Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Global Services Status Extended to January 2023

Global Services Status Extended to January 2023

Old Jul 23, 2021, 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by LHR Wannabee
Just read on The Points Guy that the extension did not include anyone who received their GS status through their company so that might be why some of the people here posted about having a large spend year to date, but no extension yet.
I'm pretty sure Ms. P_man got it through her employer - she was always way on the low side for an SFO GS. But... she was renewed even though she didn't fly much last year and quit in March. Go figure.

So now I have the best of both worlds: MM partner GS when I fly, and Ms. P_man isn't spending time away from home.
Old Jul 24, 2021, 12:03 am

Originally Posted by escapefromphl
Your indignation is misplaced. It’s a business it’s not meant to be fair.
I'm pretty sure as a business you want to make sure your best customers feel rewarded - which is exactly the purpose of GS.
Old Jul 24, 2021, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by iflyabunch
I'm pretty sure as a business you want to make sure your best customers feel rewarded - which is exactly the purpose of GS.
But is they the best customers _now_ or earlier?

David
Old Jul 24, 2021, 1:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Although the extension does not impact me, I think it is an excellent move by UA. You cannot please everyone, but the extension is probably a better decision than not extending it.

Just one data point here, I have done fair amount of personal travels this summer between DC, SFO, LAX and FLL, quite often I was one of less than handful of GS and sometimes the only one on the flight. It is a significant drop from pre Covid-19, so I am not sure having extending GS status would
impact upgrade at present time. I do observe more people buy up, so there are less F seats for upgrade using Plus Points. Those elites expecting complimentary upgrades should expect sitting in Y, and GS’s got nothing to do with upgrades not clearing.
cesco.g, SPN Lifer and wxguy like this.
Old Jul 24, 2021, 1:50 am

Originally Posted by DELee
But is they the best customers _now_ or earlier?

David
I see your point. I agree they're just trying to secure all the future lucrative business that's currently sitting on the sidelines waiting for borders to open and travel to resume. I think it's a smart move by them. But GS has always been something I felt was meaningful, and I have always been treated like this is the case. It's probably just my pride speaking here, but I do feel there should be something to differentiate those of us who have actually remained loyal, spent the money, and endured the cuts.
DJ_Iceman and gelfergg like this.
Old Jul 24, 2021, 7:32 am

Programs: None - previously UA
It's probably just my pride speaking here, but I do feel there should be something to differentiate those of us who have actually remained loyal, spent the money, and endured the cuts.
I just think you need ask yourself what would you do in the same situation running an airline. Some of those who have GS are decision makers or influencers no doubt representing a large amount of $ still sitting on the sideline. I think UA is hoping for a big year in '22 internationally so this will likely be the last year this will be offered, even though the virus is sure to be around longer than that. Some of those GS customers will have moved on and won't ever be back to the same level of travel. Your continued loyalty will pay off eventually.
SPN Lifer and Dyce like this.
Old Jul 24, 2021, 8:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
The purpose is to generate revenue. Whether any particular GS feels sufficiently special is not something that impacts the primary goal of generating revenue.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2021, 8:35 am

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
This seems like a decision made out of fear, not generosity. United is afraid that some of those previously-lucrative customers who earned GS by spend, and who haven't been flying much, are going to start flying (and spending) again next year. If they lost their GS status, it would have been the perfect time to try out another airline. Now many of them will stick with United because those GS benefits are tough to give up compared to starting from scratch (or at least some lower level from a status match) with someone else.
cesco.g, SPN Lifer, uanj and 3 others like this.
Old Jul 24, 2021, 8:54 am

Programs: Latam Pass Black; UA 1K, 1MM; Marriott LT
I have only something like one cheap paid flight this year and its not likely to change much, so I wouldn't even make Silver. However, since MM, I'm LT Gold. I wonder if they don't extend my GS, they would drop me to 1K instead of all the way back to Gold....
Old Jul 24, 2021, 8:59 am

Programs: 12 year UAL GS, LT Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Titanium, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by saccoNY
just got the email too...phew!!!! also at $17k+
Got mine yesterday as well. I feel I would have made it regardless as I have been flying weekly since last June albeit with zero Intl. flights but I appreciate the extension nonetheless. Taking my first trip back to Brazil in August. .....Hopefully!
Kmxu likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2021, 9:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
delete
SPN Lifer and n8-the-gr8 like this.
Old Jul 24, 2021, 9:21 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
This seems like a decision made out of fear, not generosity. ....
I have no insight into internal thinking / motivations, but it seems one step in recovering is to go back to your preCOVID top revenue customers and encourage, as they resume travel, to continue to use UA as their preferred travel provide. A first principal in sales is it is easier to retain a customer than to get new customers.

This does not mean you forget those that have been traveling, UA can mange more than one customer incentive program at a time.
Dyce likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2021, 12:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K | Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Just one data point here, I have done fair amount of personal travels this summer between DC, SFO, LAX and FLL, quite often I was one of less than handful of GS and sometimes the only one on the flight. It is a significant drop from pre Covid-19, so I am not sure having extending GS status would
impact upgrade at present time. I do observe more people buy up, so there are less F seats for upgrade using Plus Points. Those elites expecting complimentary upgrades should expect sitting in Y, and GS’s got nothing to do with upgrades not clearing.
I can confirm that in my experience at least I am not preventing anyone from being upgraded this year.

For flights where I didn’t buy first class or get upgraded a long time ago (only in two instances where I purchased last year) I have sat at #1 on the upgrade list and not been cleared. First class is being purchased outright. I am not standing In the way of this small set of 1K’s who have been flying a lot this year and aren’t getting upgraded. No one is getting upgraded (on my flights again).

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 24, 2021 at 1:28 pm
Old Jul 24, 2021, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by LimeyFlyer
I have only something like one cheap paid flight this year and its not likely to change much, so I wouldn't even make Silver. However, since MM, I'm LT Gold. I wonder if they don't extend my GS, they would drop me to 1K instead of all the way back to Gold....
UA has no official soft landing policy, but hey, you are a GS...
Old Jul 24, 2021, 12:32 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
I have no insight into internal thinking / motivations, but it seems one step in recovering is to go back to your preCOVID top revenue customers and encourage, as they resume travel, to continue to use UA as their preferred travel provide. A first principal in sales is it is easier to retain a customer than to get new customers.

This does not mean you forget those that have been traveling, UA can mange more than one customer incentive program at a time.
While I agree curious as to why, if it is indeed the case, they are not extending those GS flyers who have corporate accounts.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.