Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is it worth it to go 1K

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2021, 10:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Continited
Every long haul flight I’ve booked has been PZ9, so it clears immediately.
I am not seeing that at all.

We're going to Europe right after Christmas . . . J cabins are all empty, and yet the flights are all PZ0 (and of course, IN0), even on Dec. 26, which is traditionally one of the best days of the year to fly long-haul. So just bought a P fare instead for $1967 (and will fly LX for both long haul segments). This pretty much sums up my 1K experience the past few years.
Old Jul 11, 2021, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Plus points makes it worth it. Now that things are reopening I’ve planned several euro trips this year, and been able to buy economy and upgrade to business with plus points on all the long haul segments for both me and my family. Every long haul flight I’ve booked has been PZ9, so it clears immediately. Very easy and very worth it (especially since regular fare business class has been ridiculously high on those same flights lately from what I’ve seen)
Originally Posted by seanp7
Plus Points have been useless to me this year since I found cheap biz fares before the rebound, and used up award miles. I will try to use them later in the year, but I'm not hopeful.

1K is great for UPGRADES (CPU or instruments), and I like the pre-boarding element (& free drink/snack in Y).
Value might be less than with cheap P fares TATL, but my recent trip was $700 in K-class using 160 +Ps vs. paying $2200 for a P fare. Now, is a $1500 saving the best you can get for 160 +Ps .... nope. But I was able to confirm at booking and I still have many left. There are good ways to burn them right now.
seanp7 and 8MiHi like this.
Old Jul 11, 2021, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Every long haul flight I’ve booked has been PZ9, so it clears immediately.
Which route and dates? The best I've found is PZ1 on West bound TATL and PZ0 Eastbound.
Old Jul 11, 2021, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TomMM
Which route and dates? The best I've found is PZ1 on West bound TATL and PZ0 Eastbound.
checking randomly for next Wednesday, July 14.

EWR-ZRH PZ9IN9I9
ZRH-EWR PZ9IN9I9
EWR-BRU PZ9IN9I9
BRU-EWR PZ9IN9I9
EWR-LHR PZ9IN9I9
LHR-EWR PZ9IN9I9
EWR-AMS PZ9IN9I9
AMS-EWR PZ9IN9I9
IAD-ZRH PZ9IN9I9
ZRH-IAD PZ9IN9I9
IAD-BRU PZ5IN5I3
BRU-IAD PZ9IN9I9

I mean all the ones I checked right now to be honest. Not seeing one that is not.
Old Jul 11, 2021, 1:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I’m happy with 1K. The phone agents alone make it worth it for me.
Old Jul 11, 2021, 1:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
The difference is worth it in normal times. Even now, though, where things are picking up but not quite to normal, I would not stretch for it unless you were doing meaningful international travel in 2022 and are willing to accept the risk that if things change due to variants, you will be stuck with higher status that is not worth a ton (IMO, the status differential domestically between 1K and Platinum isn't a huge deal).
drewguy likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2021, 2:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Kacee
I am not seeing that at all.

We're going to Europe right after Christmas . . . J cabins are all empty, and yet the flights are all PZ0 (and of course, IN0), even on Dec. 26, which is traditionally one of the best days of the year to fly long-haul. So just bought a P fare instead for $1967 (and will fly LX for both long haul segments). This pretty much sums up my 1K experience the past few years.
I've bought a couple of tickets in that scenario and applied plus points and had the upgrade clear within a couple of days of booking. Not sure what the game/algo is, but with all fares going to an ETC and some crazy cheap refundable coach fares around, these were easy bets to place.

That said for OP, not clear to me with the info provided that it's worth going for it. Use that extra money next year where you need it and you'll likely come out ahead.
Kacee likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2021, 2:10 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
I would wait and see what UA has in plan for Q4 elite qualifying promotion before taking a mileage run trip.
Old Jul 11, 2021, 2:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
The difference is worth it in normal times. Even now, though, where things are picking up but not quite to normal, I would not stretch for it unless you were doing meaningful international travel in 2022 and are willing to accept the risk that if things change due to variants, you will be stuck with higher status that is not worth a ton (IMO, the status differential domestically between 1K and Platinum isn't a huge deal).
AGree the biggest value to 1K is if you can use Plus Points internationally. Right now it's not clear how much opportunity there will be for that in 2022, though obviously YMMV (Europe seems like yes; Asia not so much). Personally would burn PP domestically only for Hawaii or coast to coast in a normal year . . .
Old Jul 11, 2021, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by drewguy
AGree the biggest value to 1K is if you can use Plus Points internationally. Right now it's not clear how much opportunity there will be for that in 2022, though obviously YMMV (Europe seems like yes; Asia not so much). Personally would burn PP domestically only for Hawaii or coast to coast in a normal year . . .
Given how high domestic demand is right now, I do not think you would have a high clearing rate on those routes, with the exception being JFK-SFO/LAX (where UA is trying to find their footing again).
Old Jul 11, 2021, 3:30 pm

Programs: United, Marriott, Ritz-Carlton, Hilton
Flying as 1K is better than the lower tiers and not having any status. The cost/benefit analysis is spreadsheet hell and doesn't satisfy the emotion of your question. Do it if you have the time, money, and inclination.
8MiHi likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2021, 4:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by cricketer
I've bought a couple of tickets in that scenario and applied plus points and had the upgrade clear within a couple of days of booking. Not sure what the game/algo is, but with all fares going to an ETC and some crazy cheap refundable coach fares around, these were easy bets to place.

Might have tried that if I hadn't found a $1967 P fare with LX operated overwater (LX39 being my favorite TATL from SFO).
Originally Posted by cfischer
checking randomly for next Wednesday, July 14.

EWR-ZRH PZ9IN9I9
ZRH-EWR PZ9IN9I9
EWR-BRU PZ9IN9I9
BRU-EWR PZ9IN9I9
EWR-LHR PZ9IN9I9
LHR-EWR PZ9IN9I9
EWR-AMS PZ9IN9I9
AMS-EWR PZ9IN9I9
IAD-ZRH PZ9IN9I9
ZRH-IAD PZ9IN9I9
IAD-BRU PZ5IN5I3
BRU-IAD PZ9IN9I9

I mean all the ones I checked right now to be honest. Not seeing one that is not.
Not many of us buying TATL 3 days out.
Old Jul 11, 2021, 4:13 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by jmanrunner
Flying as 1K is better than the lower tiers and not having any status. The cost/benefit analysis is spreadsheet hell and doesn't satisfy the emotion of your question. Do it if you have the time, money, and inclination.
I am going to make 1k for ‘22, but won’t push it for ‘23. If my regular flying on P/Z gets me there, great. Otherwise, probably not. I used to think pre-board was great, but flying out of PDX there seem to be a ton of GS/1K that the
novelty has quickly faded. And flying out of SFO, still not much fun. No, the glory days of going for it have worn off.
Old Jul 11, 2021, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
I miss 1K - Plat is definitely a downgrade boarding with the masses, particularly at hubs like SFO and IAH where everybody and their mother is 1k.

That said it is hard to justify spending 2 grand unless you are certain you can use the PP for international or transcon upgrades. Are you willing to fly E+ for 10 hours if you don’t clear? I’m not. Everybody has a different experience it depends on routing and dates. I have little flexibility so it doesn’t work for me.

Don’t get me wrong 1K is a major step above Plat but not with 2 grand.
nnn and ekwang like this.
Old Jul 11, 2021, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee

Might have tried that if I hadn't found a $1967 P fare with LX operated overwater (LX39 being my favorite TATL from SFO).

Not many of us buying TATL 3 days out.
With empty flights you worse comes to worse SDC and clear into available PZ. I really don't think it is a major deal right now. Pick ZRH with HD 763 and you are pretty much guaranteed PZ.
seanp7 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.