UA resuming some flights to Canada

Old Jul 17, 2021, 8:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, Bonvoy Ambassador / Lifetime Titanium
UA resuming some flights to Canada

Hi there. With Canada re-opening the border in mid-August to fully vaccinated non-essential travel, does anyone have any indication or have seen any reports on when UA will ramp up service again? Could always fly AC but would rather maximize PQD given the current promotions in effort to keep status.
Old Jul 17, 2021, 11:55 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by seravaf
...With Canada re-opening the border in mid-August to fully vaccinated non-essential travel, does anyone have any indication or have seen any reports on when UA will ramp up service again? ....
Given all the past false indications, UA may wait until this formally occurs.
Old Jul 17, 2021, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Given all the past false indications, UA may wait until this formally occurs.
I agree, they may take it slow.

im actually curious to see what happens when the November schedule gets its first big update. I’m looking to go to YYZ in the fall, and so have been looking at the schedule. SFO/DEN-YYZ isn’t scheduled to start until November. IAH gets 1 service in Oct (UAX). I think EWR-YYZ starts in October (at only 1x). Even ORD-YYZ isn’t scheduled to go more than 1 x daily (on a CR5, so only 50 seats/day) until November (when at least now, it seems to be scheduled to go back to the almost perfect-pandemic 6x per day - but I bet that will come down). In the meantime, AC serves most, if not all, UAs routes to Canada, most even as codeshares. So the ability to get into Canada is still there.

im debating how to best get from east bay to YYZ in Oct. - if I just take the AC nonstop from SFO, or do a 1-stop from SFO/SJC on all UA-metal. I feel like I need to do it soon, if the announcement comes on Monday, which is the rumor - I feel like prices could climb again pretty quickly, even into the fall.
Old Jul 17, 2021, 12:23 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by emcampbe
I agree, they may take it slow.

im actually curious to see what happens when the November schedule gets its first big update. I’m looking to go to YYZ in the fall, and so have been looking at the schedule. SFO/DEN-YYZ isn’t scheduled to start until November. IAH gets 1 service in Oct (UAX). I think EWR-YYZ starts in October (at only 1x). Even ORD-YYZ isn’t scheduled to go more than 1 x daily (on a CR5, so only 50 seats/day) until November (when at least now, it seems to be scheduled to go back to the almost perfect-pandemic 6x per day - but I bet that will come down). In the meantime, AC serves most, if not all, UAs routes to Canada, most even as codeshares. So the ability to get into Canada is still there.

im debating how to best get from east bay to YYZ in Oct. - if I just take the AC nonstop from SFO, or do a 1-stop from SFO/SJC on all UA-metal. I feel like I need to do it soon, if the announcement comes on Monday, which is the rumor - I feel like prices could climb again pretty quickly, even into the fall.
Keep in mind the Canada government is limiting INTL arrivals to only four airports: YUL, YYZ, YYC, and YVR which leaves out several transborder routes until the policy is changed (some of them served by UA pre-COVID).

Last edited by JimInOhio; Jul 17, 2021 at 12:55 pm
Old Jul 19, 2021, 4:38 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Keep in mind the Canada government is limiting INTL arrivals to only four airports: YUL, YYZ, YYC, and YVR which leaves out several transborder routes until the policy is changed (some of them served by UA pre-COVID).
Starting Aug 9, the list expands to 9 airports with the addition of YOW, YQB, YWG, YEG, and YHZ. I believe that covers all the airports that UA was flying to Canada in early 2020 before things shut down, so the restrictions on arrivals would not be a barrier for UA resuming service to previously served destinations after Aug 9. Details
kalderlake likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 5:28 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by gcashin
Starting Aug 9, the list expands to 9 airports with the addition of YOW, YQB, YWG, YEG, and YHZ. I believe that covers all the airports that UA was flying to Canada in early 2020 before things shut down, so the restrictions on arrivals would not be a barrier for UA resuming service to previously served destinations after Aug 9. Details
Canadians still can’t come in to the US unless they get a negative Covid test regardless of vax status

Last edited by HNLbasedFlyer; Jul 20, 2021 at 9:15 am Reason: added the part of my response that got cut off
Old Jul 19, 2021, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Canadians still can’t come in to the US
Source?

Canadians or someone who have spend the last 14 days in Canada were never banned to come in to the USA.
They are not able to use the land border but they were always able to fly between the two countries unless they have been into a country indicated in the Presidential Proclamations within the last 14 days before they arrive at the USA.
Plane-is-home likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 8:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Posted a few hours ago

Old Jul 20, 2021, 5:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Source?

Canadians or someone who have spend the last 14 days in Canada were never banned to come in to the USA.
They are not able to use the land border but they were always able to fly between the two countries unless they have been into a country indicated in the Presidential Proclamations within the last 14 days before they arrive at the USA.
I thought the restrictions were from Canadian government.
Old Jul 20, 2021, 5:19 am

Originally Posted by TomMM
I thought the restrictions were from Canadian government.
The land border closure to non-essential travelers has been by mutual consent. AFAIK, that’s not changing on August 9.
Old Jul 20, 2021, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
they definitely also used to fly to Regina (I think, or maybe it was Saskatoon) from ORD, but maybe those flights ended pre-2020?

Originally Posted by 24left
saw this on FB also. Issue is the frequency, unless they are updating this in a upcoming schedule update soon.

as an example, UA currently flies 1 CR5 (thats 50 seats!) daily ORD-YYZ, and that’s what’s in the schedule until 10/31 right now. Posted some of the [lack of] flights scheduled right now above. The only meaningful amount of capacity to Canada right now is coming from AC, which is still highly reduced from 2019, of course. Hopefully that does change sooner now. Right now, looking to book something in Oct, and thinking fares could spike on the limited amount of flights until more capacity is added.
Old Jul 20, 2021, 8:34 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by emcampbe
they definitely also used to fly to Regina (I think, or maybe it was Saskatoon) from ORD, but maybe those flights ended pre-2020?

saw this on FB also. Issue is the frequency, unless they are updating this in a upcoming schedule update soon.

as an example, UA currently flies 1 CR5 (thats 50 seats!) daily ORD-YYZ, and that’s what’s in the schedule until 10/31 right now. Posted some of the [lack of] flights scheduled right now above. The only meaningful amount of capacity to Canada right now is coming from AC, which is still highly reduced from 2019, of course. Hopefully that does change sooner now. Right now, looking to book something in Oct, and thinking fares could spike on the limited amount of flights until more capacity is added.
Yes, UA did fly to other destinations in the past, but that service was stopped before 2020, presumably for commercial reasons. They'd flown to YQR, I believe YXS at one point, and then YYT, and YQM if you go a few years back. But those weren't operating in early 2020, so those stations were off the UA schedule well before COVID hit.

And yes, right now UA's schedule to Canada is very bare-bones. Looking from YYC, the only route I see through October is YYC-DEN (previously there was 2-3 daily DEN, 2 daily SFO, 2x IAH, 2-3xORD) as well. Hopefully they restore some service to resume some routes to Canada in the near future.
Old Jul 20, 2021, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Any increases by United to Canada would be welcomed at this point. Flying AC is just not pleasant in any way.
Old Jul 20, 2021, 9:55 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Yes, UA did fly to other destinations in the past, but that service was stopped before 2020, presumably for commercial reasons. They'd flown to YQR, I believe YXS at one point, and then YYT, and YQM if you go a few years back. But those weren't operating in early 2020, so those stations were off the UA schedule well before COVID hit.

And yes, right now UA's schedule to Canada is very bare-bones. Looking from YYC, the only route I see through October is YYC-DEN (previously there was 2-3 daily DEN, 2 daily SFO, 2x IAH, 2-3xORD) as well. Hopefully they restore some service to resume some routes to Canada in the near future.
YQB (to EWR IIRC) was rather popular for the pharma crowd. Airport and the various governments also spent a fortune building the new terminal and a nice space for hoped-for pre-clearance for U.S. departures.
Old Jul 20, 2021, 11:23 am

Another route that was axed years ago is ORD-YEG. I believe the pre-COVID destinations from ORD were (west to east): YVR, YYC, YWG, YYZ, YOW, and YUL. No doubt UA will start ramping up some of their Canada service but I suspect they'll want to get a handle on demand as well.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.