Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Operations during Australia's Reopening

Old Jan 24, 2022, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
FT thread-->United Announces SFO-Brisbane (BNE), Australia
"Year-round, nonstop service between Brisbane and San Francisco starts in October "
AU Govt--->Digital Passenger Declaration
AU Govt-->Inbound international travel
Pre Departure Testing
From 18 April 2022, changes to pre-departure testing for travelling to Australia will come into effect. Travellers are reminded that it is your responsibility to ensure you meet the requirements of the airline you are travelling with and any countries you transit through.
Pre departure testing not required from 18 April 2022

AU Govt--->COVID-19 and the border
AU Govt-->COVID-19 and the border- Travel restrictions and exemptions
<snip>
From 21 February 2022, all fully vaccinated visa holders can travel to Australia without a travel exemption. Unvaccinated visa holders will still need a valid travel exemption to enter Australia.
<snip>
Main AU CV19 thread-->https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/oceania-australia-new-zealand-south-pacific/2012985-australia-s-response-covid-19-general-border-control-thread.html
Print Wikipost

United's Operations during Australia's Reopening

Old Oct 4, 2021, 8:16 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by phkc070408
In case some missed it, Australia announced on Friday, 01-Oct-21 that it's borders will open for unrestricted travel for it's vaccinated citizens, with a 7-day home quarantine when returning.
They have announced a plan to do that, but as yet nothing is official. The states will still need to sign off on it (keep in mind that NSW, the only state that UA currently fly into, is without either a Premier or Deputy Premier at the moment!). It's also pending a successful trial of their quarantine-at-home program, and even then the actual start date hasn't been confirmed.

Airlines, including UA, have been impacted in the past when the government changed quotas without notice, causing the them to cancel hundreds of bookings (and in many cases, entire flights), so it's not surprising they aren't opening booking at this stage until there's some more clarity around numbers/start dates/additional conditions/etc.
Mwenenzi and DiamondMile like this.
Old Oct 4, 2021, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by seanp7
If Australia's rules are like other countries, citizenship should count. US/AU dual citizen here - and hoping for the same.

But Australia has been making up their own rules for 18 months; they could do anything. Permission to leave would be bizarre; I guess I'd just show my US passport on departure and try that (and you, your Green Card?)

Re: UA - I hope their schedules are updated soon.
Australia changed it such that permission to leave now needs to be requested. It changed from you could leave if you could prove residency elsewhere. Do not understand why they changed the rule but until it changes again it makes me nervous to travel to Australia.

Agree it would be good to see UA have more seats but I have given up on this Christmas. Don't blame UA. I would be nervous about planning for additional seats/pax flights to Australia when other countries are providing certainty.

Edit: If you enter Australia with your Australian passport you need to use the same passport to leave. Alwsts a hassle with my child who is dual citizen like you.
Old Oct 4, 2021, 9:16 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Edit: If you enter Australia with your Australian passport you need to use the same passport to leave. Alwsts a hassle with my child who is dual citizen like you.
Thanks - I figured as much.
Old Oct 4, 2021, 11:02 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Australia changed it such that permission to leave now needs to be requested. It changed from you could leave if you could prove residency elsewhere. Do not understand why they changed the rule but until it changes again it makes me nervous to travel to Australia.
They changed it, but it fundamentally doesn't make any difference. If you are a foreign resident, your request to leave will be approved - it just means you need to fill in a web form first.

I suspect the trigger for the change was to simplify the process at the airport. I departed Australia a month or two before they bought this change into effect, and at the check-in the agent had to go through a manual process of calling someone in immigration to get approval to check me in given that I hadn't followed the standard pre-approval process (which wasn't required for non-residents at the time). Having a single process for all Australian citizens makes sense.
uanj likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2021, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

People are being to optimistic and hoping for too much
From another thread
Originally Posted by m0hamed
The phase of reopening to international in December only allows Citizens and Permanent Residents to leave and return with home quarantine of seven days.

There is no date for foreign nationals or tourism yet.
Old Oct 5, 2021, 2:43 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
People are being to optimistic and hoping for too much
From another thread
Yes - and yes it's a limited number of people - but it's still more people than there are now. Also, with QF coming back into the game, a huge supply increase for a limited number of AU passengers. UA needs to make themselves available to ANY AU travelers that they can if they want to stay in the AU game.
Old Oct 5, 2021, 10:32 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Yes - and yes it's a limited number of people - but it's still more people than there are now. Also, with QF coming back into the game, a huge supply increase for a limited number of AU passengers. UA needs to make themselves available to ANY AU travelers that they can if they want to stay in the AU game.
Are the daily airport quotas still in place?
Old Oct 5, 2021, 11:11 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
On the local news this morning in Honolulu - multiple stories about Australians being able to internationally travel later this year and its expected economic impact to Hawaii. On the other hand - they also stated Americans won't be able to go to Australia - anytime soon - sometime in 2022 at the earliest.
Old Oct 5, 2021, 3:13 pm

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Are the daily airport quotas still in place?
The next phase is actually restoring them to the previous levels from before the most recent reduction.

They can't actually go away completely because hotel quarantine places will still need to be rationed.

Somehow they need to figure out how to cap those seats while allowing fully vaccinated folk to have no cap. Not sure how they get that to work.

Perhaps they need to switch to an NZ style system where you book your HQ place first, then book a flight. Then it's no longer on the airline to ration seats, people either are vaccinated or have a HQ slot before they book a ticket.
Old Oct 5, 2021, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Seems to be comments from people who are *not* in Australia. Do not believe all you read in click bait headlines

The NZ MIQ is far better than the AU system, where airlines effectively auction the AU state (VIC, NSW, QLD etc) run quarantine hotels. Problem with both AU & NZ is quarantine demand is a magnitude more than availability.. AU govt is building new dedicated quarantine facilities: they will be used.
--->Australia’s response to Covid-19 [general border control thread]
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2021, 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by supine
They can't actually go away completely because hotel quarantine places will still need to be rationed.

Somehow they need to figure out how to cap those seats while allowing fully vaccinated folk to have no cap. Not sure how they get that to work.
I know they started keeping track of vaccination status of arriving passengers some time back - it would be good to see the numbers from that. My suspicion is that 95+% of all arrivals (or at least, those above 12 or 16) are already vaccinated. If only 5% of arriving passengers need hotel quarantine then there may be no need to ration then. Certainly when I flew to Australia in April, 100% of the passengers I spoke to claimed to be vaccinated.

Of course, there's also potentially vaccinated people that will need (possibly shorter) hotel quarantine due to lack of anywhere else to quarantine. Hard to judge what the numbers there would be.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 12:34 am

Originally Posted by docbert
I know they started keeping track of vaccination status of arriving passengers some time back - it would be good to see the numbers from that. My suspicion is that 95+% of all arrivals (or at least, those above 12 or 16) are already vaccinated. If only 5% of arriving passengers need hotel quarantine then there may be no need to ration then. Certainly when I flew to Australia in April, 100% of the passengers I spoke to claimed to be vaccinated.
I'm not sure those statistics are all that meaningful given how constrained the caps were and the selection criteria was mostly "could afford an absurdly priced ticket and didn't get bumped". That would make me think extrapolating the numbers would be too optimistic.

They are also a bit meaningless on the pessimistic side because there is probably a huge pool of folk like myself that are vaccinated but can't justify 2 weeks of HQ, but once home quarantine / no quarantine is a thing will be lining up to get on a plane.

Of course, there's also potentially vaccinated people that will need (possibly shorter) hotel quarantine due to lack of anywhere else to quarantine. Hard to judge what the numbers there would be.
Right, so a NZ style system becomes necessary because you can't make the airlines control for the nuances of what individual passengers will need. The current system works when 1 passenger =~ 1 HQ room but the future won't be that simple.
Aussienarelle and DiamondMile like this.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 3:01 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
My original post isn't about the current situation, it's about what is expected in Mid-November, when 80% of the 16+ population are fully vaxed.

CNN.com

The move -- expected to take effect in November -- comes more than 18 months .. .
Under the plan outlined by Morrison Friday, Australians and permanent residents would be allowed to quarantine at home -- which would essentially remove the caps limiting the number of people allowed into the country. Those travelers would also only face seven days of quarantine.
AU Covid Live

Old Oct 6, 2021, 4:04 am

My original post isn't about the current situation, it's about what is expected in Mid-November, when 80% of the 16+ population are fully vaxed.
Sure, I'd love some clarity on how Phase C will work and when it will be introduced. I'm sure the airlines would too.

I was just pointing out that we haven't even seen Phase B be implemented yet.
Aussienarelle and DiamondMile like this.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
On the local news this morning in Honolulu - multiple stories about Australians being able to internationally travel later this year and its expected economic impact to Hawaii. On the other hand - they also stated Americans won't be able to go to Australia - anytime soon - sometime in 2022 at the earliest.

In another thread it was mentioned that Hawaii is only allowing persons vaccinated in the US to enter. Is this correct?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.