Is it worth it to go 1K

Old Jul 14, 2021, 10:26 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
Originally Posted by scubadu
Ummm.... hopefully businesses will evaluate whether business travel is actually necessary/makes sense in support of business goals, not whether a FFP has attempted to lure their employees to travel in order to maintain status.
I think it is likely to be a mixed bag on business travel coming back for a while. I am starting to have clients ask me to come out to see them later in the year, and seeing some conferences coming back in person. It seems like it will be a while before it comes back to what it was pre-COVID, and even then it may come back for some people and roles more than others. But as business travel does come back, what airlines I choose will again be based on a combination of route, expense (including purchasing F/business or availability of upgrades) and experience, including hard and soft product. The FFP could influence what I fly, if it affects one of those things, but won't make me fly if I don't need to. Though I am looking to burn up some miles for business travel, too, as I have some stranded at a couple of airlines that I would rather use than let expire. I don't mind using them for business travel to get on an airline I like better than the one I would otherwise fly, and if it also reduces the hit to the budget, all to the good.
Old Jul 14, 2021, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Kmxu
I told my friends that 1K is addictive. Once you tastes it, you wont give up year to year. I am glad that I have reached 3 MM. Now, I travel at my own pace and at fares that I like.
But LT GS is now less than 1 MM away...

David
Old Jul 14, 2021, 8:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: ,united 1k, AA EXP, HH Diamond,BA gold, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by DELee
But LT GS is now less than 1 MM away...

David
the problem with mm is once you get to 2 you have to go to 3 because 1k is much better than plat and once your at 3 you have to go to 4 cause GS is much better than 1k. The only place you can settle is 1mm because plat isnt that much better than gold. Its addictive
SPN Lifer, nnn, TechOps and 3 others like this.
Old Jul 14, 2021, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by united 1k flyer
the problem with mm is once you get to 2 you have to go to 3 because 1k is much better than plat and once your at 3 you have to go to 4 cause GS is much better than 1k. The only place you can settle is 1mm because plat isnt that much better than gold. Its addictive
Yup. That's why Kmxu has been a fixture over in Mileage Run Discussion forum on the UA/Star Alliance mileage run threads over these past few years...

David
SPN Lifer and Flying Machine like this.
Old Jul 14, 2021, 9:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
!

Originally Posted by Kacee
Yep.

When I joined FT, the upgrade game was alive and well, and it was possible to fly J/F on economy fares a very high percentage of the time if you played the game well. Now that's no longer true, and the game has changed to finding deep discounted J/F fares. Similar to mileage redemption game, where it's changed from scoring aspirational redemptions (e.g., LH/TG F to SE Asia, with a stopover in Europe), to just finding some way to use the things at a halfway decent redemption value (over 1 cpp for UA miles).
Truth!
I used to love the game of finding J/F awards/UGs to aspirational international destinations. Now, if nothing confirmable at booking shows-up within a reasonable amount of time, I'll just go to the cheapest airline with an acceptable J product and buy it. Domestically, I can almost never find any PZ at booking, so it makes no difference to me at all who I fly. I just concentrate on finding the minimum total travel time (including commute time to the airport), combined with the cheapest price for the F cabin. Often it's UA but I also fly a lot of AA and DL.

1K status today is nothing special and I've found that status makes almost no difference when you're just paying for J/F.

Last edited by zombietooth; Jul 14, 2021 at 9:48 pm
Old Jul 16, 2021, 7:26 am

Programs: *
Originally Posted by zombietooth

1K status today is nothing special and I've found that status makes almost no difference when you're just paying for J/F.
Depends on what one considers a difference but even in J it is better to be a 1K than have no status (of course the incremental value is much less compared to in Y). When there are IRROPs, downgrades, you have to make changes to your travel plans, you require any special consideration etc., you are far more likely to have a better outcome and experience as 1K compared to someone without status.

I have traveled in J in airlines where I have no status and they just view you as a paying passenger, not much different from if you were paying for a Y ticket. It is a big difference as a 1K, as they regard you not simply as a paying passenger but rather a repeat customer, and a very loyal one too. Indeed I have been trying to get an issue resolved with one such airline regarding J tickets I bought for a third party and five phone calls later and multiple other phone attempts that end up "all agents are busy", I have still not resolved the matter. As a 1K on United I have almost never had to make a second phone call, and certainly never not able to speak to an agent, regarding any matter.
bluedemon211 and 8MiHi like this.
Old Jul 16, 2021, 9:44 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by ani90
Depends on what one considers a difference but even in J it is better to be a 1K than have no status (of course the incremental value is much less compared to in Y). When there are IRROPs, downgrades, you have to make changes to your travel plans, you require any special consideration etc., you are far more likely to have a better outcome and experience as 1K compared to someone without status.

I have traveled in J in airlines where I have no status and they just view you as a paying passenger, not much different from if you were paying for a Y ticket. It is a big difference as a 1K, as they regard you not simply as a paying passenger but rather a repeat customer, and a very loyal one too. Indeed I have been trying to get an issue resolved with one such airline regarding J tickets I bought for a third party and five phone calls later and multiple other phone attempts that end up "all agents are busy", I have still not resolved the matter. As a 1K on United I have almost never had to make a second phone call, and certainly never not able to speak to an agent, regarding any matter.
1K is just amazing to have. I called about a tight connection for my upcoming trip to Iceland (xxx-ORD-KEF). Xxx-ORD has been delayed for most of the last seven days. I had about one hour at ORD. The booked fare class for an earlier flight was unavailable. The agent called her supervisor to open the lower fare bucket. I got an even exchange, but it took 33 minutes to get it done. There was no pushback at all. The agent might be also awed by my 3MM status.😀😀 But the point is that United has treated me well because of my status.
SPN Lifer, Boraxo, TechOps and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 16, 2021, 11:10 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by DELee
Yup. That's why Kmxu has been a fixture over in Mileage Run Discussion forum on the UA/Star Alliance mileage run threads over these past few years...

David
And very knowledgeable as well, he helped me a few times for some Asia related travel
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2021, 5:48 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus - 1K
1k is absolutely worth it for a few to a lot of reasons depending on the person. As someone who did 200+ segments pre-covid and now 50+ international with a title change post covid, you are treated different in IRROPS situations which makes the difference in almost any trip. I recently was delayed from IAD->FRA and was backed up on every possible connection onto my final of STR. The 1k line is also one of the best tools out there for when it's about to hit the fan or already has.

Plus Mrs. rj_flyer likes the CPU clearance rates and points plus.
ani90, Kmxu and 8MiHi like this.
Old Jul 16, 2021, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by zombietooth
...1K status today is nothing special...
Huge downgrade with no free burger and Moscow Mule in coach. Sigh - those were the days.....

n.b. - I give UA very low hurdles and they today can't even clear a penny standing on end...
Old Jul 16, 2021, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
OP has to take his/her own situation, and make the proper determination whether to chase for 1K while weighing the pros and cons. Me saying 1K is the best/worst is irrelvant.

As someone who is paying most airfares out of pocket, I have no desire to spend 24K+ (or a smaller but still large amount when flying partners) to earn 1K. And, because I am a cost sensitive traveler, I have no loyalty toward any one carrier. I fly based on schedule and cost, and status is secondary (byproduct). In most years, I would be mid-tier in multiple programs. The only reason I have achieved top status in 2 programs (~$6K on UA flights only but 18K PQP, and $2K on AS/AA) this year is due to promotions, and have spent much less than I would normally in the process.

On the scenario if I fly all the time up front on paid fares, which is very rare in reality, I would have even less affinity toward status, especially given the superior J/F cabin out there other than UA.
Old Jul 16, 2021, 6:57 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
The point about 1K being treated better in IRROPS is true, but I cant say ny experiences have been bad as a Plat in paid J, nor have I had AF or BA treat me badly in IRROPS in paid J with low status.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2021, 7:41 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by Repooc17
OP has to take his/her own situation, and make the proper determination whether to chase for 1K while weighing the pros and cons. Me saying 1K is the best/worst is irrelvant.

As someone who is paying most airfares out of pocket, I have no desire to spend 24K+ (or a smaller but still large amount when flying partners) to earn 1K. And, because I am a cost sensitive traveler, I have no loyalty toward any one carrier. I fly based on schedule and cost, and status is secondary (byproduct). In most years, I would be mid-tier in multiple programs. The only reason I have achieved top status in 2 programs (~$6K on UA flights only but 18K PQP, and $2K on AS/AA) this year is due to promotions, and have spent much less than I would normally in the process.

On the scenario if I fly all the time up front on paid fares, which is very rare in reality, I would have even less affinity toward status, especially given the superior J/F cabin out there other than UA.
its currently only 15,000 PQPs or 13,500 PQPs with 36 segments to earn 1K status
Old Jul 16, 2021, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
it’s currently only 15,000 PQP‘s or 13,500 PQP‘s with 36 segments to earn 1K status
During a normal year is the premise...piggying back the notion about 1K being "addictive". The clock resets on January 1 each year, and I don't think anyone can expect lower qualification requirements + bonuses lasting forever, even beyond this year.
Old Jul 16, 2021, 9:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by Artpen100
The point about 1K being treated better in IRROPS is true, but I can’t say ny experiences have been bad as a Plat in paid J, nor have I had AF or BA treat me badly in IRROPS in paid J with low status.
I have only Gold status on DL and am treated better there than as a 1K on UA. Last year, when I flew over 150K miles on UA and only around 35K on DL, I had 2 IRROPS situations that were handled by DL with competence, speed and generosity. In fact, I was shocked because, as a 3 MM flyer on UA, and loyal to them until last year, I had been programmed to believe that I would suffer by flying other carriers without status. This has not proven to be the case.
Based on my admittedly small sample size, flying in paid F or J on any other major carrier gets you treated well and, in the case of DL, treated better as a Gold than as a 1K on UA.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by zombietooth; Jul 16, 2021 at 9:47 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.