Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Requiring All US Employees to Vaccinate - now by 27 Sept 2021

UA Requiring All US Employees to Vaccinate - now by 27 Sept 2021

Old Aug 23, 2021, 7:42 pm

Programs: UA Plat-2MM, Marriott Life Titanium, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly
I'd guess United picked 5 weeks because, Pfizer was 1st in line to receive non-emergency authorization, and Pfizer 2nd shot is recommended at Jab1+3 weeks, plus 2 weeks for vaccine to be deemed fully effective, equals 5 weeks.

So yes, they should get vaccinated today.
I think UA means the second shot should be received by the deadline, which gives people two weeks of flexibility from today for scheduling.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2021, 10:58 am

Interesting to see Delta, which announced no formal mandate, is going to charge unvaccinated employees $2400 / year in surcharge for health benefits. That's in addition to additional changes, like removing pay protection for positive COVID tests. The UA vaccine mandate seems a lot easier to execute and cleaner to explain than the multiple Delta policies, though both working toward the same goal. I guess one reason Delta might be taking this approach is concern about the local Georgia politics re: vaccine mandate itself.

Delta Air Lines is intensifying pressure on employees to get vaccinated with a series of increasingly burdensome requirements over the coming weeks and months, though it stopped short of the mandates that other airlines and businesses have put in place.

In a letter to employees on Wednesday, the carrier’s chief executive, Ed Bastian, said that those who have not been vaccinated will immediately be required to wear masks indoors. Starting on Sept. 12, they will also have to take weekly coronavirus tests.

On Sept. 30, unvaccinated workers will lose pay protection for employees who test positive for the virus and miss work while having to quarantine. Finally, starting on Nov. 1, any employee who remains unvaccinated will have to pay an additional $200 per month to remain on the company’s health care plan.

“This surcharge will be necessary to address the financial risk the decision to not vaccinate is creating for our company,” Mr. Bastian said. “In recent weeks since the rise of the B.1.617.2 variant, all Delta employees who have been hospitalized with Covid were not fully vaccinated.”
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/25/b...mid=tw-nytimes
chavala and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Aug 25, 2021, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
...To me it shows they care about their workers and their passengers.
The airlines also worry about medical costs. A lot of their employees are in close proximity to customers and each other. Airline exposure to increase medical costs per employee are probably higher than a lot of other companies. I recently moved to a condo at Honolulu Harbor and am amazed how 100s of workers (at the loading/unloading container facility across the harbor) are naturally separated. Dozens of truck drivers, crane operators, traffic control, etc. Not so at the airlines.

Beyond the harbor, I can see two UA tails at the Diamond Head concourse this morning. Kinda cool...

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Aug 25, 2021 at 11:30 am
Old Aug 25, 2021, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
The airlines also worry about medical costs. A lot of their employees are in close proximity to customers and each other. Airline exposure to increase medical costs per employee are probably higher than a lot of other companies..
And having 1-3 employees die a week tends to be both demoralizing and bad for business operations.

Lurch, chavala and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Aug 25, 2021, 12:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Great to see the CEO out front and public on this and hope others follow his lead.

That only applies to health and safety measures, not soft product “enhancements”
Old Aug 25, 2021, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Great to see the CEO out front and public on this and hope others follow his lead.

That only applies to health and safety measures, not soft product “enhancements”
would you be as supportive of smth like:
"we are losing 1-3 employees per week due to diabetes and cardiovascular etc diseases linked to obesity therefore we require everyone to complete screening and, if prescribed, treatment cycle"

refusing to vaccinate may be foolish and politicizing that issue was extremely unfortunate (and irresponsible and criminal imo) but it doesnt mean employers (or state) should be forcing medical procedures for individuals under the flag of greater good... i'd much rather see education/incentive/penalty approach ala delta..
Old Aug 25, 2021, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by azepine00
"we are losing 1-3 employees per week due to diabetes and cardiovascular etc diseases linked to obesity therefore we require everyone to complete screening and, if prescribed, treatment cycle"
And some employers have wellness programs in place that require screening and meeting certain metrics to obtain certain funds related to health/wellness.
Old Aug 25, 2021, 2:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond

refusing to vaccinate may be foolish and politicizing that issue was extremely unfortunate (and irresponsible and criminal imo) but it doesnt mean employers (or state) should be forcing medical procedures for individuals under the flag of greater good... i'd much rather see education/incentive/penalty approach ala delta..
My diabetes doesn't put anyone else at risk.

An unvaccinated employee puts everyone else, including other vaccinated employees, at higher risk.
Old Aug 25, 2021, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by wbatl1
Interesting to see Delta, which announced no formal mandate, is going to charge unvaccinated employees $2400 / year in surcharge for health benefits. That's in addition to additional changes, like removing pay protection for positive COVID tests. The UA vaccine mandate seems a lot easier to execute and cleaner to explain than the multiple Delta policies, though both working toward the same goal. I guess one reason Delta might be taking this approach is concern about the local Georgia politics re: vaccine mandate itself.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/25/b...mid=tw-nytimes
If they are not going to mandate (and I think, at minimum, the companies that have public facing employees should, but that’s for another thread…), at least they are doing this. The penalties should be big enough that it doesn’t make sense (I presume those with legit medical exceptions would not be subject to this). There was actually another NYT article a week or two ago, about who should pay for weekly or twice weekly testing for employees that refuse to get vaccinated at the various companies that have mandates that provide an out. IMO, I don’t see why a company should cover those expenses (again, except where there are legit medical reasons) - if an employee actively chooses not to get the vaccine, the cost of testing should be borne by those responsible, not spread out to everyone.

Im also pretty confident that health insurers in general will (and should) charge a surcharge for those who refuse the vaccine (again, aside from legit medical exceptions). We already see this in other areas, where smokeers pay a surcharge, and/or others who give a discount on premiums to those who get an annual physical every year.

It’s a very American concept to have people pay their way out of [insert item here]. With public health involved, I’m not sure why folks should be able to pay their way out of this. Given the amount of people that can be affected by these folks who won’t do the right thing (immunocompromised, for example, where vaccines don’t work so well, those who for medical reasons can’t get it, kids, etc.), it is just better to have mandates…it’s your choice to get it, but if you don’t, you might not be able to work, sit at a restaurant, etc.

as for diabetes and cardiovascular, etc., there are a lot of companies that at least have programs meant to help/encourage folks…it’s not a mandate to get treatment, but incentives to complete physical activity, diabetes consultations/programs, etc. While there certainly is some health consequences beyond the problems they can have themselves for not taking advantage (ie, additional medical costs, taking up medical resources that could be better used elsewhere, etc.), it’s not a direct threat to others the way COVID is. In other words, an individual not attempting to treat those issues will have a lot of consequences to themselves, but at least not to the general public (diabetes, after all, is bad, but certainly not contagious).
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2021, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by canadiancow

An unvaccinated employee puts everyone else, including other vaccinated employees, at higher risk.
us vs them approach is a simplistic way out (hey all our suffering is due to neighbors who are not vaccinating - go get them!) but i doubt it reflects reality of dealing with covid...

for many months we've been telling ppl that vaccination would protect them; now apparently it is vaccinating self and forcing everyone around to vaccinate..
Old Aug 25, 2021, 3:53 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AS MVP G*, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by LAX UA 1K
I think UA means the second shot should be received by the deadline, which gives people two weeks of flexibility from today for scheduling.
The deadline is the drop-dead date for full vaccination with the MRNA vaccines. Meaning you needed to get the second shot two week earlier. If you get it on the last day they are allowing the 1 shot J&J on Sept 27 to meet the reqs too though.
Old Aug 25, 2021, 10:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MM
Originally Posted by canadiancow

Well put.

I feel safer knowing flight attendants are vaccinated, because I am safer.
lincolnjkc, IndyHoosier and wavid like this.
Old Sep 3, 2021, 8:46 am

A fully vaccinated flight attendant did die from Covid yesterday. I am told, but have no verification, that he is not the first at the airline.

A few thousand employees from all departments have joined together to fight for their legal right to medical and/or religious exemptions and have retained legal counsel. United continues to play silly games like requiring employees to submit a written statement from some random acquaintance (not even from a religious leader, which is also not required under law) to attest to one's religious beliefs. They have, as far as anyone knows, neither accepted nor denied anyone's medical or religious claims even after having them under review for over a month, but continue to send daily threats of termination to those who have requested their legally entitled exemption.
Repooc17 likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2021, 9:38 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Whyme
A fully vaccinated flight attendant did die from Covid yesterday. I am told, but have no verification, that he is not the first at the airline.

A few thousand employees from all departments have joined together to fight for their legal right to medical and/or religious exemptions and have retained legal counsel. United continues to play silly games like requiring employees to submit a written statement from some random acquaintance (not even from a religious leader, which is also not required under law) to attest to one's religious beliefs. They have, as far as anyone knows, neither accepted nor denied anyone's medical or religious claims even after having them under review for over a month, but continue to send daily threats of termination to those who have requested their legally entitled exemption.
Seatbelts are proven to make not only you safer but those around you in a collision safer. Wearing a seatbelt doesn't guarantee that you'll be injury-free or even not dead after a traffic accident but it does significantly improve the odds of both you surviving with lower injuries but also not ruining someone else's day by becoming a missile when your rocket launcher -- erm, car -- comes to a sudden stop. (Same thing with seatbelts on airplanes, for that matter) -- the vaccine is no different.

There is a requirement to consider exceptions for medical and religious reasons and the company is, so far as anyone can tell, processing those requests in line with internal policy. No one is "entitled" to an exemption -- there are quite a number of grounds on which the company could determine that an exemption is not warranted. Of course if that happens it will be up to arbitration with the unions and ultimately the courts to decide who is right.
Old Sep 3, 2021, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by lancelot21
Well put.

I feel safer knowing flight attendants are vaccinated, because I am safer.
If you are worried, FAs should be not your target group, considering most FAs don't interact with passengers for more than 30 seconds.

Me? I have been on almost 90 flights this year alone, and I can care less who's vaccinated and who's not. The probability of my exposure rate is probably higher than most. That said, if I get infected, so be it. Life goes on.
txaggiemiles likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.