Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Polaris check in at O'Hare: no actual agents?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Polaris check in at O'Hare: no actual agents?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2021, 10:32 am

Programs: UA 1K | Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by NikoLGA
I check a bag roughly 20% of the time, the rest of the time, I just want my BP. I’d rather queue up and check-in, it’s a mental checkmark for me in the day-of-flight process. And in the case of ORD (but really I find EWR to be the worst), it can sometimes take 10 minutes to flag down an agent at Premier Access. Sometimes, I rather just go to Additional Services and wait in a traditional queue, despite having access to Premier.
Interesting - so not even just a physical boarding pass issue (as you can use kiosks to quickly print a physical BP) but about the process / agent interaction. Unfortunately for you, I would imagine the days of this being a task they let check-in agents do (when there is no bag check or technical issue) is quickly coming to an end. I would not be surprised if in the next 10 years physical boarding passes are eliminated by the major airlines. There are flyers nowadays who have potentially never had a physical boarding pass if they always use mobile and started flying in the last 8-9 years.

I could never imagine waiting in line for something I can access on my phone but clearly different mindsets / philosophies on the travel experience.

Originally Posted by GUWonder
When I’m checking bags with United, I am often in need of manual agent assistance. Between the manual travel document checks for my one-way international trips, the use of separate tickets across multiple Star Alliance airline flights and a mix of other things, the chances that I need a check-in agent tend to be high enough and at such times that the super-decimation of UA check-in staff availability at ORD is more than just a minor nuisance for me — it makes a difference in when and how I fly out, whether with luggage to check-in or not.
This is completely in the category of critical reasons for having staffing though so agree that they need to maintain (or expand) agent availability for this.
Old Sep 3, 2021, 11:19 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by n8-the-gr8

This is completely in the category of critical reasons for having staffing though so agree that they need to maintain (or expand) agent availability for this.
If UA had "remote" check-in agents able to handle things through a video call on a kiosk and push out things for me -- and if the agents were empowered by UA to actually do customer-friendly things to the complete extent I get from the at-airport check-in agents -- then I wouldn't have a complaint about this aspect of UA. At least not unless and until there is a computer/communication systems outage or stuck behind one or more flightload of passengers hit by IRROPS.
SPN Lifer and n8-the-gr8 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.