for my covid test results from the arrival test. I've arranged a pre-flight covid test. I've downloaded the Singapore Trace Together app although I haven't fully set it up yet.

I know to make hard copies of all of this and take them along, as well as submit everything on united.com in advance.

Am I missing anything? Thank you!
Don’t forget to fill out your arrival declaration and you can pre-book your arrival PCR as well, but other than that you should be all set. Also would be helpful to print out your proof of vaccination / QR code
Old Feb 1, 2022, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by truncated
Don’t forget to fill out your arrival declaration and you can pre-book your arrival PCR as well, but other than that you should be all set. Also would be helpful to print out your proof of vaccination / QR code
Great suggestions; I didn't realize that I could pre-book.

For those interested, there's a good checklist of the steps here: https://safetravel.ica.gov.sg/vtl/travel-checklist
Old Feb 1, 2022, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Which insurance did you buy?
Old Feb 1, 2022, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by Doppy
Which insurance did you buy?
I went with AIG. I am only there a short time and it was around $10 USD.
Doppy likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2022, 5:46 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by JNelson113
Great suggestions; I didn't realize that I could pre-book.

For those interested, there's a good checklist of the steps here: https://safetravel.ica.gov.sg/vtl/travel-checklist
When I went in November I booked my on-arrival PCR test via https://safetravel.changiairport.com/en.html#/ which also had a checkbox system (sort of like doing your taxes in TurboTax) to help identify things you had/hadn't done.
JNelson113 likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 9:07 am

Just coming back here to encourage any who are hesitant to fly this flight because of the bureaucratic rigamarole to just do it! It probably took me about one hour total to go through the necessary documentation, and if you follow the checklist you'll be fine. I highly recommend pre-booking the arrival covid test, as that will save you time. The Singapore airport staff are very efficient and it was only one hour from the time of touchdown to when I entered my downtown hotel. It's been just wonderful to be back in Singapore.

One piece of advice . . . . bring food since the catering was a little sparse (in economy, probably better in Polaris).

Happy travels!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.