Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA preorder premium cabin meal, Y snacks/drinks - all >800 (900?) mile

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 29, 2022, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
united.com/preordermeals

Generally available on all flights (including widebodies) over 900 miles except Premium Transcon (EWR<>SFO/LAX)

Pre-order has priority on the flight even about GS/1K and while originally pre-order was limited to a portion of each inflight choice, recent reports pre-order can consume the entire flight's allocation of a particular offering.

archive thread: UA preorder premium cabin meal, Y snacks/drinks {Archive}

Print Wikipost

UA preorder premium cabin meal, Y snacks/drinks - all >800 (900?) mile

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2023, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by blueman2
Flew BOS to SFO 8/7/23, UA2310. Premier Platinum 2MM. Pre-ordered burger 2 days before flight. Sat next to 1K. FA came down and took order from 1K sitting next to me, who ordered a burger (no pre-order). FA did not ask for my order. 5 minutes later, FA came back to say no burgers left. I said I pre-ordered and FA said sorry, no burgers left. I was fine with the lemon chicken, so no biggie. But kind of surprised that 1K request on the plane can/will take away pre-order from non-1K. So what is the value of even doing a pre-order?
seems crazy that UA can not even get this sort of right.

I flew a short AirAsia flight within Thailand this month, and we pre-ordered - items were delivered to us, all with stickers on it that said something like ‘pre-order - not for sale onboard’ (I’m paraphrasing). How FD can make this work, especially given all the glitchiness with pretty much the rest of their customer-facing tech, but not UA is just absurd.

Originally Posted by AirbusFan2B
UA prides itself on being able to reassign your seat for no stated reason at all (and owing the passenger no compensation) - why shouldn’t it follow that a preordered meal could suffer the same fate?
now, granted I’m not a 1K, but can not recall a time since I’ve flown UA - that’s going on 20 years now as my primary carrier - where I have had seats re-assigned - that wasn’t due to a change of aircraft with a different configuration. And yeah, those aren’t fun (not sure how the algorithm even decides - but when it’s happened on UA, it’s actually been better than on other carriers like AC, where, for example, I just got moved l from something like row 18 (roughly halfway between front to back) on a 220 to row 35 or something very near the back on a 7M8, with a dozen+ empty rows in front). I’m certainly not suggesting
it doesn’t happen, but Im willing to bet, given the persistent reports in here (not to mention my experience) that pre-order issues are much more common than random seat changes.

Originally Posted by docbert
Is preordering broken at the moment?
if by ‘at the moment’ you mean ‘always’, then probably. At least, that’s been my experience.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2023, 1:21 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
First time getting my preordered burger after many attempts occurred the other day. I'm sure my MP account was wondering where the biweekly ETC deposit was!
Old Aug 17, 2023, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
First time getting my preordered burger after many attempts occurred the other day. I'm sure my MP account was wondering where the biweekly ETC deposit was!
Did it come with fries? AUS-EWR the burgers that were catered for F did not have them and the FA told me the fries nly show up out of hubs.
Old Aug 18, 2023, 1:48 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.5MM
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Did it come with fries? AUS-EWR the burgers that were catered for F did not have them and the FA told me the fries nly show up out of hubs.
I preordered the burger a few weeks ago, and it did come with fries, and it was DEN-LAX so it is compatible with your theory.

(The fries were these sad little potato lumps that had no crisp to them. I had such high hopes, perhaps because of my recent flights in J on Austrian where I prepped by reading all the trip reports I could find, and one stood out about how the Austrian flying chefs have figured out how to make even fries work well in the air, and here United is with their new attempt at fries so surely they've done their homework. Oh well.) [Edit: I see that Matthew has some tips on how to succeed better with this round of United fries, at https://liveandletsfly.com/crispy-fr...ited-airlines/ ]

(I am also 1 for 1 on preordering my burger, which I regard as a mixed outcome since I had gotten my hopes up for an ETC instead based on kirkwoodj's stories.
Xyzzy likes this.

Last edited by arma5; Aug 18, 2023 at 2:01 am
Old Aug 19, 2023, 8:17 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Originally Posted by arma5
I preordered the burger a few weeks ago, and it did come with fries, and it was DEN-LAX so it is compatible with your theory.

(The fries were these sad little potato lumps that had no crisp to them. I had such high hopes, perhaps because of my recent flights in J on Austrian where I prepped by reading all the trip reports I could find, and one stood out about how the Austrian flying chefs have figured out how to make even fries work well in the air, and here United is with their new attempt at fries so surely they've done their homework. Oh well.) [Edit: I see that Matthew has some tips on how to succeed better with this round of United fries, at [url]https://liveandletsfly.com/crispy-french-fries-united-airlines/ ]

(I am also 1 for 1 on preordering my burger, which I regard as a mixed outcome since I had gotten my hopes up for an ETC instead based on kirkwoodj's stories.
Yes with fries. Flying from non-hubs, there were not fries with the (my) burger given to pax in front of me. So that story jives.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2023, 8:43 am

Programs: MileagePlus Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Platinum
Flying Polaris DEN-FRA in 4 days. Yesterday, 5 (days out) after getting a text & app notification to pre-order, I tried to do so & 2 of the 4 selections (IMO the 2 better choices) were already "sold out." I'll wait to see what's offered when on board.
Old Aug 20, 2023, 11:47 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by docbert
Is preordering broken at the moment? Simply going to https://www.united.com/preordermeals gives me an error that "Preorder window is closed".
After trying multiple times over a roughly 24 hour period I was finally able to get it to work and successfully ordered meals on my 2 domestic first flights yesterday.

In both cases, when the FA's came around to take orders I was told they didn't have what I had pre-ordered, and given my choice of the same 2 meals everyone else was being offered...
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2023, 11:49 am

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Yes with fries. Flying from non-hubs, there were not fries with the (my) burger given to pax in front of me. So that story jives.
I've had fries with the burger at least a dozen times from non-hubs. I'm fact, I've never seen the burger without fries, although I have seen the burger not catered at all. Some non-hubs even have variants of the burger that are better than the standard burger (e.g., include bacon).
Old Sep 3, 2023, 10:16 am

No burgers loaded on our SEA-IAH flight yesterday. At least 6 pax around us had preordered them. The new ropa vieja beef enchiladas we preordered were both loaded and were delicious
Old Sep 3, 2023, 1:39 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
Pre-order on international flights seems to be consistently available (actually catered a little less so) since August 1. Pre-order on domestic wide-bodies was also supposed to happen on August 1 and never materialized. Any sense when that might happen?
Old Sep 15, 2023, 2:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K; BR Gold
Flight is about 2.5 days from departure. Super helpful pre-order options... all 3 are "out of stock". When I first checked, it was only the first two options as out of stock.

Old Sep 16, 2023, 4:24 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by SkiBikeBeer
Super helpful pre-order options... all 3 are "out of stock".

Re: United's Pre-Order Meal 'system'

What is the actual purpose of United's meal pre-ordering?
Is it just to give passengers the impression United is on par with other, properly catered airlines?
Has there really been an increase in passengers getting the meal they want, after introducing meal pre-ordering? The current implemented system just seems to be shuffling the same amount of each meal around, without actually changing what is loaded onto the plane.
Could be wrong here, but at this point I can't identify any real benefit.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2023, 4:32 am

Programs: UA 1k (12 year fallen GS) 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by narvik

Re: United's Pre-Order Meal 'system'

What is the actual purpose of United's meal pre-ordering?
Is it just to give passengers the impression United is on par with other, properly catered airlines?
Has there really been an increase in passengers getting the meal they want, after introducing meal pre-ordering? The current implemented system just seems to be shuffling the same amount of each meal around, without actually changing what is loaded onto the plane.
Could be wrong here, but at this point I can't identify any real benefit.
Not trying to be too cynical -- but this seems to be just another way for UA to push responsibility for good service to the passenger instead of a way to provide better service -- I mean honestly -- 5 days before your flight and you can't get chicken instead of beef?

It's all a smoke screen -- and the normal J passenger will hear something like this -- "I'm so sorry that you didn't preorder your meal for your $11k ticket -- I do have the vegetarian ravioli left with a crushed croissant, a frozen appetizer -- and no -- there is no sundae on this flight"

Once again UA promises us the elevator and we get the shaft... The point of pre-ordering is to provide BETTER service -- on UA it just annoys everyone!
Old Sep 16, 2023, 5:57 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
I mean honestly -- 5 days before your flight and you can't get chicken instead of beef?
Likely that United just provisions ~16 meals each of the three choices on a 789 (for instance) no matter what, and then distributes maybe 75% half-heartedly according to their pre-order system, and uses the 25% buffer for pre-takeoff order taking priorities. (numbers just a guess)
Seems to be no actual organization in place that could ever make this work properly, I agree.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2023, 6:05 am

Programs: UA 1k (12 year fallen GS) 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by narvik
Likely that United just provisions ~16 meals each of the three choices on a 789 (for instance) no matter what, and then distributes maybe 75% half-heartedly according to their pre-order system, and uses the 25% buffer for pre-takeoff order taking priorities. (numbers just a guess)
Seems to be no actual organization in place that could ever make this work properly, I agree.
The issue comes down to a simple financial decision -- and as someone that used to work in the industry I am quite sure of this -- if you aren't willing to spend a few extra hundred dollars per flight to "overstock" premium meals for tickets that cost on average more than $7k -- well then you get UA... You would NEVER see this on NH or SQ or EK -- UA is just cheap plain and simple -- and their attempts to provide more "choice" just lays bare to what they really care about....
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.