UA asks FAs not to use duct tape

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2021, 6:39 pm
Original Poster

UA asks FAs not to use duct tape

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/19/u...s-desk-breadth

Some excerpts follow:

United Asks Flight Attendants Not to Tape Passengers to Seats

Their union called the memo a publicity stunt. But plans by the F.A.A. to fine passengers suggest that the skies remain unruly, as does American Airlines’ extension of its alcohol ban. . . .

. . . . These moves coincided with wider attention to a United Airlines memo that flight attendants denounced as a publicity stunt. In it, United Airlines updated attendants about hiring, thanked them for being so friendly and then issued an odd plea.

“Please remember that there are designated items onboard that may be used in difficult situations and alternative measures such as tape should never be used,” John Slater, United’s senior vice president of in-flight services, wrote. . . .

. . . . United Airlines removed restraint tape from its cabins in 2014, she said, so the reminder made no sense. She suspects the memo was leaked in a PR move.

Sara Nelson, the president of the Association of Flight Attendants,
, calling the memo a “sick marketing stunt” and asking the airline to apologize to flight attendants.

The memo is “offensive,” Ms. Garland said. “They are not offering flight attendants real tools to deal with an unprecedented rise in unruly passengers.”

United, which shared the memo after a request from The New York Times, declined to discuss when the airline banned tape altogether or what flight attendants should do to control disruptive passengers.

Ms. Garland said that United, like many airlines, keeps “tough cuffs,” which look like zip ties, onboard for restraining passengers. . . .

Old Aug 19, 2021, 7:00 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
UA probably thinks that Gorilla Glue works better
Old Aug 19, 2021, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by AndyPatterson
...United Airlines removed restraint tape from its cabins in 2014....
Gee, I wish I had known I should be bringing duct tape in my United carry on....
Old Aug 19, 2021, 9:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Just another cost-cutting move . . . .
Old Aug 19, 2021, 10:26 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
When I texted my GF about the story to be humorous - I got the reply what a stupid story - we don't have duct tape.
Old Aug 20, 2021, 12:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
They can have my Gorilla duct tape. It's absolutely rubbish. Mind you I have not tried it on skin. Or gorillas.
Old Aug 20, 2021, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Gorilla tape is extraordinary useful to pack balikbayan boxes for UA flights to MNL.
bloodyeyeballs likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2021, 9:32 am

Programs: UA LT 1K 3MM (former 12 yr GS), Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
I understand UA will maintain an exception for 3-4 inch strips of duct tape - for use on overly chatty seat neighbors. For use on mouth only. Nose must remain clear for breathing purposes. And of course a mask over both. No eating or drinking, just breathing.
Old Aug 20, 2021, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Gee, I wish I had known I should be bringing duct tape in my United carry on....

Unfortunately not, you can’t bring it in anymore. They won’t allowed it. Just in case, leave the duct tape at home.
Old Aug 20, 2021, 12:15 pm

Programs: 1MM, UA 1k
Originally Posted by N830MH
Unfortunately not, you can’t bring it in anymore. They won’t allowed it. Just in case, leave the duct tape at home.
TSA screens for it. It’s not a UA thing. Google Kari Byron (from Mythbusters)and duct tape.
Old Aug 20, 2021, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by N830MH
Originally Posted by Imstevek
TSA screens for it. It’s not a UA thing. Google Kari Byron (from Mythbusters)and duct tape.
Source? Seems it is allowed...

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-...tems/duct-tape
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2021, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Imstevek
Fine. It’s okay.

Originally Posted by goodeats21
You’re right. I did not realize that. Sure, they can allowed it.
Old Aug 20, 2021, 3:21 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
I have flown with it. My GF from years ago use to duct tape her unstable knees when she skied. We use to take it to EGE all the time and in our carry on. Crazy as it sounds she claimed it worked. I guess she could have bought a brace but for whatever reason she used duct tape.
SPN Lifer, Kacee and deek like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.