Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA has preorder premium cabin meals, Y snacks/drinks - all >800 mile except ex-europe

UA has preorder premium cabin meals, Y snacks/drinks - all >800 mile except ex-europe

Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 4, 22, 3:44 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
united.com/preordermeals

Originally Posted by bsb7140 View Post
Signature preorder is expanding starting May 1st.

SFO/LAX/IAD narrowbody flights +1500 miles and flights between hubs over 800 miles. ORD also has signature preorder on narrowbody flights over 1500 miles.
Anticipated 1 June enhancements - UA bringing back hot meals to domestic first class -- 800 mile threshold, preorder still narrowbody only

uncomfirmed but source of earlier changes
Beginning August 1st pre-order will expand to ALL flights over 800 miles in the premium cabin (including widebody and Intl) excluding flights from Europe.
Print Wikipost

Old Jul 27, 22, 1:53 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
UA has better IT than virtually all its competitors, most of which have already moved to pre-order, so I'm pretty sure this boils down to a cost issue rather than any structural or logistical consideration.

What would the cost savings be? That they don't want 28 steaks to be ordered?
Old Jul 27, 22, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by jdrtravel View Post
So they can source the cheapest meals possible at their decision.

David
Old Jul 27, 22, 7:48 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM/Lifetime UC, QFF Platinum, HH Diamond, HawaiianMiles
A bit canceled out by my $100 ETC.
tcdtcd likes this.
Old Jul 27, 22, 8:18 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Beginning August 1st pre-order will expand to ALL flights over 800 miles in the premium cabin (including widebody and Intl) excluding flights from Europe.
Air Houston and VRFast like this.
Old Jul 27, 22, 9:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I'm pretty sure it's cheaper for them to stock each flight generically rather than custom based on pre-orders. Primarily labor costs.

Thumbs up!
Boraxo likes this.
Old Jul 27, 22, 10:37 pm

Source? (Not doubting, just curious.)
Old Jul 28, 22, 10:42 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
I'm pretty sure it's cheaper for them to stock each flight generically rather than custom based on pre-orders. Primarily labor costs.

But they are offerings special meals on Polaris flights, right? So they are setup for this already, no?
Old Jul 28, 22, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by fumje View Post
Source? (Not doubting, just curious.)
I can confirm (I saw the memo). Will write about it tomorrow.
Old Jul 29, 22, 12:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Will this include UA Express flights? Would be great to know ahead of time what to expect on those flights, since catering on them varies so wildly.
Old Jul 29, 22, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA
Just got an email to pre-order a meal for August 1st LAX-NRT in J. This is what the preorder screen looks like:

Curious that there are no pictures.
MatthewLAX and DELee like this.
Old Jul 30, 22, 1:49 am

The "award-winning app" has no way for me to pay. I am in Australia, and want to preorder my snacks for LAX-IAH next Monday. For some reason, the credit card already saved to my app profile does not make an appearance in the snack-ordering screens, and instead it takes me to a form-entry for credit card details. Problem is, it will only allow selection of United States, Guam or Puerto Rico ... not Australia. Consequently I cannot enter the correct billing address for the card and cannot complete the transaction. If I cannot pre-order snacks am I going hungry?
Old Jul 30, 22, 1:53 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by John Darcy View Post
The "award-winning app" has no way for me to pay. I am in Australia, and want to preorder my snacks for LAX-IAH next Monday. For some reason, the credit card already saved to my app profile does not make an appearance in the snack-ordering screens, and instead it takes me to a form-entry for credit card details. Problem is, it will only allow selection of United States, Guam or Puerto Rico ... not Australia. Consequently I cannot enter the correct billing address for the card and cannot complete the transaction. If I cannot pre-order snacks am I going hungry?
No, you won't go hungry. You'll just be able to choose from the options on board. Which, are the same as what you can pre-order. Its just that something is not reserved for you.
John Darcy likes this.
Old Jul 30, 22, 2:50 am

Originally Posted by gmt4 View Post
No, you won't go hungry. You'll just be able to choose from the options on board. Which, are the same as what you can pre-order. Its just that something is not reserved for you.
How will payment be made? I assume they don't want to use my physical card on board. Is that the point where my pre-selected credit card on the United App will be invoked?
Old Jul 30, 22, 7:24 am

How will payment be made? I assume they don't want to use my physical card on board. Is that the point where my pre-selected credit card on the United App will be invoked?
Yes, the FA will use the UA phone look you up your seat number to see there's a payment method available and charge that payment method.

(Potentially non-obvious implication: beware of switching seats.)
SPN Lifer and John Darcy like this.
Old Jul 30, 22, 8:18 am

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
an alternative is to use the PayPal app. Turn on QR code payment in the PayPal app and you can make purchases with the PayPal QR code on board.
https://newsroom.paypal-corp.com/202...Payment-Option

Search this Thread