NRSA - Cancelations

Old Aug 21, 2021, 4:30 pm
Original Poster

NRSA - Cancelations

Anyone know if I can cancel a Non Rev standby ticket after I get through security if something were to come up?
Old Aug 21, 2021, 4:34 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Questions about NSRA travel are best done via the employee site or directed to your sponsor.
fezzington likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2021, 10:05 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Okay, I'll bite even though this sounds fishy. What would "come up" after getting through security that would necessitate cancelling the flight reservation?
Old Aug 21, 2021, 10:58 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
Okay, I'll bite even though this sounds fishy. What would "come up" after getting through security that would necessitate cancelling the flight reservation?
Why do you have to bite on anything? It could be a family emergency, getting called up for duty, all kinds of things. Forget the NRSA aspect -- can't you imagine things coming up for you after getting through security that would necessitate cancelling your trip?
Old Aug 21, 2021, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
I know nothing about this.

But if a rev passenger can cancel the ticket and walk out before departure, I can't see why not for NRSA, especially given the standby nature.
Old Aug 22, 2021, 2:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by garykung
But if a rev passenger can cancel the ticket and walk out before departure, I can't see why not for NRSA, especially given the standby nature.
UA can (and has) closed revenue passengers' accounts for doing this frequently. Lufthansa actually sued somebody for this (he was using the lounge on each visit).

I suspect the policy is different for NRSA, which is why WineCountryUA's advice is spot-on. OP should ask on the employee site, if applicable, or contact their employee sponsor to learn the rules.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2021, 6:49 am

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
can't you imagine things coming up for you after getting through security that would necessitate cancelling your trip?
Sure. No problem. It's harder to imagine these in advance though.

I agree with WineCountryUA.
Old Aug 22, 2021, 7:22 am

Programs: UA 1K
It’s done all the time.

ie: flight is full, and all flights of the day are gone. just cancel it and go home.
DoctorORD likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2021, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by schnitzer
It’s done all the time.

ie: flight is full, and all flights of the day are gone. just cancel it and go home.
I imagine the situation matters. Booking a non rev flight just to pass through security and take a stroll through the airport with no intention of flying probably wouldn't be the best idea.
Old Aug 22, 2021, 9:40 am

I'm pretty sure every day there are a high number of people with NRSA bookings who make it through security and end up cancelling for personal reasons or because the flight is full (or onward flights look full, so don't bother going to gateway).

I don't think anyone would know or care unless you are doing something fishy repeatedly or have checked bags.
Old Aug 22, 2021, 9:41 am
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Yeah, when I was a NRSA I did this a couple of times.

Usually when flying a foreign airline that didn't do PreCheck.

List for whatever flight generate a "boarding pass" use precheck and then cancel my listing.

You also sometimes have to make the "walk of shame" back out of the airport if you don't clear what you had hoped.

If you are truly pass riding almost all airport staff totally get that you will be in a weird situation.

One time I was sitting in J on a HKG-ORD flight and 4 of us got kicked off right before the door closed because the captain elected to take more fuel not us. There we had to go back through transit security even though we didn't actually go anywhere.

International NRSA flying is all about flexibility and having plans A through Z if you actually need to be somewhere in +/- 2 days on a long international segment.

Not for the faint of heart, but when it works out you really can't beat it.
SPN Lifer and uanj like this.
Old Aug 22, 2021, 10:59 am
Suspended

Programs: Taiwan is a country.
Originally Posted by morrya13
Anyone know if I can cancel a Non Rev standby ticket after I get through security if something were to come up?

yes.
Old Aug 22, 2021, 1:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by morrya13
Yes, I've done it when my plans suddenly changed or knew I wasn't going to make a flight.

It only becomes a problem once an agent "clears" you, and then you'd have to talk to the agent to cancel you, but that's only done most of the time during/just before boarding so anytime before that you'd have no issues.

Originally Posted by zeus2120
I imagine the situation matters. Booking a non rev flight just to pass through security and take a stroll through the airport with no intention of flying probably wouldn't be the best idea.
On purpose sure but there's no harm considering you pass through the same security and you aren't taking inventory away from the airline just to purposely cancel it later.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 22, 2021 at 1:52 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Aug 22, 2021, 2:21 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
It is actually fairly common for a NonRev traveler to have or want to cancel once you pass security.

NonRev travel is much harder than a lot of people think because it is seniority based - as in, no incentive to list for a flight early.

You easily get tripped up even if you think you have a decent chance to get on the flight.

Let's say I want to go SFO-LAX. Before leaving for the airport I check the loads - where I am in the list - and think, yep - I'll probably get on. As you leave for the airport - other employees with higher seniority also list for the flight - you start moving down and down (it happens all the time). The Rev travelers start tripping you up with same day change. You are already at the airport - might as well check in and go thru security because a bunch of people who listed inevitably don't show as well. You sit there - and realize - nope, I'm not getting on and even when I get rolled to the next standby list I'll never get on so you cancel and go home.
SPN Lifer and uanj like this.
Old Aug 22, 2021, 3:42 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Yes. It’s a ticket like any other, except doesn’t have confirmed space.

If you’re thinking about doing this to get into the Amex or priority pass lounges, most of them have a rule saying that only confirmed space same-day counts. Specifically to keep out staff.

I can imagine doing this. I’m at DFW D terminal and I want to go *somewhere* but I’m not gonna clear. Log into jetnet or whatever and list for something else instead.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.