Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

BOS-SFO was PS, was Business, now First, UC no/yes?, service levels? summer no 752s

BOS-SFO was PS, was Business, now First, UC no/yes?, service levels? summer no 752s

Old May 14, 2024, 5:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 4MM GS, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by wxguy
Sometimes that won't work -- such as connecting in SFO for the daytime to SIN. It has to be the first non-stop BOS-SFO. And the 7M9 often has P/Z where going via EWR has only D/C/J.
understand if the schedule won't work but on a change from 752 to 7M9 they treat it a a schedule change and don't require the underlying fare class to be available. They will force/open the fare class.
SPN Lifer and wxguy like this.
Old May 14, 2024, 5:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by cfischer
I doubt November will see the 752 return, but it is also the begin of the winter schedule, so there is hope!
FWIW, last winter (and maybe the one before) BOS-LAX was a steady 2x 752, whereas summers are usually 7M9s. This winter the same is tentatively scheduled, though as I posted in the schedule change sticky thread, UA seems to have loaded an additional 7M9 frequency. I imagine the same is broadly true for BOS-SFO. There might be some year-to-year variance on exact dates given the varying operating periods for seasonal TATLs that use the 752s in the summer.
Old May 14, 2024, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by LifetimeGS
If I book when the 752 is on the schedule and it changes to a 7M9, i have them reroute me via EWR
Complain all you want about recliner F, it's honestly not worth it to add a connection. Maybe on a redeye, but those are miserable no matter how you fly them.
SPN Lifer and Imstevek like this.
Old May 14, 2024, 6:51 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by findark
Complain all you want about recliner F, it's honestly not worth it to add a connection. Maybe on a redeye, but those are miserable no matter how you fly them.
I agree. For me, its not worth adding 2-3 hours to the travel time for a more comfortable seat, especially on a non-redeye.
Old May 14, 2024, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by dw
I agree. For me, its not worth adding 2-3 hours to the travel time for a more comfortable seat, especially on a non-redeye.
And not only the hours, but the EWR connection and the chance for IRROPS that go with that.
Old May 15, 2024, 5:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by dw
Originally Posted by findark
And not only the hours, but the EWR connection and the chance for IRROPS that go with that.
while EWR sucks, irops for the morning flight banks are very uncommon. The red-eyes from SFO connecting up to BOS are IMO a good alternative to get some sleep. Of course there is the B6 option as well ...
telemark27 and ContinentalFan like this.
Old May 15, 2024, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cfischer
while EWR sucks, irops for the morning flight banks are very uncommon. The red-eyes from SFO connecting up to BOS are IMO a good alternative to get some sleep. Of course there is the B6 option as well ...
I agree that the redeye is the one case where it might make sense... but I am not getting anything approaching a reasonable amount of sleep with a sub-5h00 wheels time even if the hard product were SQ F

Maybe the real benefit of the connection is I can go back to taking a nap on EWR-BOS.
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old May 17, 2024, 11:27 am

I wonder if BOS - SFO will go back to lie flat once we get the new A321NEO's with flat seats? (To replace the aging 752s)
Old May 17, 2024, 2:49 pm

Programs: United 1K Member
Originally Posted by ualboston1k
I wonder if BOS - SFO will go back to lie flat once we get the new A321NEO's with flat seats? (To replace the aging 752s)
Are the 321's going to have lie flat?
Old May 17, 2024, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by UAflyerwhoflystomuch
Are the 321's going to have lie flat?
I think the a321XLR variant will.
Old May 17, 2024, 4:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sonyeoshin
I think the a321XLR variant will.
My understanding is that the 321XLR will be a 752 replacement and will have lie-flats. There was supposed to be a MAX10 sub-fleet with lie-flats. Now that the MAX10 is no longer in the fleet plan, it will be interesting to see if there will be a 'normal' 321Neo lie-flat subfleet instead
Old May 17, 2024, 5:10 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by LifetimeGS
My understanding is that the 321XLR will be a 752 replacement and will have lie-flats. There was supposed to be a MAX10 sub-fleet with lie-flats. Now that the MAX10 is no longer in the fleet plan, it will be interesting to see if there will be a 'normal' 321Neo lie-flat subfleet instead
Sub-fleets are costly and an utilization / scheduled issue. Might make more sense to avoid sub-fleets and re-use the 321lXLR TATL birds
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 17, 2024 at 5:45 pm
Old May 17, 2024, 5:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Sub-fleets are costly and an utilization / scheduled issue. Might more sense to aviod sub-fleets and re-use the 321lXLR TATL birds
I completely agree with you on the costs of having a subfleet - my musing was simply replacement of a planned and announced MAX10 subfleet with a 321NEO subfleet. The 321XLR fleet is a constant in both scenarios
Old Jun 12, 2024, 1:23 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Any recent reports of UC access (or denial of access) when flying up front on this route?
Old Jun 12, 2024, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
Any recent reports of UC access (or denial of access) when flying up front on this route?
so far still good as of April this year

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.