Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Devalues use of PlusPoints for Optimized Revenue

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Devalues use of PlusPoints for Optimized Revenue

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2021, 11:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by bamboola
A bit off topic, but when F is waitlisted, does it matter whether one uses PP or miles in hopes of getting upgraded? Does one have priority over the other option?
Not in theory, no.
bamboola likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2021, 11:34 am

But miles may be a better value because it costs 20 PP per domestic segment, but only 20k miles for both segments of the outbound flight. Am I computing this correctly?
Old Aug 1, 2021, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bamboola
But miles may be a better value because it costs 20 PP per domestic segment, but only 20k miles for both segments of the outbound flight. Am I computing this correctly?
No; for PP, you get charged the highest value for any segment that clears. If you have two 20 PP flights, and you put in an upgrade request at the same time, you only get charged 20 PP whether one or both clear.
bamboola and 50Kthehardway like this.
Old Aug 1, 2021, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
No; for PP, you get charged the highest value for any segment that clears. If you have two 20 PP flights, and you put in an upgrade request at the same time, you only get charged 20 PP whether one or both clear.
Thanks for the clarification!
Old Aug 2, 2021, 3:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
Delta does it, don’t they?

I don’t mean to cast doubts but my bias flies DL as a Diamond and he gets free upgrades domestically all the time. I find there’s no difference between complimentary and plus points on UA domestic. I save them for long haul but that’s not working out well right now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.