Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Interesting UA + Apple Health integration

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2021, 11:34 am
Original Poster

Source: https://9to5mac.com/2021/10/01/unite...ation-records/

When I first read that UA was going to tap into Apple Health as one way to verify vaccine status, I had privacy concerns because I wasn’t sure the extent of UA’s request of health data. However, it seems that at the moment UA is only going to be requesting data related to vaccine status if the user has a SMART Health Card. In any case, the user will be able to control such permission(s).

More info on SMART Health Cards here: https://smarthealth.cards/faq.html#g...MARTHealthCard

This method will be in addition to other method already in place in the UA app.

Has anyone received a SMART Health Card?
Might this be a quick response to a senator’s effort to force vaccinations as a requirement for domestic travel?
Old Oct 2, 2021, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Unrelated to the Senators effort. UA has been leading the way on vaccines (capturing pax info, requiring for staff, etc) among their peers, this is one of many ways they're pushing forward.
Old Oct 2, 2021, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Saw this, and was curious on how it works exactly. I’ve been slow on iOS 15 though - sounds like this is needed first.

living in CA, this should theoretically work. However, somehow, my digital vaccination record through CA has my name misspelled, which I think is probably a dealbreaker. It’s a small error (double letter at the end of my name on the health card when that’s not how my name is spelled), but I assume exact match is required. Have been trying to get this issue fixed…since July at least, 5 requests in and I can’t figure out how to get it corrected…a couple of times they claim to have processed the request, but the misspelling persists.

on the other hand, I believe UA already has my proof of vaccination - isn’t that what that whole promo was about to upload your vaccination card through the app earlier this year was about?
Old Oct 3, 2021, 6:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott
The link doesn’t tell you how to take the paper CDC vaccination card and turn it into a bar code file. My doctor doesn’t have my Covid vax records.
Old Oct 3, 2021, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Nikongirl
The link doesn’t tell you how to take the paper CDC vaccination card and turn it into a bar code file.
There isn't one; see the FAQ linked above.
Old Oct 3, 2021, 7:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott
Originally Posted by mduell
There isn't one; see the FAQ linked above.
I saw that FAQ. There isn’t an option for my situation. I have a basic CDC card and Pennsylvania doesn’t have online or central records.
Old Oct 3, 2021, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Nikongirl
The link doesn’t tell you how to take the paper CDC vaccination card and turn it into a bar code file. My doctor doesn’t have my Covid vax records.
you can’t. It needs to be from a place that uses smart health cards. There are several states that use it. Most (if not all?) states require the vaccinations to be reported to the dept. of health, and some, like CA, use the SMART system for digital records. CA does, and I think a few NE States?

I kind of wish they would enable this with CLEAR also - was pretty simple to get that done with my CDC card - seemed to be verified right away. But like Isaid, I feel like UA already has the vaccine proof from when I uploaded earlier this year as part of the incentive they had to do that. Hopefully that is on file for when needed for international travel
Old Oct 3, 2021, 7:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Would this mean anything to those outside US who also use SMART health cards (i.e. BC in Canada)?
Old Oct 4, 2021, 10:26 pm

I think a huge next step if they can somehow manage to work this out with EU regulators is to get this to be accepted as an acceptable EU digital covid vaccination card... I think they already have the infrastructure and if they can make it work it would be awesome (and united would be the first US airline to do so...)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.