Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Denver issues: 19 Aug 2021 WX / Gate availability & 20 Aug concourse train breakdown

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Denver issues: 19 Aug 2021 WX / Gate availability & 20 Aug concourse train breakdown

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2021, 10:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS 3Million, Marriott/SPG LIFETIME Platinum - current Titanium, HHonors Diamond

Wow. Sitting here at DIA waiting for Ms BHF. Plane (second one - more on that) landed (UA2485) at 9:41 and AN HOUR LATER they are still waiting for a ramp crew.

Adding insult to injury to my wife was the fact that she was on UA407 which they turned around and sent back to Chicago when a wee thunderstorm went over the field. Crew timed out, stranding a 777 worth of pax in Chicago.

This can’t just be weather - must be lack of employees or something else.
hwninny likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2021, 10:52 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Looks like some nearby thunderstroms

Any lightning strikes?

Flight Aware reports
Denver Intl (KDEN) is currently experiencing departure delays an average of 1 hours 42 minutes (and increasing).
Old Aug 20, 2021, 8:11 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
New mess at DEN on August 20

Originally Posted by BlueHenFlyer
Wow. Sitting here at DIA waiting for Ms BHF. Plane (second one - more on that) landed (UA2485) at 9:41 and AN HOUR LATER they are still waiting for a ramp crew.

Adding insult to injury to my wife was the fact that she was on UA407 which they turned around and sent back to Chicago when a wee thunderstorm went over the field. Crew timed out, stranding a 777 worth of pax in Chicago.

The train at DEN does not work on Aug. 20, which causes flight delay this morning.
Old Aug 20, 2021, 8:14 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus
I still dont get why there isnt a back up plan that you can walk to b and c. This is absurd.
Old Aug 20, 2021, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Spotted on the ramp at EWR:

Old Aug 20, 2021, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
A couple of flights being delayed and stuck on a ramp is basically the "norm" at EWR. So not sure how this even qualifies as a meltdown. The hyperbole in the title is something else.

But I do find this interesting. The fly.faa.gov website lists DEN as the only non-green airport right now with the following reason:

Due to AIRLINE REQUEST, there is a Traffic Management Program in effect for traffic arriving Denver International Airport, Denver, CO (DEN). This is causing some arriving flights to be delayed an average of 28 minutes. To see if you may be affected, select your departure airport and check "Delays by Destination".

It doesn't list the airline. Could be UA, could be F9. Luckily I'm flying via IAH today.

-RM
Old Aug 20, 2021, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by robonli
a couple of flights being delayed and stuck on a ramp is basically the "norm" at ewr. So not sure how this even qualifies as a meltdown. The hyperbole in the title is something else.

But i do find this interesting. The fly.faa.gov website lists den as the only non-green airport right now with the following reason:

due to airline request, there is a traffic management program in effect for traffic arriving denver international airport, denver, co (den). This is causing some arriving flights to be delayed an average of 28 minutes. To see if you may be affected, select your departure airport and check "delays by destination".

it doesn't list the airline. Could be ua, could be f9. Luckily i'm flying via iah today.

-rm
COMMENTS: GROUND STOP FOR UAL MAINLINE AND SUB CARRIERS CANCELLED.
UAL MAINLINE AND SUBCARRIER ONLY GROUND DELAY PROGRAM NOW IN AFFECT,
AIRLINE REQUEST. AIRCRAFT ARE RELEASED ON EDCTS.

Filler to satisfy the forum.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2021, 10:18 am

Programs: SWA
One of the trains tracks (west) is down this am…TSA thru put reduced by 75 percent to keep from filling up trains lobby.

currently sitting on a plane delaying push waiting for late running pax to get thru security

Believe airport and airlines requested ground stop inbound to try and slow down the cascading effect

i fly DEN weekly…worst I have ever seen…very bad here
SPN Lifer and photojojo like this.
Old Aug 20, 2021, 10:23 am

Programs: Several
The storms at DEN caused several aircraft to divert, and DEN was backed up for hours after that trying to catch up with all the flights. It looked like gate space was also an issue as there was a ground stop more than likely.

It seemed like it was weather to me. I was stuck in DEN for a 5 hour delay.
Old Aug 20, 2021, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
About an hour of some pretty insane thunderstorms in the area around 3pm. Two tornado warnings kind of near (south and west of) the airport. It's been a while since that much rain fell in that short amount of time.
Old Aug 20, 2021, 10:56 am

Programs: Does Non Rev count?

The only part of this I can comment on is the "wee thunderstorm" comment. As a Captain, there is NO wee thunderstorm. Airliners have crashed because of pilot hubris in thinking they can beat the weather, or it won't be that bad. I will ALWAYS delay or divert if the weather picture doesn't meet my personal standards for safety. I am certain my peers feel the same way.
TerryK, Daze, rockdoc and 16 others like this.
Old Aug 20, 2021, 11:33 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by 757FO
The only part of this I can comment on is the "wee thunderstorm" comment. As a Captain, there is NO wee thunderstorm. Airliners have crashed because of pilot hubris in thinking they can beat the weather, or it won't be that bad. I will ALWAYS delay or divert if the weather picture doesn't meet my personal standards for safety. I am certain my peers feel the same way.
The takeoff is optional, the landing is mandatory... And I'm sure you want to get to our (intended) destination as quickly and safely as I do -- after all if something does happen your odds and my odds aren't that diverged.
A diversion or delay may be inconvenient (though I remember being amused by a diversion to ATL on an ORD-JAX because of icing conditions between ATL and JAX and our AC had been dispatched with antiice inop) but it's a lot better than letting the get-there-itis get you dead.
SPN Lifer, kale73, Kmxu and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 20, 2021, 11:45 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, United Silver
Originally Posted by Kmxu
The train at DEN does not work on Aug. 20, which causes flight delay this morning.
Train also broken on Jul 5 only 6 weeks ago. If this becomes a frequently recurring problem really questions reliability of the airport.
Old Aug 20, 2021, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
I fly out of DEN weekly and I can tell you that they have the worst reliability on the escalators, moving sidewalks and trains. It is rare to find everything running on any given day. The escalators and moving sidewalks seem to be the biggest issue as one or more all always out of order with the yellow barriiers up and guys crawling around inside.
Old Aug 20, 2021, 1:11 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium
There needs to be a backup plan. When the train fails, B and C are totally cut off. Maybe it’s a long walk. Maybe no one will use it when the train is working. But a walkway needs to be added.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.