Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

BOS-SFO was PS, was Business, now First, UC no/yes?, service levels? summer no 752s

BOS-SFO was PS, was Business, now First, UC no/yes?, service levels? summer no 752s

Old Apr 11, 2023, 7:36 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by cfischer
not all flights are 752 on the BOS-SFO route. There are still some 73Ms ...

I doubt they removed Club access, but will be interesting to hear reports.
I can confirm UC access is not available ask a benefit of flying first BOS<>SFO. A few weeks ago I was in the BOS UC and saw someone without a membership denied entry.
Old Apr 11, 2023, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by wxguy
I can confirm UC access is not available ask a benefit of flying first BOS<>SFO. A few weeks ago I was in the BOS UC and saw someone without a membership denied entry.

That's a terrible change then Did you confirm that person was in the front?
Old Apr 11, 2023, 12:09 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold

I will be flying that route again on Saturday and my understanding is it is NOT a "benefit" on that flight.
To add, my PPoints didn't clear and I am sure they won't clear. Have not cleared on this route last time this year as well. Just to restate, very difficult upgrade on SFO-BOS. I guess not much of a surprise to hear.
Old Apr 11, 2023, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by nomad420
I will be flying that route again on Saturday and my understanding is it is NOT a "benefit" on that flight.
To add, my PPoints didn't clear and I am sure they won't clear. Have not cleared on this route last time this year as well. Just to restate, very difficult upgrade on SFO-BOS. I guess not much of a surprise to hear.
well it used to be a benefit and I used it last in February ... it has been unpublished since the route exited 'p.s.' status. That said, I have several BOS agents remind me of the benefit when I checked in.
Old Apr 11, 2023, 3:42 pm

Programs: None yet
well it used to be a benefit and I used it last in February ... it has been unpublished since the route exited 'p.s.' status. That said, I have several BOS agents remind me of the benefit when I checked in.
UC access was there because the up-front seats were sold as "United Business", which grants UC access by the system. Now that it is back to "United First", like any other non-p.s. domestic first class, it does not have UC access anymore.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2023, 6:12 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB

Yes, I overheard the conversation. BOS<>SFO is marketed as "United First." Standard first class UC access rules apply -- membership, one-time pass, GS status, etc.

The UA Website now only lists EWR-LAX/SFO as eligible for UC access on Premium Transcontinental Service. BOS was removed over a year ago.

Unwind before your flight.
All United Business travelers on transcontinental premium service can visit our United Club℠ locations to relax and enjoy complimentary food and beverages or to finish up any last-minute work before boarding. We offer premium wine and spirits and complimentary Wi-Fi at all locations.

Old Apr 11, 2023, 10:18 pm

Programs: None yet
Originally Posted by wxguy

The UA Website now only lists EWR-LAX/SFO as eligible for UC access on Premium Transcontinental Service. BOS was removed over a year ago.
While BOS-SFO was removed from the p.s. website long time ago, BOS-SFO was still sold as "United Business" for the most part of the 2022. I personally flew a few times, and I accessed UCs with my boarding passes without any issues. I believe the final switch to regular "United First" was fairly recent in 2023. Not sure about the exact switch date.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2023, 5:17 am

Originally Posted by moyang_mm
While BOS-SFO was removed from the p.s. website long time ago, BOS-SFO was still sold as "United Business" for the most part of the 2022. I personally flew a few times, and I accessed UCs with my boarding passes without any issues. I believe the final switch to regular "United First" was fairly recent in 2023. Not sure about the exact switch date.
Indeed it was not a smooth transition! Selling as United Business while running 737Max planes with standard first class meal service (and no other amenities) shows the disconnect between IT and marketing.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2023, 9:54 am

Programs: United 1K
Last year I booked SFO-BOS as P.S. for a flight on May 6, 2023 -- my booking confirmation email shows United Business rather than United First -- but I believe UA has since dropped P.S. from this route. Am I out of luck on United Club access in SFO or will they honor it?
Old Apr 17, 2023, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by njwatson32
Last year I booked SFO-BOS as P.S. for a flight on May 6, 2023 -- my booking confirmation email shows United Business rather than United First -- but I believe UA has since dropped P.S. from this route. Am I out of luck on United Club access in SFO or will they honor it?
No access unless you have a membership, pass, etc. SFO-BOS is no longer a Premium Transcontinental Service route. It's just United First that has 757s as metal for most (but not all) frequencies. When you get your boarding pass, it will say United First, not United Business.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2023, 1:36 pm

I know it's no longer a p.s. route, but it was when I booked the ticket, so they should honor the conditions that came with that fare, no?
Old Apr 17, 2023, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
I know it's no longer a p.s. route, but it was when I booked the ticket, so they should honor the conditions that came with that fare, no?
You probably should look at the fare rules for your ticket.

David
Old Apr 17, 2023, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by DELee
You probably should look at the fare rules for your ticket.

David
AFAICT official fare rules never mention anything about the actual product received. Some product changes (like aircraft swap with different cabin, in-flight service) are considered fair game, whereas others (bumping to lower cabin, schedule changes) require providing a refund or rebooking. It's unclear which category "revoking lounge access" falls into. The closest precedent I can think of is during covid when the Polaris lounge was closed, but in that case UA at least provided a fully open bar in the United Club. That seems to be some acknowledgment on their part that lounge access is part of the advertised product.
Old Apr 17, 2023, 3:19 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond Amb
The Premium Transcon designation for Boston-SFO was dropped back in November 2020. There is no way you could have purchased a ticket for 2023 before then.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32818452-post5.html
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2023, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by PTahCha
The Premium Transcon designation for Boston-SFO was dropped back in November 2020. There is no way you could have purchased a ticket for 2023 before then.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32818452-post5.html
That was a covid change. It was restored as p.s. some time in 2021, as I flew the route several times between Nov '21 and Jan '23, all marketed as United Business and included United Club access. The change to drop p.s. again must be recent.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.