Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Strange inventory situation: US to Tokyo mid-Aug (Japan government capacity limits?)

Strange inventory situation: US to Tokyo mid-Aug (Japan government capacity limits?)

Old Jul 28, 21, 7:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K

Hi all,

I am trying to get from NYC to Tokyo around August 16th. Many of the flights leading up to and on that day are zero'd out in both Y and J. Seat maps indicate flights are actually empty (I know seat maps are not always accurate but first-hand reports say these flights are indeed empty).

Any idea why UA would be doing this and if inventory (particularly J) would open up closer to departure? We have two confirmed in J and 3 waitlisted. J is 0 but cabin looks wide open. Would they let J seats go empty with people on the list (PlusPoints) for some reason?
Old Jul 28, 21, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by tylerdurden4543 View Post

I am trying to get from NYC to Tokyo around August 16th. Many of the flights leading up to and on that day are zero'd out in both Y and J. Seat maps indicate flights are actually empty (I know seat maps are not always accurate but first-hand reports say these flights are indeed empty).
(Good to monitor the Japan sub forum too)
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33413572-post176.html

Unknown if the quota affects how UA is holding back J (maybe they sold out all J and held back Y, similar to how aus/NZ flights work due to mandatory quarantine)
https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2...fic-rises.html
Based on the reservation status, the Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism expects the number of arrivals to reach the daily upper limit in July and August.

It has asked foreign airlines to curb the number of passengers per flight to 40 or below, excluding those in transit and related to the Summer Games, until the end of August.

For Japanese airlines, the ministry has asked them to restrict the number to 3,400 passengers a week
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 29, 21, 6:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Thanks -- I figured it was related to reducing the overall number of passengers on board each flight but doesn't really explain why they'll sell three tickets in coach but not in business. 3 seats are 3 seats no matter what cabin as long as it doesn't change the overall number of passengers on the flight, right?

If, on the day of the flight, we're still on the upgrade list and there are seats available, is there anything in the T&Cs that says they have to confirm the upgrade?
Old Jul 29, 21, 6:51 am

Thanks -- I figured it was related to reducing the overall number of passengers on board each flight but doesn't really explain why they'll sell three tickets in coach but not in business. 3 seats are 3 seats no matter what cabin as long as it doesn't change the overall number of passengers on the flight, right?

If, on the day of the flight, we're still on the upgrade list and there are seats available, is there anything in the T&Cs that says they have to confirm the upgrade?
They won't leave you in Y if you've applied for an upgrade and seats remain available in J at departure.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 29, 21, 7:10 am
Ted

Programs: UA 1P MM, HH G, Marriott G
Paralympics Athletes/Staff? Not sure if they have barred spectators yet but would probably be local only if any allowed.
Old Jul 29, 21, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No, there isn't.

UA's standard practice is to clear people from the list to fill open seats in J. However, they don't have to do it, and your only recourse is that you get to keep your upgrade instrument. (You might get a customer service gesture if you write in and complain).

The best analogue is probably the Australia flights, which are also severely capacity-limited. I suspect if you check the upgrade lists and seat maps for those flights just prior to departure, you can see how they're handling the situation.

Search this Thread