FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   BOS-SFO was PS, was Business, now First, UC no/yes?, service levels? summer no 752s (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2053176-bos-sfo-ps-business-now-first-uc-no-yes-service-levels-summer-no-752s.html)

LifetimeGS Jun 23, 2021 7:42 pm

BOS-SFO was PS, was Business, now First, UC no/yes?, service levels? summer no 752s

Through much of the pandemic, when BOS-SFO service operated with 737s, it was still concerned PS service (ps-lite?) with hot meal service when only PS flights had hot meal service, and no CPU upgrades. Just booked a roundtrip in September and the 'Complimentary Premier Upgrade Requested' now shows......I wonder if this is the official death knell for BOS-SFO PS for now, and that the 757s will not return anytime soon?

entropy Jun 23, 2021 7:55 pm

it wasn't "PS" before, and then it was.. and now , its COVID.

I'd say it all depends how business travel looks in 12 months.

WineCountryUA Jun 23, 2021 8:00 pm

BOS was dropped from the non-CPU list last Nov 2020

LifetimeGS Jun 23, 2021 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 33352359)
BOS was dropped from the non-CPU list last Nov 2020

Not challenging your sources wine, but I've had three roundtrips in 2021 BOS-SFO and they have all been plus point only

cfischer Jun 23, 2021 8:07 pm

BOS-SFO has been dropped a while ago now. UA IT has been slow to reflect that but it has not been 'PS' for some time now. I do hope this comes back ... we'll see.

WineCountryUA Jun 23, 2021 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by LifetimeGS (Post 33352363)
Not challenging your sources ...

Source was UA.com

Appears it has take some time to update the system

LifetimeGS Jun 23, 2021 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 33352368)
Source was UA.com

Appears it has take some time to update the system

There was a discrepancy between what was on bomb and what I experienced. When asked GS agents said still considered PS and plus points needed for upgrade. wasn't an issue since I had lots and didn't ever try without to see what would happen. Shocking that UA might give conflicting information :-)

wxguy Jun 24, 2021 6:00 am

Originally Posted by LifetimeGS (Post 33352373)
There was a discrepancy between what was on bomb and what I experienced. When asked GS agents said still considered PS and plus points needed for upgrade. wasn't an issue since I had lots and didn't ever try without to see what would happen. Shocking that UA might give conflicting information :-)

And 737s (including 7M9s) are now on the schedule through October 4. I'm guessing the loss of the 772PWs as well as the previous retirement of the 757-222s have led to this. Maybe when/if the 772PWs are returned to service there will be enough pmCO-752s for BOS<>SFO.

ORDnHKG Jun 24, 2021 7:06 am

Originally Posted by wxguy (Post 33353075)
And 737s (including 7M9s) are now on the schedule through October 4. I'm guessing the loss of the 772PWs as well as the previous retirement of the 757-222s have led to this. Maybe when/if the 772PWs are returned to service there will be enough pmCO-752s for BOS<>SFO.

There are actually half of pmCO 752 that are still parked as intl + ps flights demand are still limited without much paid J revenue, so it doesn't necessary need to wait for 772PW to return if they want it

bourbonbum Jun 24, 2021 8:38 am

Originally Posted by LifetimeGS (Post 33352363)
Not challenging your sources wine, but I've had three roundtrips in 2021 BOS-SFO and they have all been plus point only

Same here, had a few trips on this leg after it was supposed to be dropped and it was still treated like PS. Lounge access in SFO, hot meals, etc.

LouieBOS Jun 24, 2021 9:55 am

This is my main route and UAs frequent service was appreciated. I really like the 757s too.

the old 737s are unappealing and the Max is a no-fly for me, so I am booking flights with a stop, trying to fly 787/777 cross country from EWR or IAD.

IMO, UA will lose market share if they go with an inferior product compared to B6 and DL.

bourbonbum Jun 24, 2021 10:26 am

Originally Posted by LouieBOS (Post 33353635)
This is my main route and UAs frequent service was appreciated. I really like the 757s too.

the old 737s are unappealing and the Max is a no-fly for me, so I am booking flights with a stop, trying to fly 787/777 cross country from EWR or IAD.

IMO, UA will lose market share if they go with an inferior product compared to B6 and DL.

Agree, I’m going B6 Mint on this route this weekend for the first time. Never tried it before, but was able to grab it at the same price as UA on a 738. No contest with that decision.

moyang_mm Sep 21, 2021 2:10 pm

Why SFO-BOS still marked as "United Business" not "First"? as lie-flats dropped

United has discontinued premium transcontinental service from/to BOS since the pandemic began. Now on flights between BOS and SFO operated by 737, United still market the premium cabin as "United Business" rather than "United First", despite these routes are CPU-eligible and non-lie-flat. Does anybody know the reason?

dkc192 Sep 21, 2021 2:14 pm

They probably were lazy and never got around to doing it, perhaps thinking that using non-lie-flat aircraft on the route would be a short-term, temporary thing. If the route is now CPU eligible while maintaining the perks of being marketed as United Business (i.e., club access in SFO or BOS), then there's nothing to complain about! (Well, except for the loss of lie-flat seating, but that's assumed to be a given in the scenario/question OP was asking.)

IAH-OIL-TRASH Sep 21, 2021 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by moyang_mm (Post 33585778)
United has discontinued premium transcontinental service from/to BOS since the pandemic began. Now on flights between BOS and SFO operated by 737, United still market the premium cabin as "United Business" rather than "United First", despite these routes are CPU-eligible and non-lie-flat. Does anybody know the reason?

Interesting. I'm sure it's just an oversight by UA. Still, "Business" is the magical marketing designation that provides UC access. I wonder if the boarding pass scanners at the UC might see "business" and give the green light (and, if so, probably overruled by the desk agent)?