Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA preorder premium cabin meal, Y snacks/drinks - all >800 (900?) mile

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 29, 2022, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
united.com/preordermeals

Generally available on all flights (including widebodies) over 900 miles except Premium Transcon (EWR<>SFO/LAX)

Pre-order has priority on the flight even about GS/1K and while originally pre-order was limited to a portion of each inflight choice, recent reports pre-order can consume the entire flight's allocation of a particular offering.

archive thread: UA preorder premium cabin meal, Y snacks/drinks {Archive}

Print Wikipost

UA preorder premium cabin meal, Y snacks/drinks - all >800 (900?) mile

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2023, 2:36 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by britNY
taking no chances. Have unselected and will take my chances on board! I’m in 1F so “sorry we’re out of Beef” isn’t going to wash I think!!
Preorders and then GS &1K will have priority regardless where they are in the cabin, if neither you will be asked for a second chance and may not get your first.(or second).
Old Aug 3, 2023, 10:09 am

Programs: DL-Plat, UA-Plat 2MM, AA-PlatPro, B6-Mosaic 3, AY-Plat, HY-Globalist, MR-LT Plat, HH-Gold
I have flights in separate PNRs, LAX-IAD-YUL, YUL-IAD-LAX. Both transcons are on 787. The o/b is tomorrow within 24 hours, so I didn’t expect to be able to select a meal. But when I click on the pre-order link, I don’t get an option to select which flight/PNR, I just get a message that preorder window is closed with a link to access my reservation for tomorrow. My return flight is within 5 days, but I don’t see any way to get to it. Any way to select individual PNRs?
Old Aug 3, 2023, 5:47 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
no preorder on IAH-HNL or HNL-IAH
Old Aug 3, 2023, 6:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
I keep getting the preorder emails (SEA-EWR and EWR-SEA) but the option doesn't seem to actually work.
Old Aug 7, 2023, 7:34 am

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
No pre-order for SFO-HNL for 8/11. This is getting ridiculous.
Old Aug 7, 2023, 7:45 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by bluedemon211
No pre-order for SFO-HNL for 8/11. This is getting ridiculous.
Wide body equipment or not?
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2023, 9:32 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by goodeats21
This is ridiculous. How can they be "Out of Stock" during a pre-order process. The whole idea behind pre-orders is to choose what you want, and not rely on what is available on a generic boarding rotation.
What a cheap move to force "Celery duo" HAHAHAHA
Originally Posted by britNY
taking no chances. Have unselected and will take my chances on board! I’m in 1F so “sorry we’re out of Beef” isn’t going to wash I think!!
Unfortunately, this has to do with how UA does the pre-ordering - it's not a stated preference and then they change the number of each meal needed; rather, the overall number of meals remains the same, but a percentage of each meal choice is made available for pre-ordering, and the remainder is available onboard on a first come first serve basis. GS/1K still receive first choice unless there are too many GS/1K, in which case a dance-off would be required.
Old Aug 7, 2023, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by PTahCha
Unfortunately, this has to do with how UA does the pre-ordering - it's not a stated preference and then they change the number of each meal needed; rather, the overall number of meals remains the same, but a percentage of each meal choice is made available for pre-ordering, and the remainder is available onboard on a first come first serve basis. GS/1K still receive first choice unless there are too many GS/1K, in which case a dance-off would be required.
I understand how United chose to implement this process, but I stand by my statement...it is ridiculous.

Puts the FAs in an impossible situation. Are they really going to tell a Global Service passenger that just moved onto the flight that they are stuck with a duo of celery for dinner, because that is all that's left by United being so cheap?
The entire mind-set behind this is very telling how United perceives passengers in their premium cabins.
sczcardfan likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2023, 11:12 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by goodeats21
I understand how United chose to implement this process, but I stand by my statement...it is ridiculous.

Puts the FAs in an impossible situation. Are they really going to tell a Global Service passenger that just moved onto the flight that they are stuck with a duo of celery for dinner, because that is all that's left by United being so cheap?
The entire mind-set behind this is very telling how United perceives passengers in their premium cabins.
Maybe I'm not explaining the situation, so here's a hypothetical example for a 60 seat J cabin:

When the 10 beef and 10 chicken have been pre-selected, 10 of each remain available for onboard ordering, but showing as "sold out" on the pre-ordering site. If nobody pre-ordered the cod or celery duo, then 12 cod and 8 celery duo are available onboard.

Your last minute GS still has all options available and not stuck with celery duo.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2023, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
I'm in coach (for now - CPU looks possible) on a 753 Thursday morning HNL-LAX. Got e-mail to pre-order snacks and beverages. Followed link and got options to pre-order snack and/or beverage, but Bistro items were not shown as option. By "not shown", I mean they weren't even there. Previously, they were shown, but the indicated inventory was always "unavailable".
Old Aug 7, 2023, 9:49 pm

Programs: United 1k, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador and LT-Gold
I agree - this entire "game" with pre-ordering has gotten silly
For those of you who say "1k/GS" get what they want - clearly this is not the case
I dont even bother with this anymore - even when I clicked on the link immediately up getting the email, everything but the usual basics were not available
I am also noticing that there is no alcohol options most of the time to pick thru
they still want to charge me even though I am 1K on occasion

and let us not forget that I am not sure what is more rare - the slice of cheese and cracker that they call a cheese plate or the mystery of the Old Fashions (yes, there is an entire thread devoted to this)
Old Aug 8, 2023, 8:15 am

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold AA Gold Choice Gold Wyndham PLAT IHG PLAT Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by mfirst
I agree - this entire "game" with pre-ordering has gotten silly
For those of you who say "1k/GS" get what they want - clearly this is not the case
I dont even bother with this anymore - even when I clicked on the link immediately up getting the email, everything but the usual basics were not available
I am also noticing that there is no alcohol options most of the time to pick thru
they still want to charge me even though I am 1K on occasion

and let us not forget that I am not sure what is more rare - the slice of cheese and cracker that they call a cheese plate or the mystery of the Old Fashions (yes, there is an entire thread devoted to this)
An even on occasions when I have been in Y+, I still have been able to nag ALL of the Old Fashions on the plane, regardless of the length of the flight. Yeah, I am cutthroat on my UA Old Fashions and have been commended on that thread for my efforts.
SPN Lifer and kirkwoodj like this.
Old Aug 8, 2023, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Maybe I'm not explaining the situation, so here's a hypothetical example for a 60 seat J cabin:

When the 10 beef and 10 chicken have been pre-selected, 10 of each remain available for onboard ordering, but showing as "sold out" on the pre-ordering site. If nobody pre-ordered the cod or celery duo, then 12 cod and 8 celery duo are available onboard.

Your last minute GS still has all options available and not stuck with celery duo.
If that is the way they are really doing it, then better than I thought, but still ridiculous. I didn't see them make that explanation during the process though, right?

Trying to think of another carrier that has pre-order, but then indicates to their premium cabin customers that certain options are already unavailable.
Trying to think of a rationale besides cheapness for setting up this way. As opposed to letting everyone that spends time and effort to make the choice get their choice. And using that data to know what is popular to load for any outliers.
Old Aug 8, 2023, 8:48 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Yes, widebody. I know historically pre-order was not available, but I thought UA announced it would be available beginning August 1. Am I mistaken?
Old Aug 8, 2023, 11:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
here's a hypothetical example for a 60 seat J cabin
A big part of the problem is that UA's allocations are weighted towards the cheapest options. For a 60 seat J cabin, they may only get five of the salmon (or whatever is the most expensive entreee), and 30 of the short rib. So while a GS will probably get first choice, 1Ks well may not.
goodeats21 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.