Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Operations during Australia's Reopening

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 24, 2022, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
FT thread-->United Announces SFO-Brisbane (BNE), Australia
"Year-round, nonstop service between Brisbane and San Francisco starts in October "
AU Govt--->Digital Passenger Declaration
AU Govt-->Inbound international travel
Pre Departure Testing
From 18 April 2022, changes to pre-departure testing for travelling to Australia will come into effect. Travellers are reminded that it is your responsibility to ensure you meet the requirements of the airline you are travelling with and any countries you transit through.
Pre departure testing not required from 18 April 2022

AU Govt--->COVID-19 and the border
AU Govt-->COVID-19 and the border- Travel restrictions and exemptions
<snip>
From 21 February 2022, all fully vaccinated visa holders can travel to Australia without a travel exemption. Unvaccinated visa holders will still need a valid travel exemption to enter Australia.
<snip>
Main AU CV19 thread-->https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/oceania-australia-new-zealand-south-pacific/2012985-australia-s-response-covid-19-general-border-control-thread.html
Print Wikipost

United's Operations during Australia's Reopening

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2022, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by limey1K
I supposed to be in MEL in March for a conference that is still going ahead despite the current situation. I hold a US passport and was granted a 601 visa from the Aus gov which means I can't enter, correct?
Yet on here, I'm reading about 70%+ loads on flights into SYD. Are these all Australian citizens or am I missing something??
For your entry keep a watch on the AU govt web site--->https://covid19.homeaffairs.gov.au/

Currently only AU citizens, permanent residents & limited others can enter AU. I think 70% would be a high load factor. Doubt it that over a period of time. Day to day will vary. With the AU entry restrictions (quarantine) that were in effect for a long time, expect Christmas-New Year holiday period loads would be a peak.
Main AU CV19 thread-->Australia’s response to Covid-19 [general border control thread]
limey1K likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 12:25 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
SYD still has the departure test available at the airport as long as within 24 hours of the flight.
I used that facility at SYD Int'l twice, for separate flights, and it is fast & efficient. Just make sure you pre-book, and they have reps checking the line to ensure you are traveling within 24 hours etc.

Yet on here, I'm reading about 70%+ loads on flights into SYD. Are these all Australian citizens or am I missing something??
70% was from me and right before Christmas. As others have noted, assume this is the peak.
limey1K and Aussienarelle like this.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 6:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by seanp7
I used that facility at SYD Int'l twice, for separate flights, and it is fast & efficient. Just make sure you pre-book, and they have reps checking the line to ensure you are traveling within 24 hours etc.
If you turn up the day of the flight ensure you allow yourself 4-5 hours before the flight. That is the warning Histopath states. I went to the airport exactly 24 hours before the flight (had made a reservation in advance) and was out of the airport within 40 mins, tested and waited 30 mins for the documentation. Quite painless and A$59.
SPN Lifer, seanp7 and mikeyf like this.
Old Jan 25, 2022, 9:46 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
The LAX-SYD flight was cancelled.
Unrelated to the testing discussion but as a quick side note, LAX-SYD has been cancelled 8 times since December 23rd (24% of the time). SFO-SYD hasn't had one cancellation during the same period. Does anyone think it's worth switching to the SFO flight? Asking for a friend who is flying this route in April (connecting from MCO). I understand they want to consolidate operations if neither flight is full but they wait till the last minute which is pretty inconvenient. I would think there is perishable cargo or something that would motivate UA to operate the flight but they have been citing crew/staffing issues on the app.
Old Jan 25, 2022, 10:12 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by MileTrek
Does anyone think it's worth switching to the SFO flight?
If really concerned about the cancellation then yes, why not. If in Polaris, even better as your friend will be able to access the SFO PL.
Dyce, Aussienarelle and MileTrek like this.
Old Jan 25, 2022, 2:23 pm

I supposed to be in MEL in March for a conference that is still going ahead despite the current situation. I hold a US passport and was granted a 601 visa from the Aus gov which means I can't enter, correct? Yet on here, I'm reading about 70%+ loads on flights into SYD. Are these all Australian citizens or am I missing something??
they are all Australian citizens, permanent residents or family of Australian citizens / PR

We’ve all spent 2 years locked out of our country with no way to get home. I don’t think many other nationalities truly realize how difficult it was for Australians to get home during that time. So pretty much every Australian based overseas is taking the chance to get home, particularly over the Aussie summer.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 7:55 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
My IAH-SYD flights just got changed to connect at LAX for end of March. Time changes of departure & arrival barely acceptable, so I'm still planning on going home.
Mwenenzi, mikeyf and Aussienarelle like this.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
My IAH-SYD flights just got changed to connect at LAX for end of March. Time changes of departure & arrival barely acceptable, so I'm still planning on going home.
QF has also cancelled SFO-SYD flights. If demand was OK to good the airlines would not be cancelling USA<--->AU flights.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
mine too for May. Had direct flights both ways but now they have been changed to go via LAX. At least my cleared upgrades were preserved and also applied to the IAH-LAX sectors in both directions
kirkwoodj and mikeyf like this.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 12:14 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
QF has also cancelled SFO-SYD flights. If demand was OK to good the airlines would not be cancelling USA<--->AU flights.
Originally Posted by david_oz
mine too for May. Had direct flights both ways but now they have been changed to go via LAX. At least my cleared upgrades were preserved and also applied to the IAH-LAX sectors in both directions
Well hopefully the LAX PL will open, at least.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Well, if any of the FTer Aussies and OZ bound travelers who are now connecting through LAX have sufficient time, there's always the option to have a quick meetup nearby....

David
kirkwoodj likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2022, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by phkc070408
LAX-MEL starts on 25-March-22 - Daily
This is a great news for me.

Are there any public statement from UA on this?
Old Feb 8, 2022, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
I read in another thread that LAX-MEL flight will be resumed in late March. Can anyone confirm this or point me to any official annoucement?

I am planning to fly to Melbourne in late March, and would appreciate it is a direct flgiht instead of transiting at SYD.
Old Feb 8, 2022, 9:51 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by phkc070408
LAX-MEL starts on 25-March-22 - Daily
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
This is a great news for me.

Are there any public statement from UA on this?
The resumption has been pushed back to late October, aligning with the start of the IATA winter schedule.

https://liveandletsfly.com/united-ai...ific-schedule/
Old Feb 8, 2022, 11:58 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
I read in another thread that LAX-MEL flight will be resumed in late March. Can anyone confirm this or point me to any official annoucement?

I am planning to fly to Melbourne in late March, and would appreciate it is a direct flgiht instead of transiting at SYD.
No longer true
Los Angeles (LAX) to Melbourne (MEL) resumption date pushed to October 28th
more TPAC changes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.