Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Mexico's new Tourist Exit Tax on UA tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2021, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Wife flying back from Cabo to SFO, had to pay for a bag, $35, but the charge on AMEX is $36.40, why? Why not $35, which is what I paid going down.

I dont care about the $1.40, just curious.

I should clarify I dont know what they told her the charge was, I just saw it on my AMEX account and know that it should be $35.

I guess you dont need proof of vaccination to come back, didn't need it to go down, but then I read somewhere you need it to get back. They had to be tested and the resort handled that I think.

And what is "immigration visa passes?" Wife had to buy 5 of them for her and the family, $170. They were there for 7 days. Is this normal?

Last edited by randys1; Jul 31, 2021 at 2:45 pm
Old Jul 31, 2021, 2:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by randys1
Wife flying back from Cabo to SFO, had to pay for a bag, $35, but the charge on AMEX is $36.40
I would guess it's either the foreign exchange, or Mexican tax.
DutchessPDX likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2021, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I would guess it's either the foreign exchange, or Mexican tax.
That is what I thought also, but just wanted to ask.

Do you know about paying for an "immigration visa pass" for being there 7 days, she had to get 5 for the family (there are total of 5 of them) for total of $170 in order to leave.
Old Jul 31, 2021, 4:14 pm

Do you know about paying for an "immigration visa pass" for being there 7 days, she had to get 5 for the family (there are total of 5 of them) for total of $170 in order to leave.
The Mexican "tourist card" (FMM) costs about US$30 and you need to buy one if you cross by land and are planning to stay more than 7 days.

If you fly it's included in the cost of the ticket and you don't pay separately.

You need to turn one in when leaving by air; if you've lost it or somehow never got one, you have to pay again.

Requirements for visiting Mexico 🇲🇽 as a tourist (FMM, "tourist card", visa, etc.)
Old Jul 31, 2021, 5:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by threeoh
The Mexican "tourist card" (FMM) costs about US$30 and you need to buy one if you cross by land and are planning to stay more than 7 days.

If you fly it's included in the cost of the ticket and you don't pay separately.

You need to turn one in when leaving by air; if you've lost it or somehow never got one, you have to pay again.

Requirements for visiting Mexico 🇲🇽 as a tourist (FMM, "tourist card", visa, etc.)
Thanks, then I assume they were given one when they checked in to fly over there maybe and lost it. They weren't told anything so they wouldn't have known what to do.
Old Aug 1, 2021, 10:35 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
And what is "immigration visa passes?" Wife had to buy 5 of them for her and the family, $170. They were there for 7 days. Is this normal?
When and where did they purchase them? As noted, this is part of the taxes and fees collected by the airline, and the price should show as a line item ("Mexico Tourism Tax") on the airline ticket receipt ($29.72) You'll also see the Mexico Departure Tax ($34.72):

Old Sep 4, 2021, 10:56 pm

Programs: U/A premier 1K. UA 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
miles and $78.00 dollars for MEX-USA flight? (Mexico Visit Exit Tax)

I am a little tired but searched the united site on flyer talk for a half hour and didnt see a comment related to this. I am used to booking a domestic
mileage flite for x number of miles and about $6.00 in fees. I just checked flites from mexico city to sfo and I saw 17,000plus miles and $78.00?!!. I know this is an international flite but Is the web site messed up or when did the cost of a mileage ticket get up to this price and miles for ticket from mexico. I can buy the ticket for about 150.00 and save the miles. I am used to this for mileage upgrades on long haul flites to europe or asia but not mexico.

Last edited by gallen5555; Sep 4, 2021 at 11:04 pm
Old Sep 4, 2021, 11:26 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Mexico Tourist Exit Tax
Is there an exit tax when leaving Mexico?
How much is the tax to get out of Mexico? The prices are subject to change, but currently, the departure tax sits at $1,150 Mexican Peso, which is roughly $65 or £50 per person, depending on the exchange rate. However, your hotel or resort rep will be able to keep you up-to-date with any changes during your stay.
It is included in the paid airfare but as a tax is separate on award flights

The mileage is the standard amount for USA-Mexico
Old Sep 4, 2021, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
There are more fees for inbound INTL flights, but miles haven't been fixed for a while now. Welcome to the dynamic system of UA awards.

If cash fare is more attractive, purchase that. If award has a better value, pick that option. You can also head to other airlines, where better values (cash and/or award) may be had.
Old Sep 4, 2021, 11:37 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Predynamic award, USA-Mexico economy saver was 17,500. Appears that was what happened here "17,000plus miles"
The anomaly is the new exit tax. All such taxes are added as a cash fee of the award. The tax is integrated in the paid airfare.

Other carriers will have the same local taxes.
Repooc17 likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2021, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Also, don't forget other fees that are incurred on international tickets to the US.

Customs/argicultural inspection fees, etc. I'm not used to Mexico, per say, but have a bit of experience with Canada. US-Canada with miles, and the fees are just the $5.60. Canada-US is somewhere in the $60, or a bit less, range.
Old Sep 5, 2021, 8:32 am

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
I originally read the title not as "new Mexico tourist tax" but "[State of] New Mexico tourist tax". I am now less puzzled.
TerryK, lincolnjkc and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Sep 5, 2021, 8:35 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
IMO better it's dealt with at purchase as opposed to an airport add-on. I well remember the days when you had get a piece of paper in Mexico. Colombia used to do similar, involving standing in line at a window and getting a stamp on a piece of paper that you had to show the agent at check-in.

If you've ever booked an award departing from a European airport, you've seen similar. The UK and Germany have particularly steep fees/taxes on departures.
Originally Posted by Miles Ahead
I originally read the title not as "new Mexico tourist tax" but "[State of] New Mexico tourist tax". I am now less puzzled.
Ditto. I thought we were going to be reading about a constitutional violation.
TerryK and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Sep 5, 2021, 9:27 am

Programs: U/A premier 1K. UA 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
thanks wine Country and everyone who commented on the new tax.Still Living in the past.... 3 years ago, I purchased a mileage ticket with $5.60 in charges and that was it. Of course then there was no higher tax like today. Oh well
Old Sep 5, 2021, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Miles Ahead
Ditto. Reminds me of an old joke where a guy had his New Mexico license refused as ID in store. The clerk claimed "we cannot accept foreign IDs".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.