Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CLE-OGG: Layover at ORD or SFO or LAX?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2021, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

CLE-OGG: Layover at ORD or SFO or LAX?

Traveling to Maui from Cleveland on Thanksgiving day on united (with a 3 yo, has been ok with 4 hrs flights previously). Flight award options are
1. CLE-ORD-OGG, 1 hr 23 min layover, the 8 hr flight on dreamliner
2. CLE-SFO-OGG, 5 hr layover
3. CLE-LAX-OGG, 5 hr layover

Which would you choose? Was leaning toward ORD for dreamliner and shorter travel time, but not sure about the shorter layover and lack of alternate flight options if delayed. Also, unsure if breaking up the trip will be better for the toddler. We do have united club passes/priority pass for lounge access on layover. All thoughts appreciated!
Old Jul 11, 2021, 12:36 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Well - always risks with ORD - but I would not do 5 hour layovers at either SFO or LAX. I'd definitely do ORD in the scenario's you wrote.
DutchessPDX and wrp96 like this.
Old Jul 11, 2021, 12:37 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
recent discussion, Which flights would you take, OGG-EWR w kids? - FlyerTalk Forums
Old Jul 11, 2021, 1:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by jmgbanz
Traveling to Maui from Cleveland on Thanksgiving day on united (with a 3 yo, has been ok with 4 hrs flights previously). Flight award options are

Which would you choose? Was leaning toward ORD for dreamliner and shorter travel time, but not sure about the shorter layover and lack of alternate flight options if delayed. Also, unsure if breaking up the trip will be better for the toddler. We do have united club passes/priority pass for lounge access on layover. All thoughts appreciated!
As someone with a toddler, a shorter layover is always better. ORD is a no-brainer in this situation.
coolbeans202 likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2021, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by jmgbanz

What about CLE-DEN-OGG or CAK-ORD-OGG?
Old Jul 11, 2021, 2:26 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
What about CLE-DEN-OGG or CAK-ORD-OGG?
These are good alternatives if schedule changes make the connection too short. I think that November schedule has not been finalized.
Old Jul 11, 2021, 4:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
With ORD, there's no risk of a dg to a 737.
tcdtcd likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2021, 5:36 pm
_fx

Programs: AS 75K, DL Platinum
Does your child like planes, or merely tolerate them? A friend of mine’s kid recently got at least an hour of entertainment out of being able to adjust the dimmable windows on the 787 with a button.
tcdtcd likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2021, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
As someone with a toddler, a shorter layover is always better. ORD is a no-brainer in this situation.
+1 - as a parent who has made a trip to Maui with a 3yo.
Old Jul 11, 2021, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Agreed, but with the caveat that I would have all food options with me and not plan to rely on any concessions in ORD. There likely won't be time for much of anything. The longer options would be better for stopping for a meal, but five hours is just too long.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2021, 6:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold
Given the choice to avoid transiting through ORD during the winter, I'd do so at all costs. SFO and LAX are much less likely to face weather delays. Given the three options presented, SFO and LAX are safer bets from a 'arriving according to schedule' perspective.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2021, 7:00 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K 3MM (former 12 yr GS), Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
Originally Posted by IMissThe747
Given the choice to avoid transiting through ORD during the winter, I'd do so at all costs. SFO and LAX are much less likely to face weather delays. Given the three options presented, SFO and LAX are safer bets from a 'arriving according to schedule' perspective.
Thanksgiving is not “winter” at ORD. 🙄
Agree with the majority of the posters above. ORD a no-brainer for multiple reasons. Plane type (long haul), short flight first, etc.
Old Jul 11, 2021, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IMissThe747
It's not that bad. For several years I regularly have flown through ORD multiple times every winter. The worst delay experience was having an RJ with its landing gear stuck down for the scheduled 2.5h flight time, which turned it into a 3.5h flight and nearly scuttled my 40m connection.

Given those options, ORD is definitely the right choice.
Old Jul 11, 2021, 7:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by _fx
Does your child like planes, or merely tolerate them? A friend of mine’s kid recently got at least an hour of entertainment out of being able to adjust the dimmable windows on the 787 with a button.
Good point. More tolerates, will *hopefully* not be a screaming or running kid with enough tablet and snacks supplied.

Thank you. I think will go with ORD as many recommend. We could try to see if the earlier flight from CLE-ORD can be an option too, atm its not showing up as a saver award flight option but perhaps later.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 11, 2021 at 7:56 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Jul 11, 2021, 7:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by tcdtcd
Thanksgiving is not “winter” at ORD. 🙄
Agree with the majority of the posters above. ORD a no-brainer for multiple reasons. Plane type (long haul), short flight first, etc.
Originally Posted by fumje
It's not that bad. For several years I regularly have flown through ORD multiple times every winter. The worst delay experience was having an RJ with its landing gear stuck down for the scheduled 2.5h flight time, which turned it into a 3.5h flight and nearly scuttled my 40m connection.

Given those options, ORD is definitely the right choice.
Well, I stand corrected then.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.