Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Sleeping/Fatigued FA - Non-punitive report options?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sleeping/Fatigued FA - Non-punitive report options?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2021, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by narvik
Interesting that we're so forgiving to a United flight attendant for napping on duty during a flight, whilst United never showed that kind of compassion to their United Club guests doing the same.

"NO SLEEPING!"
Is sleeping allowed at any United {Club} lounges?
(bolding added)

Never? I have seen people nap in UA lounges. Apparently it’s not always stopped.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2021, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Be thankful the flight operated instead of being canceled due to crew fatigue.

Also, this would have been CommutAir or Air Wisconsin (or SkyWest?) instead of UA.
It was not mainline .. could have been one of these or it could be the other UAEX carrier operating 50 seaters.

Seems the consensus is no harm no foul and so be it.
SPN Lifer and uanj like this.
Old Aug 1, 2021, 10:58 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by cur
don't fa get break and rest periods, esp while cruising? crew 100% are allowed to sleep during breaks. they spend 1/4-2/5 of a long haul flight lying in a bunk sleeping and watching movies.
For UX crew, that 100% is actually 0%. FAs are not allowed to be SEEN sleeping. You either have half the crew taking the crew bunk (where they can sleep, or not) and the other half on the job partying loudly to stay awake during a long haul flight between two meals, with the exception during the distribution of mid-flight snack, or they're supposed to be awake all the time. Hawaii-California and transcon redeyes have no rest periods, just less to do.

In fact, off duty FAs non-revving on leisure/commute in jump seats must be seen awake at all times no matter how long the flight is!
SPN Lifer and lincolnjkc like this.
Old Aug 1, 2021, 11:15 am

Programs: AA Gold Elite
Sleep Inertia is a real physiological thing and it takes a LOT longer than a millisecond to be able to handle an emergency. Wikipedia has an excellent description and it does not take long to read it and to realize that the FA was wrong to fall asleep while on duty. A likely cause in this case is prior sleep deprivation instead of being rapidly awakened from other types of sleep cycles
lincolnjkc likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2021, 8:05 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Definitely a bad situation,but think before you do anything. An F/A at another airline told me it was grounds for dismissal.
Old Aug 1, 2021, 8:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Alpha Golf
Definitely a bad situation,but think before you do anything. An F/A at another airline told me it was grounds for dismissal.
Yeah, I've decided to let it be.

Part of the reason I asked is I know in the US there's a lot of focus on "punishment" which can help to bury safety issues while in some industries/countries with a stronger safety culture there are non-punitive ways to bring a "hey, I don't think this was the safest course of action, but nothing bad happened this time" to light as a learning opportunity before there are truly negative consequences. Doesn't seem that's the primary philosophy at play here so certainly not something to risk dismissal over.
SPN Lifer and cur like this.
Old Aug 2, 2021, 9:34 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
FA rest and duty regulations allow significantly longer duty days than do the refs governing pilots. I’m not surprised that some get fatigued when delays extend their days and shorten their overnights.

if any crew member is too fatigued to operate a flight they are required to call in fatigued and be removed from the flight. Unfortunately, fatigue is often difficult to predict and while you might have felt okay while preparing for the flight, fatigue can it you later when forced to sit due to turbulence. At some point, the body will sleep no matter how hard you try to stop it. This often takes the form of micro-sleep events with your eyes closing and head dropping on their own.

In hindsight, this FA should have called in fatigued for the flight. It is quite possible, though, that she made what she thought was the best decision at the time it had to be made. 20/20 hindsight is not particularly helpful at the time when a decision must be made.
Old Aug 2, 2021, 10:04 am

I’ve had flight attendants tell me that negative reports carry more weight than positive compliments. They can have a lot of passenger compliments in their file, but if they get one negative comment, the negative one seems to trump the positives.
Old Aug 2, 2021, 12:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
(bolding added)

Never? I have seen people nap in UA lounges. Apparently it’s not always stopped.

I used to nap in the carrels at the ORD C16 club all the time before/after my international flights and was never once bothered. I would usually take a carrel against the far wall in the above photo, and could even lay down on the floor there. It was usually very quiet. Sleeping out in the open areas may've gotten you some attention. Once the Polaris lounge opened, I would nap in the very quiet Daybed area regularly-it was one of the best features of the lounge.
SPN Lifer and notquiteaff like this.
Old Aug 2, 2021, 1:27 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by FLYMSY
I’ve had flight attendants tell me that negative reports carry more weight than positive compliments. They can have a lot of passenger compliments in their file, but if they get one negative comment, the negative one seems to trump the positives.

I've seen that all my corporate life one ah-chit cancels out three atta-boys (probably the same in all languages)
uanj likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.