Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA preorder premium cabin meal, Y snacks/drinks - all >800 (900?) mile

Old Jun 29, 2022, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
united.com/preordermeals

Generally available on all flights (including widebodies) over 900 miles except Premium Transcon (EWR<>SFO/LAX)

Pre-order has priority on the flight even about GS/1K and while originally pre-order was limited to a portion of each inflight choice, recent reports pre-order can consume the entire flight's allocation of a particular offering.

archive thread: UA preorder premium cabin meal, Y snacks/drinks {Archive}

Print Wikipost

UA preorder premium cabin meal, Y snacks/drinks - all >800 (900?) mile

Old Jul 28, 2023, 4:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I was under impression pre-order has been available on some int'l wide-bodies, but not domestic ones.
It was available on my July (widebody) TATLs.
Old Jul 29, 2023, 8:40 am

Programs: United 1k, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador and LT-Gold
the only thing that I noticed different today on my upcoming domestic trips is that it lists a number of each to be loaded
of course, most of the 'stuff' is still "unavailable but might be available onboard"

oh well

still no cheese boards
Old Jul 30, 2023, 3:59 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, DL UA
Does United use china, real glassware, and stainless flatware in Premium Economy? I can’t see paying that much money to eat from a cardboard box or paper plates as some of their competitors use in PE. Thank you!
Old Jul 30, 2023, 9:25 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by CLTRob
Does United use china, real glassware, and stainless flatware in Premium Economy? I cant see paying that much money to eat from a cardboard box or paper plates as some of their competitors use in PE. Thank you!
In June EWR-SFO it was China plate for main, salad, and pre-arrival meal, but plastic plate for bread, plastic flatware, plastic cups, plastic container for the dessert. Linen tablecloth and linen napkin for main meal; paper napkin and no tablecloth for pre-arrival meal.

ETA: not 100% sure on plastic flatware for main meal, actually probably stainless. Definitely plastic cups the whole way though.

Im always surprised people talking about how many $$$ theyll pay per hour for certain cabin upgrades consider the meal part of that equation, given that on the ground a decent tasting menu with good service might only be $100 more than McDonalds, but youre certainly entitled to your own value judgments.

I will say, however, that drinking wine or spirits from a plastic cup absolutely degrades the experience. Id consider using real glassware for wine and spirits specifically, while keeping everything else plastic, a huge improvement.

Last edited by jd2000; Jul 30, 2023 at 11:18 am Reason: Correction on flatware
Old Jul 30, 2023, 9:59 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
One thing that annoys me about this is that as a 1K in Y, I can preorder a drink and snack box, but as a 1K in F, I get to choose from the snack basket--and that's (usually) it. Yes, some FAs proactively offer choices from the cart, and most seem open to getting you one for free, but I've also seen several FAs push back that they have to charge for a snack box to a pax in F. Why not extend it to preordering F snacks as well on flights catered with less than a meal?
jd2000 and chavala like this.
Old Jul 30, 2023, 10:01 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
No pre-order option at T-48 for my EWR-IAH flight on August 1 on a 789.
Old Jul 30, 2023, 10:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by exerda
Why not extend it to preordering F snacks as well on flights catered with less than a meal?
Cost.

UA is still chintziest with the snack basket, too. I've never seen more than one pass, and if you're in the last rows, the basket will be completely picked over.
SPN Lifer, Xyzzy and Manisero like this.
Old Aug 1, 2023, 6:36 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
IAH-HNL in less than 5 days on 772HD, no pre-order available.
Old Aug 1, 2023, 6:57 am

Programs: BA, United
Flying ATH to IAD in Polaris in 5 days time and got an email asking me to select my meal in advance..only to find out that Beef and Chicken are already unavailable to preorder. FIVE days out! It was either the poached cod or the celery duo whatever the holy hell that may be, so opted for the Cod. Will report back on the trip and the on the day availability of beef or chicken!

already starting to feel like this will be miles behind the meal I got on Swiss on the outbound.

Old Aug 1, 2023, 7:36 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by britNY
...already starting to feel like this will be miles behind the meal I got on Swiss on the outbound.
That's the right way to think, go in with low expectations!

I wonder how many last minute GS/1K are not getting their choice now with this pre-ordering priority.
A FA once told me that they eat the same food and they are lowest priority so it helps make sure people get what they want so maybe it isnt an issue.
Old Aug 1, 2023, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Flying ATH to IAD in Polaris in 5 days time and got an email asking me to select my meal in advance..only to find out that Beef and Chicken are already unavailable to preorder. FIVE days out! It was either the poached cod or the celery duo whatever the holy hell that may be, so opted for the Cod. Will report back on the trip and the on the day availability of beef or chicken!

already starting to feel like this will be miles behind the meal I got on Swiss on the outbound.

This is ridiculous. How can they be "Out of Stock" during a pre-order process. The whole idea behind pre-orders is to choose what you want, and not rely on what is available on a generic boarding rotation.
What a cheap move to force "Celery duo" HAHAHAHA
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2023, 7:09 am

Programs: BA, United
Originally Posted by goodeats21
This is ridiculous. How can they be "Out of Stock" during a pre-order process. The whole idea behind pre-orders is to choose what you want, and not rely on what is available on a generic boarding rotation.
What a cheap move to force "Celery duo" HAHAHAHA
taking no chances. Have unselected and will take my chances on board! Im in 1F so sorry were out of Beef isnt going to wash I think!!
Old Aug 2, 2023, 8:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
sorry were out of Beef isnt going to wash I think!!
Or: "Yes, you have a choice - you can have the celery or you can not eat."
sczcardfan likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2023, 9:19 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
This seems similar to the issue with snack preorders--where they'd show the hot meal items (like the burger) but all would be "sold out." Last time I couldn't preorder them (on LAX-IAD), onboard the FA said, "No, we have plenty of all the hot items. I'll get you the burger right away."
Old Aug 2, 2023, 2:20 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles

Would definitely bring something to eat with me!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.