Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Another Fauxlaris vs Polaris question

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2021, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
A long trip in the front end of planes isn't enhanced by a/c downguages along the way. I flew Delta IAH-Nagoya 6 times/year for 3 years a while back. 3-segment outbound was tolerable - often regional jet to 757 to MD-11. Coming back was reverse, often MD-11 to 757 to RJ. I'd rather end a trip if I can on a big, comfortable plane, not a smaller one (even in domestic F).
DCFlyIAD likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 7:53 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM
Originally Posted by etna9726b
To IAH on 787-9 Faux. Option to ORD on 787-8 Po.
Actual flight time is reduced by an hour. Overall trip time increased by 2 hours due to ORD layover.
Hard pass on an ORD detour. Take one of the Diamond center seats, especially a bulkhead and enjoy better foot space and aisle access. Food service is awful right now, so plan accordingly.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by Dyce
As far as I know IAH-AMS isn’t flying yet, and the schedule placeholders are getting rebooked closer to departure (fauxlaris faux schedule).
so choosing IAH-AMS is likely to get you rebooked via ORD or EWR at the moment anyhow…
Interesting, I'm booked on and IAH-AMS flight in October. How far out are they rescheduling? Do we know when that route will be active?
Old Jul 14, 2021, 4:42 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by djmp
Hard pass on an ORD detour. Take one of the Diamond center seats, especially a bulkhead and enjoy better foot space and aisle access. Food service is awful right now, so plan accordingly.
Just flew Polaris ATH-EWR two days ago. I was shocked at how poor the food quality was. It is below an average domestic FC meal. UA needs to do WAY better on this.
nnn, EWR764 and Dyce like this.
Old Jul 14, 2021, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JNelson113
Just flew Polaris ATH-EWR two days ago. I was shocked at how poor the food quality was. It is below an average domestic FC meal. UA needs to do WAY better on this.
Quite the opposite experience den-fra recently.. ymmv as usual..
Old Jul 14, 2021, 7:29 am

Programs: UA GS, UA MM, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Uber Platinum :)
Originally Posted by DutchessPDX
Interesting, I'm booked on and IAH-AMS flight in October. How far out are they rescheduling? Do we know when that route will be active?
KLM are flying that route. I’d expect a notification (if you booked direct with United) of any changes up to 6/7 weeks out. If you booked third party you’ll have to check your itinerary on United to see if there have been any changes.

you’ll likely get rebooked via ORD or EWR if United doesn’t restart IAH-AMS (which is IMO unlikely…)

Bait & switch, selling a flight (to my knowledge) that United hasn’t flown in over a year…
Old Jul 14, 2021, 9:03 am

Programs: UA, Marriott, SPG, Hyatt, Hilton, Omni
I have an upcoming EWR-BRU flight on a 787-10 Dreamliner, the seat map shows 1-2-1. I assumed these were the real Polaris seats (?), but how can you tell if it's not the new seats? Regardless, I'm bound to this flight whether it's faux or real. Thanks
Old Jul 14, 2021, 9:04 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by hudsonlaluna
I have an upcoming EWR-BRU flight on a 787-10 Dreamliner, the seat map shows 1-2-1. I assumed these were the real Polaris seats (?), but how can you tell if it's not the new seats? Regardless, I'm bound to this flight whether it's faux or real. Thanks
787-10 is only in one configuration (1-2-1 up front).
Old Jul 14, 2021, 9:28 am

KLM are flying that route. I’d expect a notification (if you booked direct with United) of any changes up to 6/7 weeks out. If you booked third party you’ll have to check your itinerary on United to see if there have been any changes.

you’ll likely get rebooked via ORD or EWR if United doesn’t restart IAH-AMS (which is IMO unlikely…)

Bait & switch, selling a flight (to my knowledge) that United hasn’t flown in over a year…
Thanks. We booked directly with UA and paid for a business class seat for the three of us. I’d be fine with going through ORD because we would get real Polaris seats. We’re coming from PDX so we would save a few hours on that route too.
Dyce likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2021, 10:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
787-10 is only in one configuration (1-2-1 up front).
And all 787-10 are real Polaris seats.

See UA? There would be no confusion if you had pressed on with the 789 updates. Could have been all done by now.
Plane-is-home, tcdtcd and DCFlyIAD like this.
Old Jul 14, 2021, 10:38 am

Programs: UA, Marriott, SPG, Hyatt, Hilton, Omni
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
And all 787-10 are real Polaris seats.

See UA? There would be no confusion if you had pressed on with the 789 updates. Could have been all done by now.
Okay, thanks for the confirmation on real Polaris seats for my upcoming flight, although not sure what you mean by the 789 updates. I checked the aircraft type on my itinerary and it says Boeing 787-10 Dreamliner.
Old Jul 14, 2021, 1:13 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM
Fauxlaris is funny, but the old seats aren't bad. For me, sleeping was more comfortable in old config as I could keep my knees up if I wanted. Also, when traveling solo I always chose bulkhead, usually 8E on the PMCO 777 or, even better, 5E which was next to the crew rest seat of of 5D (usually empty). 6'3" so now I bang my knees on the tray table when it sleeping as it is stowed under the tv area, reducing height in the footwell. Love the new polaris but it's not all positives.
higher_flyer and narvik like this.
Old Jul 14, 2021, 3:00 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
How often are the new Polaris 789 swapped out when booking seatmap shows the old config?
Old Jul 14, 2021, 3:10 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by CLEguy
How often are the new Polaris 789 swapped out when booking seatmap shows the old config?
It varies by route, but 40% are presently converted, 15, and one is at the conversion site -- there are 38 in total
Old Jul 14, 2021, 6:21 pm
Original Poster

As far as I know IAH-AMS isn’t flying yet, and the schedule placeholders are getting rebooked closer to departure (fauxlaris faux schedule).
so choosing IAH-AMS is likely to get you rebooked via ORD or EWR at the moment anyhow…
Dyce had the crystal ball in Your Itinerary Gets Fauxkd game of phantom scheduling. I was about to ask what an IAH schedule placeholder was, until United notified me today I'm now flying via ORD with a 5 hour layover. SMH. With regard to my original post, I am no longer Faux, just real Po.
DutchessPDX likes this.

Last edited by etna9726b; Jul 14, 2021 at 7:06 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.