Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums >
Reload this Page >

Miles&Points

Airlines and Mileage Programs

United Airlines | MileagePlus

UA has preorder premium cabin meals, Y snacks/drinks - all >800 mile -- still no WBs?

UA has preorder premium cabin meals, Y snacks/drinks - all >800 mile -- still no WBs?

Hide Wikipost
Old Nov 23, 22, 8:53 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
united.com/preordermeals
Fall 2022 -- Only rare occasion widebodies and still hit or miss on narrow bodies.

Originally Posted by bsb7140 View Post
Signature preorder is expanding starting May 1st.

SFO/LAX/IAD narrowbody flights +1500 miles and flights between hubs over 800 miles. ORD also has signature preorder on narrowbody flights over 1500 miles.
Anticipated 1 June enhancements - UA bringing back hot meals to domestic first class -- 800 mile threshold, preorder still narrowbody only

uncomfirmed but source of earlier changes
Originally Posted by bsb7140 View Post
Beginning August 1st pre-order will expand to ALL flights over 800 miles in the premium cabin (including widebody and Intl) excluding flights from Europe.

Print Wikipost

Old Apr 18, 22, 8:27 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by linsj View Post
Today's flight was the first time I got to preorder a meal--breakfast out of ORD. I ordered a baked egg white dish, but food service loaded egg white bites, with sausage and potatoes. The bites were delicious; didn't eat the rest. The flight attendant taking orders said he didn't have any preorders; they didn't show in the app. But he found the orders when he was preparing the meals.
On a recent flight I ordered egg scramble out of SFO to DEN,but egg white bites were catered instead. The FA could see my egg scramble pre-order but the mis-cater negated that. The egg white bites were OK but ... Wrote in and got a few miles, but my point was pre-ordering is nice but meaningless if they can not address the miscatering.
Old Apr 19, 22, 10:50 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
As I'm within 3 days of my outbound flight SFO-BOS on April 21st, Its the time to start watching my reservation like a hawk for any seat and/or aircraft swaps and I noticed that my return flight BOS-SFO on April 24th had a link showing for pre-ordering meals so here were my options and my choice (and I received a confirmation email)
Old Apr 19, 22, 2:49 pm

Programs: United 1K 2 MM
Use chits

Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
Maybe I missed it, but I did not see an answer to the question whether a 1K who pre-orders a snack using a credit card is charged for it. Anyone with experience with that?
We received the complimentary 1K meal and drink: I have a ton of drink coupons from previous years, so I was able to use those with no problem for the extra bottle of red wine
Old Apr 20, 22, 1:55 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Finally got my first pre-order chance, as I posted above I've been flying LAX-EWR recently and there is no pre-order on those wide body flights.

This is for 4/24 ORD-LAX, and unfortunately it says "out of stock" for everything which is of course strange. Too far out maybe?

Old Apr 24, 22, 6:16 pm

Programs: UA Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by mmack View Post
We received the complimentary 1K meal and drink: I have a ton of drink coupons from previous years, so I was able to use those with no problem for the extra bottle of red wine
So if you are using your chits, you would recommend preordering, then handing the FA the coupon? Thanks!
Old Apr 24, 22, 8:10 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Say Vandelay View Post
So if you are using your chits, you would recommend preordering, then handing the FA the coupon? Thanks!
How often are drinks offered for pre-ordering, seems rare (only once reported in this thread
Old Apr 24, 22, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Following up:
1. Pre-order worked on my redeye LAX-IAD where the FA correctly knew which snack box I'd pre-ordered and gave it to me
2. Didn't get charged to my credit card since the FA specifically confirmed I'm me by asking what my last name is/was (and the app knew that I'd moved my seat since placing the pre-order and the pre-order followed)
3. Later in the flight, I reminded another FA that I hadn't received the Buffalo Trace that I'd pre-ordered; she too then queried me to confirm my last name so she could check in the app before delivering the drink and again not getting charged to my stored credit card

Photo of the box/order here: 2022 Let's Eat - Economy Class (Worldwide) & Premium Plus (Domestic)

David
SPN Lifer and Say Vandelay like this.
Old Apr 25, 22, 8:33 am

Programs: UA Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
How often are drinks offered for pre-ordering, seems rare (only once reported in this thread
All of the drinks are available for preordering on my transcon tomorrow. Only the hot/cold food items are Out of Stock.
Old Apr 25, 22, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Was offered pre-order EWR-AUS the other day. As reported above, none of the fresh food options were available for pre-selection. n-board, however, they had those items.
Say Vandelay likes this.
Old Apr 28, 22, 4:16 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Signature preorder is expanding starting May 1st.

SFO/LAX/IAD narrowbody flights +1500 miles and flights between hubs over 800 miles. ORD also has signature preorder on narrowbody flights over 1500 miles.
Old Apr 28, 22, 7:32 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select Executive, United Platinum, Wyndham Platinum, AA Gold, Marriott Gold, Choice Gold
This is my complete pre-order menu for my LAX-IAD flight that departs at 4:48 PM. This will be my first flight on the 737-9 MAX.

Old Apr 28, 22, 7:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Ragu has been enhanced to stew

For someone that leans vegetarian the options are pretty diverse and good TBH.
Say Vandelay likes this.
Old Apr 29, 22, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
I wi;l say UA's new pre-order system has worked very well on domestic flights (when offered). Would nice to see it expand to international. No reason why not, since AA and DL do it just fine.
Old Apr 29, 22, 7:01 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX View Post
I wi;l say UA's new pre-order system has worked very well on domestic flights (when offered). Would nice to see it expand to international. No reason why not, since AA and DL do it just fine.
I have been able to pre-order my business class meal on several airlines. Sometimes it is restricted to flights leaving their main in country hub (like IST for TK, TPE for BR or DOH for QR). On others you can preorder you meal in most cases (or at least you could pre-Covid).

I am amazed that this has not become more popular among the more larger long haul carriers. I assume that in the long therm it would do two things: increase customer satisfaction (assuming that a pre-order would result in a >90% chance of getting your desired meal) and reduce cost/waste due to loading meals you don't use.
Old May 1, 22, 7:48 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by cheltzel View Post
I have been able to pre-order my business class meal on several airlines. Sometimes it is restricted to flights leaving their main in country hub (like IST for TK, TPE for BR or DOH for QR). On others you can preorder you meal in most cases (or at least you could pre-Covid).

I am amazed that this has not become more popular among the more larger long haul carriers. I assume that in the long therm it would do two things: increase customer satisfaction (assuming that a pre-order would result in a >90% chance of getting your desired meal) and reduce cost/waste due to loading meals you don't use.
You also have quality control issues to deal with if you do pre-order, what happens if the meal is not loaded, delayed flight causing re-catering, etc.

Search this Thread