Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Operations during Australia's Reopening

United's Operations during Australia's Reopening

Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 24, 22, 6:37 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Mwenenzi
Wiki Link
FT thread-->United Announces SFO-Brisbane (BNE), Australia
"Year-round, nonstop service between Brisbane and San Francisco starts in October "
AU Govt--->Digital Passenger Declaration
AU Govt-->Inbound international travel
Pre Departure Testing
From 18 April 2022, changes to pre-departure testing for travelling to Australia will come into effect. Travellers are reminded that it is your responsibility to ensure you meet the requirements of the airline you are travelling with and any countries you transit through.
Pre departure testing not required from 18 April 2022

AU Govt--->COVID-19 and the border
AU Govt-->COVID-19 and the border- Travel restrictions and exemptions
<snip>
From 21 February 2022, all fully vaccinated visa holders can travel to Australia without a travel exemption. Unvaccinated visa holders will still need a valid travel exemption to enter Australia.
<snip>
Main AU CV19 thread-->https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ocea...ol-thread.html
Print Wikipost

Old Oct 27, 21, 8:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.024MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Select; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by roknilandlord View Post
Does anyone have any insight on when United might actually release any saver fares at 40k per ticket for US to Australia?
I don't think we'll ever see that again.
Old Oct 27, 21, 10:18 am
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
.... Does anyone have any insight on when United might actually release any saver fares at 40k per ticket for US to Australia? Are saver fares available for similar long-haul routes on United (US to Africa or Asia), or are they also only available at 150k?
The concept of fixed saver / standard awards not longer exists, no published award chart -- UA, other airlines, hotels, ... are going to dynamically priced awards. Roughly tracking cash prices with reward miles / points having a more consistent value in terms of the cash value.
"Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... (No Award Chart Nov 2019)
This is not 100% but is the general trend in rewards bookings nowadays

So given the discussion in this thread about travel restrictions and high cash prices, one would expect high reward mileage reward ticket. PVG is seeing the same effect. Places with less restrictive travel, hence lower cash prices, will have lower reward mileage requirements. When travel / demand to Australia returns to "normal", the mileage reward requirements will likely drop -- the question is when that "normal" returns?
Old Oct 27, 21, 11:28 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, TK Elite, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis First
Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
Umm.. have you actually checked recently (say, within the past few days)?
Old Oct 27, 21, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Australia recently re-opened its borders and I am hoping flight schedules and prices normalize soon.

United has plenty of award availability for flights from US to Australia - but all economy fares are 150k miles (one-way)! I cannot find any business availability, nor can I find any economy availability below 150k per ticket.

Does anyone have any insight on when United might actually release any saver fares at 40k per ticket for US to Australia? Are saver fares available for similar long-haul routes on United (US to Africa or Asia), or are they also only available at 150k?
When do you want to travel?

Australia has *not* recently re-opened its borders.
From 01 Nov AU will open to vaccinated AU citizens, AU permanent residents, eligible family and limited others.
I would expect the restrictions on others to apply for 2021 calendar year.

Main AU thread-->Australia’s response to Covid-19 [general border control thread]

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Oct 27, 21 at 2:53 pm Reason: grammer
Old Oct 27, 21, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Silver
Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
I can get home for Christmas right now for 40K/80K one way (Econ/Biz).
Old Oct 27, 21, 2:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, TK Elite, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis First
Originally Posted by seanp7 View Post
I can get home for Christmas right now for 40K/80K one way (Econ/Biz).
Christmas. Or any other day for the next ~330 days. Economy (40K most days, ~43K on a few) is available every day. Business (80K) is available 2-3 days a week. Economy has been this way for the past few days. Business appears to have only been added late yesterday or today.

Last edited by docbert; Oct 27, 21 at 2:59 pm Reason: Typo
Old Oct 27, 21, 3:12 pm

Programs: 1K MMiler, Hertz 5*
Gone, I can see zero Biz award saver for Dec or Jan
Old Oct 27, 21, 3:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Silver
Originally Posted by rosesplus View Post
Gone, I can see zero Biz award saver for Dec or Jan
It's still there... SFO-SYD on Dec 21, 80K. Use View Calendar. This thread is impacting things a little (unlike before), but it's there.
rosesplus likes this.
Old Oct 28, 21, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
I was able to book SAN-SYD in Polaris for 50K miles on December 23. Needed to cancel as had to be back for NYE but the seats are there.
Old Oct 28, 21, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle View Post
I was able to book SAN-SYD in Polaris for 50K miles on December 23.
Polaris? For 50K? Are you sure? I never seen <80K on flights to Australia, and I'm certainly not seeing anything at the moment - cheapest SAN-SYD is 200K on that day, but other days are 80K.
Old Oct 28, 21, 11:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by docbert View Post
Polaris? For 50K? Are you sure? I never seen <80K on flights to Australia, and I'm certainly not seeing anything at the moment - cheapest SAN-SYD is 200K on that day, but other days are 80K.
Sorry, my bad. You are correct it was 80K. I also booked a domestic 50K in business for Thanksgiving - muddled the bookings. Kept the domestic and cancelled the Aussie trip.

It was 80K as just checked my MP account.
Old Oct 28, 21, 9:18 pm

Programs: UA and SQ; Hilton, Fairmont, Marriott, Rydges Priority
Just to clarify…..Australians flying to the USA on United will need to be fully vaccinated and have a negative PCR test within 72 hours of departure ie. we will be flying with fully vaccinated, theoretically non infectious passengers to the USA.
When making domestic connections in the USA will we be flying with unvaccinated passengers? Do all domestic pax need a negative PCR test to board?
Thanks.
Old Oct 28, 21, 9:26 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by grapegrower View Post
.... When making domestic connections in the USA will we be flying with unvaccinated passengers? ....
Yes
....Do all domestic pax need a negative PCR test to board? ....
No

Exception is travel to Hawaii (by other USA residents) requires one or the other or quarantine on arrival

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 28, 21 at 9:43 pm Reason: (by other USA residents)
Old Oct 28, 21, 9:32 pm

... have a negative PCR test within 72 hours of departure
Technically for flights to the US it's 3 days beforehand, although the difference is minimal.
eg, if your flight is at 11am on the 5th, you need a test from any time on the 2nd or later. (If it was 72 hours, you'd need a test taken at 11am or later on the 2nd).

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Exception is travel to Hawaii requires one or the other or quarantine on arrival.
With the current rules, it's basically quarantine only - the others (mostly) aren't an option.

Hawaii currently requires vaccination IN THE US, which obviously most Australians won't have (with the exception of a small number of us that live in the US). It also requires testing by an approved testing provider, and there are none of those in Australia, and they have stated they aren't adding any more. Which leaves quarantine as the only viable option.

Of course, the rules will potentially change...
uanj likes this.
Old Oct 28, 21, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by docbert View Post
.... With the current rules, it's basically quarantine only - the others (mostly) aren't an option.......
My response was for travel in the US by US residents -- thought the OP was asking about rules for other travels, not themselves for domestic US travel. Have clarified the original post.

Rules for international travelers to Hawaii are the same but as you point out going directly to Hawaii has complications. But don't believe that was the OP's question

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 28, 21 at 9:53 pm Reason: Have clarified the original post.

Search this Thread