Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Did UA recently fire all legacy phone agents and replace them with human robots?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Did UA recently fire all legacy phone agents and replace them with human robots?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2021, 11:37 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold
When I get an agent that does not know some basic information, or gets stumped by a simple request, I usually said something like, "something has come up, and I need to call back later..." Then hang up, and redial and that usually solves the problem.
SPN Lifer and danpeake like this.
Old Sep 23, 2021, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by Downgrade
When I get an agent that does not know some basic information, or gets stumped by a simple request, I usually said something like, "something has come up, and I need to call back later..." Then hang up, and redial and that usually solves the problem.
I usually do the same thing. I am currently on Premier Line bc UA canceled an int'l segment. Though it is rare to see such segments cancel, no biggie. Well, CS told me that she was not sure it would be an even exchange and needed to speak to someone else?!! UA canceled the flight and the agent thinks that the PAX needs to pay a fare difference bc now the routing cities are different?? Yikes...

MOD: Perhaps my response needs to be in a different thread for incompetent CS and not necessarily robot CS as the agent was friendly and warm but as soon as she mentioned that she could not find the same fare class, I knew I was in trouble

UPDATE: When I HUCA, I could tell I was speaking with an experienced CS. Very simple. No fare difference. All done. CS was apologetic. HUCA--learn it, live it, love it!
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by dcpdxtrans; Sep 23, 2021 at 2:58 pm Reason: MOD cite + Update
Old Sep 23, 2021, 1:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA1k
Originally Posted by karenkay
i've had similar issues lately. right now am dealing with an international--canada--flight where i'm going to misconnect due to united's delay. the first agent seemed to have difficulty with both her headset and the concept and eventually hung up on me.

the second agent, who appears to be in the philippines, doesn't have a clear idea of where things are in the US (suggesting alternate airports that are over an hour or three away from me) and i've now been on hold about 30 minutes while she--i hope/think--deals with the support desk. in the meantime, i've found flights that'll work, but she hasn't come back to the phone to check.

really glad you posted, zrs70, i was wondering if this was just because i'm no longer a 1K. we know million milers don't mean much in 2021.
wait till you deal with Customer Service as a 1k they said $200 is the most they pay for cancelled flight for hotels cabs and airfare.
Old Sep 23, 2021, 7:48 pm

Programs: MVP100K, A-list, Marriott/IHG Plat, CHP525 Ticket Plat, CHP Solo Carpool 100K, Costco EXP, Tinder 1K
Originally Posted by zrs70
OP here.

I asked the agent to leave the record alone. (This is AFTER she told me to call SWISS, as they were the ones to help. HUH???)

This morning, I looked at the reservation. The first flight (LAX-ZRH) was showing a schedule change. It also showed confirmed. It was the second leg that was not confirmed. So I called UA back, got a great agent. She cleaned everything up, and I think I am good to go now!
I had a schedule change with LX as well. LAX-ZRH-LCY. When I asked her to rebook since I have to arrive earlier, she said she can only rebook on LX or UA metal. But the problem is, I need to get to LCY earlier, UA doesn't have codeshare going into LCY, so my only option would be LH. I was looking at LAX-ORD-FRA-LCY (UA+LH+LH, no way I'm flying UA metal across the pond). The agent said she can't do it. HUCA, wait time is 30min, so I called mandarin line. This time it's even worse. I told her K class is available all the way, then she said "the fare class is different between airlines, just like UA K class is not equivalent to K class in Air China, what about leaving a whole day earlier?". Then I had to give her a lecture about TATL JV and how fare classes are consistent across UA/AC/SN/LH/LX/OS on TATL segments so it's easier to rebook pax. She told me to call back in half an hour so by that time their web support would start working. I didn't even know mandarin line web support doesn't start working until 5pm PDT. Now I'm on the 3rd agent which insisted it has to be rebooked on LX/UA metal, can't do LH even with JV.

And earlier this month, after I landed in JFK from BRU, I got a text message saying my connecting UA flight to LAX has been canceled. Called UA immediately. Asking for rebooking on AA JFK-LAX direct. Guess what the agent said? "Sir we cannot rebook on other airlines, has to be on UA. What about the 630pm flight from Newark? Can you make it?" I almost started cursing in the immigration line. I guess the agent felt my anger and finally rebooked me on AA after supervisor approval.

I've figured, some agents are treating customers in a "fake it til you make it" way. So tired of the fairy tales from agents..
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2021, 7:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

My last three phone interactions with UA premier desk agents have been outstanding. Each call was made for the purpose of changing a flight in the middle of a trip, and all three interactions were pleasant and successful. In fact, it reminded me of the days before the merger.
Old Sep 23, 2021, 9:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM *G
The "1K desk" agents have been subpar the last couple weeks. Definitely not the norm. Been a lot of HUCA to try and get a competent agent.

Last resort is usually asking for a supervisor and that will land an experienced agent either in ORD/IAH.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2021, 10:37 pm

I'll tell you what - I don't know what's going on with the hold times.

I called the "Premier Desk" (I'm gold) and I've been on hold for over 30 minutes before giving up. This is after the message that my call will be answered in 5-10 minutes.
Old Sep 24, 2021, 12:25 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium; WN A-list; UA Silver
I dunno, I just called the lowly silver line a few minutes ago to fix a weird auto-rebooking issues and she was helpful, quick, and overrode a few things I couldn't on line. Total call time 5min 48 seconds.
OTOH, am I happy united's only options were depart/arrive 12 hours (aka one extra hotel night) early v. get in hours too late for a 5 hr flight, less so.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.