Is it worth it to go 1K

Old Jul 11, 2021, 5:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Ti, LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Boraxo
I miss 1K - Plat is definitely a downgrade boarding with the masses, particularly at hubs like SFO and IAH where everybody and their mother is 1k.
I was going to say that pre-boarding when I'm in F on an E75 is a nice perk - though lately there's been a decent number of 1Ks rushing the gate. You don't avoid the scrum with 1K, you just get an earlier, slightly smaller, but also more savvy scrum.

The other two meaningful perks for me these days are no wait time to speak with an agent and the occasional ability to confirm a domestic upgrade in advance.
cricketer, Boraxo, seanp7 and 3 others like this.
Old Jul 11, 2021, 8:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold
For me, 1kvoice - both the phone and the email - make it well worth it. So much time saved over the years with 1kvoice. Priority with IRROPS recovery is a nice benefit as well. Sure, all of the other benefits are nice, but I've found those two to be truly special. Depending on your own personal time/schedule/needs, the time saved with 1kvoice may be enough to make it worth the stretch.

I've had good luck with PP overall, and appreciate that as well. I agree with Kacee that the slightly smaller, more savvy scrum during pre-boarding is a nice perk as well. For me, a stretch from platinum to 1K is worth it.
Old Jul 11, 2021, 9:09 pm

Programs: United 1K MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Here's my take as on PZ availability based on long ago experience in UA Revenue Management.

Given the uncertainty of when the 777s will be flying again coupled with uncertainty as to when various destinations will open up and overlaid with many previously business travel intense companies still deferring almost if not all long haul travel, UA Revenue Management will keep PZ availability close to zero until 30 days when the AI programs will take hold and ascertain how many seats up front are destined to not be sold which will then open up space.

To my point, a very quick look at the first few flights noted above shows P = 9 & PZ = 9 on August 14 departures and P = 9 & PZ = 0 on September 14 departures.

Until long haul business travel normalizes which may be well into 2022, expect PZ to be only widely available within 30 days -- which makes planning long haul travel for known but well into the future events very difficult.

Good luck to all.
Old Jul 11, 2021, 9:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K /2mm / Marriott Lifetime Titanium , Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Kacee
I am not seeing that at all.

We're going to Europe right after Christmas . . . J cabins are all empty, and yet the flights are all PZ0 (and of course, IN0), even on Dec. 26, which is traditionally one of the best days of the year to fly long-haul. So just bought a P fare instead for $1967 (and will fly LX for both long haul segments). This pretty much sums up my 1K experience the past few years.
this is my reality as well. No PZ>0 in or out of any Hawaii gateway in Q4, so no value in plus points except head of line privileges for battle field upgrades (which mean you have to be ok if they dont clear)

But for OP - I was a 1K for 22 straight years ending in Jan of 2020. Fell to my lifetime Gold. Huge difference in the little things (like upgrades from feeder cities to hubs, and cust service).

I did make the effort to regain it - and will around Labor Day.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 12:01 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by Kacee
I am not seeing that at all.

We're going to Europe right after Christmas . . . J cabins are all empty, and yet the flights are all PZ0 (and of course, IN0), even on Dec. 26, which is traditionally one of the best days of the year to fly long-haul. So just bought a P fare instead for $1967 (and will fly LX for both long haul segments). This pretty much sums up my 1K experience the past few years.
That's a great rate! You almost don't need pp if UA would continue rates like that!
Kacee likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 12:21 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by cmculp
this is my reality as well. No PZ>0 in or out of any Hawaii gateway in Q4, so no value in plus points except head of line privileges for battle field upgrades (which mean you have to be ok if they dont clear)
Well - Hawaii is experiencing the same tourism numbers currently as pre-pandemic even without international arrivals. With that said - I've had success with PlusPoints and at least going into SFO-HNL HNL-SFO on the 777-300 more often than not everyone down to Silvers have been clearing with CPU's. It is tough on any airline to get upgrades with instruments to Hawaii from the week before Thanksgiving until a week past NYE.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 2:47 pm

Programs: UA 1.65MM 1K Emeritus, Platinum, UC Lifetime , HHonors Gold, Presidential Plus card holder
Is it worth it? Probably not but I am in a similar position as the OP in some respects and I have the reservations to make it.
The bonus PQPs put me in reach as the required spend is about what I averaged pre-pandemic. So its like a half off sale and I am of a mind to take advantage of it.
All of this year's flights are personal/leisure with my wife so she will be 1K as well with a bit more spend since my PP CC spend PQPs do count (not the FPQPs) toward 1K.
If she does get there then our daughter can be my MM companion for the year.
Makes for a happy family.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 6:15 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
My experience is 100% yes. I was 1K for many years but dropped to Platinum (I have lifetime plat status thanks to 2MM status) the last four years. Last year, I was able to earn 1K again thanks to all the bonuses. You get FAR better service from United as a 1K, and it's a noticeable difference. As a Plat they are nice to you but as a 1K they bend over backwards to help you. This comes in very handy. I also just flew to Athens and back in Polaris thanks to my PlusPoints and that was huge too. I am now committed to requalifying for 1K until I can hit 3MM status and have lifetime 1K.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 7:17 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by JNelson113
My experience is 100% yes. I was 1K for many years but dropped to Platinum (I have lifetime plat status thanks to 2MM status) the last four years. Last year, I was able to earn 1K again thanks to all the bonuses. You get FAR better service from United as a 1K, and it's a noticeable difference. As a Plat they are nice to you but as a 1K they bend over backwards to help you. This comes in very handy. I also just flew to Athens and back in Polaris thanks to my PlusPoints and that was huge too. I am now committed to requalifying for 1K until I can hit 3MM status and have lifetime 1K.
I told my friends that 1K is addictive. Once you tastes it, you wont give up year to year. I am glad that I have reached 3 MM. Now, I travel at my own pace and at fares that I like.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 7:50 am

Programs: NEXUS, MileagePlus Silver, Frontier Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
The mileage earning bonus makes it worth it!
Old Jul 13, 2021, 8:04 am

Programs: 1K
Will get it again this year due to the much lower qualification levels on some OPM, but next year on my own dime? We now have DL and F9 at our tiny airport and UA has not budged on pricing and the differences have been over 2x more on UA. That said, IRROPS help as a 1K is night and day difference compare to plat.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 3:10 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
I guess I am the dissenting voice on this one. Having been 1K for years and even a brief stint as a GS I am not impressed. Call my a cynic or maybe my expectations are to high. You have to take the last year out of the equation as far as evaluating it I believe. More recently I have had a run of PP upgrade rejections, demoted class due to "equipment changes", and even getting "downgraded" on a mileage F ticket to E+. I have now gone back to basically using my PPs on every flight I book fwiw. Several of these episodes have been posted here. A few years back I was disappointed with UA, lost my GS status, and I started to use AS for more of my travel needs. However, it didn't take long before AS changed routing (early pandemic) and they quickly no longer worked for me. So back I come to UA somewhat with my tail between my legs. Would I like to keep my current 1K status, absolutely for whatever little I get out of it but I won't go out of my way or spend extra travel dollars to do so. Currently UA services most of the cities I need to travel making them again my go to airline especially being based out of SFO, so as for now this is the devil I know. I have found over the years if you want to fly F pay for it! You will be very disappointed if you think your elevated status with really any airline will get you there consistently.
SPN Lifer, Boraxo and Artpen100 like this.
Old Jul 14, 2021, 6:17 am

Programs: *
Originally Posted by Boraxo

That said it is hard to justify spending 2 grand unless you are certain you can use the PP for international or transcon upgrades.
Nothing is ever certain, especially in these times.

The more relevant question, I think, is whether OP thinks they and family are likely to make enough international flights (not including paid J) in 2022/3 to give multiple opportunities to use the pluspoints earned with the 1K status. As stated in this thread the single most dominant reason for inability to use pluspoints in 2020/21 has been lack of opportunity for international travel. Planned domestic US travel won't count as not a viable means for using PP both pre and post pandemic.

Originally Posted by zdog2x
Will get it again this year due to the much lower qualification levels on some OPM, but next year on my own dime?
UA will almost certainly have to revise the qualification requirements, if not the whole elite structure, for 2023 qualification if they are to successfully compete for post pandemic recovery travel. People, especially business travelers, have learned not to travel and will take some encouragement to get them back.

Last edited by ani90; Jul 14, 2021 at 6:36 am
Old Jul 14, 2021, 8:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Ti, LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by nomad420
I have found over the years if you want to fly F pay for it! You will be very disappointed if you think your elevated status with really any airline will get you there consistently.
Yep.

When I joined FT, the upgrade game was alive and well, and it was possible to fly J/F on economy fares a very high percentage of the time if you played the game well. Now that's no longer true, and the game has changed to finding deep discounted J/F fares. Similar to mileage redemption game, where it's changed from scoring aspirational redemptions (e.g., LH/TG F to SE Asia, with a stopover in Europe), to just finding some way to use the things at a halfway decent redemption value (over 1 cpp for UA miles).
SPN Lifer, Boraxo, TechOps and 2 others like this.
Old Jul 14, 2021, 8:55 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by ani90
<snip>People, especially business travelers, have learned not to travel and will take some encouragement to get them back.
Ummm.... hopefully businesses will evaluate whether business travel is actually necessary/makes sense in support of business goals, not whether a FFP has attempted to lure their employees to travel in order to maintain status.

Regards
SPN Lifer likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.