Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Operations during Australia's Reopening

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 24, 2022, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
FT thread-->United Announces SFO-Brisbane (BNE), Australia
"Year-round, nonstop service between Brisbane and San Francisco starts in October "
AU Govt--->Digital Passenger Declaration
AU Govt-->Inbound international travel
Pre Departure Testing
From 18 April 2022, changes to pre-departure testing for travelling to Australia will come into effect. Travellers are reminded that it is your responsibility to ensure you meet the requirements of the airline you are travelling with and any countries you transit through.
Pre departure testing not required from 18 April 2022

AU Govt--->COVID-19 and the border
AU Govt-->COVID-19 and the border- Travel restrictions and exemptions
<snip>
From 21 February 2022, all fully vaccinated visa holders can travel to Australia without a travel exemption. Unvaccinated visa holders will still need a valid travel exemption to enter Australia.
<snip>
Main AU CV19 thread-->https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/oceania-australia-new-zealand-south-pacific/2012985-australia-s-response-covid-19-general-border-control-thread.html
Print Wikipost

United's Operations during Australia's Reopening

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2021, 9:58 pm

Programs: UA and SQ; Hilton, Fairmont, Marriott, Rydges Priority
Thanks to you both.
Hawaii not on the radar.
An aged Australian wanting to catch up with a daughter working in NYC and his dual citizenship partner wanting to catch up with her mid west family.
Just assessing the risk factors at this stage.
SPN Lifer and kirkwoodj like this.
Old Oct 31, 2021, 10:39 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
According to the seat map, last nights UA863 SFO-SYD went out with 72 passengers. Whilst that's only about 30% of capacity, it's also probably the most passengers UA has flown on a single flight to Australia in over 18 months.

UA839 LAX-SYD only had 28 passengers, but that's not surprising given they have some more competition on that route, with Qantas re-starting flights LAX-SYD last night.

Due to crossing the international dateline, these flights land early morning November 1 - the first date that quarantine isn't required for some/most passengers.
Old Oct 31, 2021, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Any news on whether Australia will open to vaccinated Americans?

Australia just announced vaccinated Singaporeans will be not to subject quarantine starting November 21st.

flights are selling well between SIN and SYD/MEL.
Old Oct 31, 2021, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
I have been looking at flights for January and they are still expensive on UA. I certainly understand UA needs to make money so with low loads the fares need to be high.

I will eventually bite the bullet as want to visit my parents and neither they or I are getting any younger.
Old Oct 31, 2021, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Australia just announced vaccinated Singaporeans will be not to subject quarantine starting November 21st.
Flights are selling well between SIN and SYD/MEL.
Nothing announced that I have seen.
Would expect AU to be closed to non AU citizens/PR's this calendar year. Late Jan 2022 is the AU tennis open, so expect AU will be open to vaccinated travellers then. Melbourne FI GP is on April 7-10 2022
But all guess work.
Keep an eye on the master AU CV19 thread-->Australia’s response to Covid-19 [general border control thread]
UA_Flyer and uanj like this.
Old Oct 31, 2021, 11:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
I have been looking at flights for January and they are still expensive on UA. I certainly understand UA needs to make money so with low loads the fares need to be high.

I will eventually bite the bullet as want to visit my parents and neither they or I are getting any younger.
Bit the bullet...a few extra dollars is well worth the benefit. Polaris upgrade came through for outbound. Waiting for the return but did get the Premium Plus upgrade for the return (interestingly the same number of points for both cabins).

Called my parents and they are thrilled!
Mwenenzi, SPN Lifer, uanj and 2 others like this.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 5:39 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer

flights are selling well between SIN and SYD/MEL.
Keep in mind, two parties need to OK anyone in - The State and the Feds.

From what I gathered, the state of NSW is allowing anyone in who is properly vaxed - it's the feds who won't issue the visa to US, and most other non-australian travelers.. Similar situation exists in Victoria but might be effective later this month. Queensland and South Australia announced they will be fully open to anyone when 90% of their 12+ population is double-jabbed, expected sometime around New Year. Again, we'll need the federal government to be on board and issuing visas.

I highly suspect that by March the vaccinated will be moving freely again. Probably well before that since everything is moving much faster than expected. I snagged Mrs. and I each a round trip next July back in August, before prices went up.
Old Nov 9, 2021, 5:07 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Service Update:

The IAH-SYD Nonstop is on the schedule starting 26-Mar-22 with daily service. When Iast checked a few months ago, it was starting sometime in Late June or Early July.
The LAX-MEL Nonstop is on the schedule starting 01-Feb-22 with daily service.
The SFO-MEL Nonstop is on the schedule starting 13-Jan-22 with service 3X weekly.
SPN Lifer, uanj, seanp7 and 3 others like this.
Old Nov 10, 2021, 8:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Alaska Gold 75k, Marriott Amb
Hi - I was looking at a trip to oz in December or January and noticed in January they switch from a 787-9 to a 777-300ER on both the SFO and LAX routes. just FYI (i'd prefer the 787 every day)
Old Nov 10, 2021, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by phkc070408
Service Update:

The IAH-SYD Nonstop is on the schedule starting 26-Mar-22 with daily service. When Iast checked a few months ago, it was starting sometime in Late June or Early July.
The LAX-MEL Nonstop is on the schedule starting 01-Feb-22 with daily service.
The SFO-MEL Nonstop is on the schedule starting 13-Jan-22 with service 3X weekly.
Which I would take as a good hint as to when AU will be open to general travel. The airlines will have the ear of the govt bureaucrats.
In late Jan 2022 is the AU tennis open. A big event for Melbourne (~13 Jan flights)
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 11:23 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1.6MM
They have just dropped IAH/SYD/IAH for March, just had my booking updated to SYD/LAX/IAH
Old Dec 16, 2021, 11:39 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by mikeyf
They have just dropped IAH/SYD/IAH for March, just had my booking updated to SYD/LAX/IAH
To quote Airplane: "Golly!"
Old Dec 17, 2021, 1:27 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, EK Gold, CX Silver
UA99 MEL LAX Availability Riddle - 6 Mar 22

I'm trying to understand why UA90 MEL LAX on 6 Mar 22 suddenly went from J9 C9 Z9 P9 and Y9 etc, to J1 C1...P1 and Y7, ..T7
The seat map (which while not reliable, is still some indicator), shows only 2 bus seats and 10 Y seats occupied - so the discrepancy is unreasonable.

After seeing my flight to MEL on UA cancelled, (and rerouting at my expense through SYD) I put an alert on this - expecting that if they are thinking of cancelling the MEL-LAX flight I would get early warning when it went to J0 Y0. Instead, this has me puzzled. Why would UA reduce availabilty this way?

Your thoughts and ideas are appreciated.
[Mod, if you think this should be in the UA forum please move it]
Old Dec 17, 2021, 2:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by sabbasolo
I'm trying to understand why UA90 MEL LAX on 6 Mar 22 suddenly went from J9 C9 Z9 P9 and Y9 etc, to J1 C1...P1 and Y7, ..T7
The seat map (which while not reliable, is still some indicator), shows only 2 bus seats and 10 Y seats occupied - so the discrepancy is unreasonable.

After seeing my flight to MEL on UA cancelled, (and rerouting at my expense through SYD) I put an alert on this - expecting that if they are thinking of cancelling the MEL-LAX flight I would get early warning when it went to J0 Y0. Instead, this has me puzzled. Why would UA reduce availabilty this way?
Had you seen that that is (now) the first MEL-LAX flight? Without knowing anything about what UA is doing, that would seem to be potentially relevant - particularly if UA will rebook disrupted passengers into inventory that is not displayed on EF. In special situations, one problem is that a seat map is backward-looking evidence, showing what reservations have already been made in the past, but inventory is a forward-looking indicator, showing something of what the airline expects future demand for the flight to be.
Old Dec 17, 2021, 4:32 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, EK Gold, CX Silver
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Had you seen that that is (now) the first MEL-LAX flight? Without knowing anything about what UA is doing, that would seem to be potentially relevant .
I hadn't noticed that - makes a lot of sense, thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.