Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Operations during Australia's Reopening

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 24, 2022, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
FT thread-->United Announces SFO-Brisbane (BNE), Australia
"Year-round, nonstop service between Brisbane and San Francisco starts in October "
AU Govt--->Digital Passenger Declaration
AU Govt-->Inbound international travel
Pre Departure Testing
From 18 April 2022, changes to pre-departure testing for travelling to Australia will come into effect. Travellers are reminded that it is your responsibility to ensure you meet the requirements of the airline you are travelling with and any countries you transit through.
Pre departure testing not required from 18 April 2022

AU Govt--->COVID-19 and the border
AU Govt-->COVID-19 and the border- Travel restrictions and exemptions
<snip>
From 21 February 2022, all fully vaccinated visa holders can travel to Australia without a travel exemption. Unvaccinated visa holders will still need a valid travel exemption to enter Australia.
<snip>
Main AU CV19 thread-->https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/oceania-australia-new-zealand-south-pacific/2012985-australia-s-response-covid-19-general-border-control-thread.html
Print Wikipost

United's Operations during Australia's Reopening

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2021, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by TomMM
In another thread it was mentioned that Hawaii is only allowing persons vaccinated in the US to enter. Is this correct?
Anyone can enter w/ negative test from state-approved testing partner (incl. those at certain int'l originations). If one is entering Hawaii w/o pre-arrival test and wants to avoid quarantine, yes, full vaccination from U.S. provider needed. Example, visitor from Japan who has been vaccinated there can get into Hawaii w/o quarantine via pre-arrival test from trusted testing partner in Japan, but vaccination received there is not currently accepted to avoid quarantine.
Old Oct 15, 2021, 12:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
🤞Now that the Prremier of NSW has announced no quarrantine from November 1 for double vax and negative COVID test waiting for UA to increase seats to SYD.

Prime Minister made some negative comments about this and "priority" order. Idiotiotic statement. Hoping the airlines ignore him.

Quarrantine is set at the state level. Looking forward to UA increasing available seats and prices coming down.
kirkwoodj likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2021, 12:22 am

Programs: LH SEN
I took his comments to indicate a focus on citizens and residents, and that tourism would have to wait. That doesn't sound so controversial.
seanp7 likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2021, 1:16 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
🤞Now that the Prremier of NSW has announced no quarrantine from November 1 for double vax and negative COVID test waiting for UA to increase seats to SYD.

Prime Minister made some negative comments about this and "priority" order. Idiotiotic statement. Hoping the airlines ignore him.

Quarrantine is set at the state level. Looking forward to UA increasing available seats and prices coming down.
Quarantine may be set at the state level but immigration control is federal. Will be interesting to watch...probably just a bit of posturing.
Old Oct 15, 2021, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle

Really hoping that the states resolve their differences too. It would be even more frustrating being able to get back into SYD, but have to do an internal quarantine to get over to WA
Old Oct 15, 2021, 9:27 am

Anybody else not seeing flights to SYD? I'm looking in November. In December I only see a few LAX-SYD flights...assuming they are adjusting seats/schedules
Old Oct 15, 2021, 10:28 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by MileTrek
Anybody else not seeing flights to SYD? I'm looking in November. In December I only see a few LAX-SYD flights...assuming they are adjusting seats/schedules
I would give it some time. The NSW announcement is recent and, as noted above, there's some federal/immigration work to be done first.

The prices are going to be insane, I think. I may just delay the trip to Feb/Mar (but again, that may be in high demand too).
Old Oct 15, 2021, 11:37 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
I just did dummy bookings for January, all went through MEL (???)
Old Oct 15, 2021, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Off topic (considering UA do not fly to WA)

Originally Posted by JObbo
Really hoping that the states resolve their differences too. It would be even more frustrating being able to get back into SYD, but have to do an internal quarantine to get over to WA
WA State Premier has stated not expecting to open WA to eastern states for months. Recent WA state budget has an assumption of international travel starting Sept 2022. Getting to North Korea from SYD may be easier than SYD to PER (~just a little exaggeration!!), With the NSW change WA may relent to something sensible.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-10-...pens/100541858
<snip>
Mr McGowan also said people coming from overseas to WA would not be able to skip quarantine by flying into Sydney. "The current arrangement is if you come into New South Wales from overseas you do two weeks in hotel quarantine and then if you test negative you are allowed to come into Western Australia," he said
<snip>

Main FT AU CV19 thread--->Australia’s response to Covid-19 [general border control thread]

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Oct 15, 2021 at 12:34 pm
Old Oct 15, 2021, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by seanp7
I would give it some time. The NSW announcement is recent and, as noted above, there's some federal/immigration work to be done first.

The prices are going to be insane, I think. I may just delay the trip to Feb/Mar (but again, that may be in high demand too).
Yes all true, and out of curiosity QF is selling flights from LAX to SYD on Nov 1 for high (but not unreasonable) prices (<$2K one-way). DL is still quoting $6K+, AA and UA have nothing. The demand response will be just as quick as the announcement so I would think every airline would be on this ASAP
Old Oct 15, 2021, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes all true, and out of curiosity QF is selling flights from LAX to SYD on Nov 1 for high (but not unreasonable) prices (<$2K one-way). DL is still quoting $6K+, AA and UA have nothing. The demand response will be just as quick as the announcement so I would think every airline would be on this ASAP
Would give it a few days to settle down on the finer details. AU Federal Govt controls the border
https://www.smh.com.au/national/aust...14-p5903d.html
“We are not opening up to everyone coming back to Australia at the moment. I want to be clear about that,” he said. “In the first instance, it will be for Australian residents and their families.
Old Oct 15, 2021, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Yes all true, and out of curiosity QF is selling flights from LAX to SYD on Nov 1 for high (but not unreasonable) prices (<$2K one-way).
Or QF J for $11,796 (one way) on Nov 1, LAX-SYD.
Old Oct 27, 2021, 6:35 am

United Awards to Australia?

Australia recently re-opened its borders and I am hoping flight schedules and prices normalize soon.

United has plenty of award availability for flights from US to Australia - but all economy fares are 150k miles (one-way)! I cannot find any business availability, nor can I find any economy availability below 150k per ticket.

Does anyone have any insight on when United might actually release any saver fares at 40k per ticket for US to Australia? Are saver fares available for similar long-haul routes on United (US to Africa or Asia), or are they also only available at 150k?
Old Oct 27, 2021, 7:02 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by roknilandlord
Australia recently re-opened its borders and I am hoping flight schedules and prices normalize soon.

United has plenty of award availability for flights from US to Australia - but all economy fares are 150k miles (one-way)! I cannot find any business availability, nor can I find any economy availability below 150k per ticket.

Does anyone have any insight on when United might actually release any saver fares at 40k per ticket for US to Australia? Are saver fares available for similar long-haul routes on United (US to Africa or Asia), or are they also only available at 150k?
Plenty of insight here: United's Operations during Australia's Reopening

In a nutshell, there are still lots of capacity restrictions on flights, and and prices are high across the board.
Old Oct 27, 2021, 7:03 am

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
When are you looking for? For the general public, Saver Awards are typically available 10 to 11 months out. For example, I got Saver Awards in the past for Australia 10 days after the seats first came available...that is, 10 months and 20 days prior to flight. Same for SFO-CPH (via Toronto on AC) for next summer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.