Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA preorder premium cabin meal, Y snacks/drinks - all >800 (900?) mile

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 29, 2022, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
united.com/preordermeals

Generally available on all flights (including widebodies) over 900 miles except Premium Transcon (EWR<>SFO/LAX)

Pre-order has priority on the flight even about GS/1K and while originally pre-order was limited to a portion of each inflight choice, recent reports pre-order can consume the entire flight's allocation of a particular offering.

archive thread: UA preorder premium cabin meal, Y snacks/drinks {Archive}

Print Wikipost

UA preorder premium cabin meal, Y snacks/drinks - all >800 (900?) mile

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2024, 2:35 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
UA can't allow more than certain amt of chicken per flight? Catering ridiculousness

I got this screen on my recent attempt to reserve a meal. Is it me or does this seem ridiculous? Isn't the whole point that they can count up what people want what and cook the amount desired? Or I guess this is just a half-baked first-come first-serve pre-allocation of meals they can't change the number of, for whatever inept reason they've chosen to operate under.
/end rant
Old Mar 22, 2024, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Or perhaps the caterer is having supply issues?
SFO 1K likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by TA
Is it me or does this seem ridiculous?
Its you

maybe the station that will be loading your flight is currently out of chicken.

(I would confess, it should not even be pictured as an option).

But I just had similar when I went to get lunch last Friday.... my local McDonald's ran out of fish. They knew they would be out until Mondays delivery..... yet, they still had fish on the marquee.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
UA just shouldn't have shown it as a choice. Would have solved everything - except for a passenger complaining, "How come there isn't a chicken entree???"
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 3:55 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TA
I got this screen on my recent attempt to reserve a meal. Is it me or does this seem ridiculous? Isn't the whole point that they can count up what people want what and cook the amount desired? Or I guess this is just a half-baked first-come first-serve pre-allocation of meals they can't change the number of, for whatever inept reason they've chosen to operate under.
/end rant
I just returned to this thread for the same reason -- though on UA6 (NRT-IAH) in a few days its the Beef they're out of. I also thought that they'd use preorders to at least influence if not directly drive the catering order but it seems it is just first-come-first-served of whatever quantity they've gotten a bulk discount on.

I had always assumed the 24 hour cutoff was because they needed to get the order to the caterers... if the order is pre-set why can't you order up to time of departure?

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
UA just shouldn't have shown it as a choice. Would have solved everything - except for a passenger complaining, "How come there isn't a chicken entree???"
Or "how come there isn't a fourth option" -- given how buggy UA has gotten with hiding things that should be visible, 1/2 the time I'm booking under our United for Business account after I select the outbound segment it will only offer Economy for the return. Seems like an odd way to grow revenue to only let me book 1/2 of the trip in a premium cabin, I'm not sure that I trust them to only hide things that are actually unavailable.

Last edited by lincolnjkc; Mar 28, 2024 at 4:02 pm
Old Mar 28, 2024, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Recalling my post in the other Eat thread
Originally Posted by fumje
The economy pre-order is kind of defunct. For example, it presents only a subset of the actual options onboard. The only really fully functioning preorder systems are for F dom / J intl. (I won't go on my usual rant about how those have implemented vis a vis the catering allocations.)

There's a P+ intl thread, by the way.
2024 Let's Eat - United Premium Plus (International)
😉
— and then noting recent posts in this thread —

Originally Posted by TA
/end rant
img
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
I just returned to this thread for the same reason -- though on UA6 (NRT-IAH) in a few days its the Beef they're out of. I also thought that they'd use preorders to at least influence if not directly drive the catering order but it seems it is just first-come-first-served of whatever quantity they've gotten a bulk discount on.

I had always assumed the 24 hour cutoff was because they needed to get the order to the caterers... if the order is pre-set why can't you order up to time of departure?

Or "how come there isn't a fourth option" -- given how buggy UA has gotten with hiding things that should be visible, 1/2 the time I'm booking under our United for Business account after I select the outbound segment it will only offer Economy for the return. Seems like an odd way to grow revenue to only let me book 1/2 of the trip in a premium cabin, I'm not sure that I trust them to only hide things that are actually unavailable.

img
— OK, now it's time for a reprise of my rant.

UA is simply being flat out cheap with the pre-order, and in so doing they've also nerfed the GS/1K meal selection benefit (secondary problem). They could adjust the catering, yes, that would technically be easy, but it could cost more money because then they wouldn't be able to slap the last 25% of pax who forgot to or couldn't preorder with the cheapest possible ravioli or pumpkin-seed veggie bowl.

It's now fundamentally a first come first serve option, and they've further been too cheap to hide that at all. Cheap cheap cheap, and then cheap some more.
SPN Lifer, econ, hhdl and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 11, 2024, 9:19 pm

My flight from PBI-EWR on 4/16 is a Dinner Flight. No pre-order option, or email, ability to do it in the app, etc.
Old Apr 11, 2024, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NikoLGA
My flight from PBI-EWR on 4/16 is a Dinner Flight. No pre-order option, or email, ability to do it in the app, etc.
Sometimes the app doesn't load the link until you give it about ten seconds.
Old Apr 12, 2024, 12:25 am

Originally Posted by fumje
Sometimes the app doesn't load the link until you give it about ten seconds.
Negative. Nothing.

The site says "window closed" when it should've just opened. I can't even find the option on the app.....
Old Apr 15, 2024, 9:13 pm

Programs: Whatever AMEX Plat comes with... I buy on price.. Spirit Big Front Seat, want First/buy First
Originally Posted by NikoLGA
Negative. Nothing.

The site says "window closed" when it should've just opened. I can't even find the option on the app.....
I got the preorder email specific to my flight on Friday (as did my companion, who is on a separate PNR) yet we both get “preorder window is closed” since it was sent yesterday. And no option in the app or full website to select meal. Maybe I’m getting my airlines confused…. UA can reservations assist with this? I know Delta they can pick it for you if the app doesn’t work.
Old Apr 15, 2024, 10:29 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by JAXPax
I got the preorder email specific to my flight on Friday (as did my companion, who is on a separate PNR) yet we both get “preorder window is closed” since it was sent yesterday. And no option in the app or full website to select meal. Maybe I’m getting my airlines confused…. UA can reservations assist with this? I know Delta they can pick it for you if the app doesn’t work.
Just try it a few times. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I had this issue yesterday but eventually i was able to select it after like 10 attempts on both .com and app
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.